Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Amazon Prime

The silver screen
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Amazon Prime

Post by Del.Monte »

If you're thinking of me, I have smelt the "The Flying Scotsman" but never seen her in the flesh! In another life I was travelling back from Yorkshire and my service train was following in the path behind a special hauled by her. Every time we entered a tunnel recently vacated by the special we got the fully benefit of the romance of steam as it was back in the days of opening windows!
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Non-Stop" 2014

Liam Neeson stars as a US Air Marshal onboard a hijacked plane, but is he the good guy or the hijacker?

Run of the mill thriller but ultimately too formulaic for me.

4/10 - due to my liking Liam Neeson as an actor.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Back in the early 1970s I was a fan of the original Star Trek series but never really got into the post William Shatner era thus I not seen "Star Trek Beyond" (2016) until last night.
Entertaining enough but I still prefer the old TV series where they came in peace, you could always tell who wasn't going to make it the end of the show and Scottie could never get the ship to function properly. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Soon to arrive on Amazon Prime this month. My son was lucky enough to have worked on this as a prostethics technician in special effects.He enjoyed working with everyone involved and thought it was great that this was made into a series as he was always interested in the books.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Bosch" Season.1. (2014) Crime drama

Needing a bit of serious action after the "Baron Noir" I tried this strangely titled series - the name had put me off - I was pleasantly surprised and watched three episodes at one go last night. There are 7 seasons up to 2021, so plenty for me to get stuck into these cold, pub-free, evenings.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Wheel of time has started (re: Kadmans post above) but I need to give it more effort. Thought I was going to like it as I love Rosamund Pike but in this I don't.

Anyway while navigating the crap interface that is Amazon Prime I came up with this which kept me amused for nearly an hour. The production is described as Network Indigenius - suppose that means its made by that Natives, not a bad job either :D

Image clickable link
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Continental Op wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 am Wheel of time has started (re: Kadmans post above) but I need to give it more effort. Thought I was going to like it as I love Rosamund Pike but in this I don't.

Anyway while navigating the crap interface that is Amazon Prime I came up with this which kept me amused for nearly an hour. The production is described as Network Indigenius - suppose that means its made by that Natives, not a bad job either :D

Image clickable link
I watched Wheel of Time myself last night and enjoyed it. Of course I was biased, as I was watching for all the special effects and prostethics that my son was involved in, and the great thing was seeing how all his hard work came together and paid of when you see it on the big screen. :)
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:34 pm "Bosch" Season.1. (2014) Crime drama

Needing a bit of serious action after the "Baron Noir" I tried this strangely titled series - the name had put me off - I was pleasantly surprised and watched three episodes at one go last night. There are 7 seasons up to 2021, so plenty for me to get stuck into these cold, pub-free, evenings.
I'm a big fan of Michael Connelly. I have either read or listened to all the Harry Bosch books and I have this series for streaming but I just can't take to it.
I don't know whether it's the serialisation of the story ( all the books were single stories with just the character of Bosch and a few of his colleagues continued) or the attempt to up play the bad boy image, but it just seems to plod along.
I don't like the actor who plays Bosch, which is probably a major factor, he just doesn't fit the character I have in my head and I suppose this is 90% of the problem with any film, when you've read the book or series of books.
Maybe I'll give it another try over the borefest that is Christmas as I like a good detective yarn and they are few and far between on the small screen these days.

Post by 490808 »

Finished watching Wheel of Time last night and still not impressed.

I think it might be down to not finding any of the characters particularly likeable.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:34 pm "Bosch" Season.1. (2014) Crime drama

And here I am, 68 episodes later and crying out for more. I haven't been invested in the characters of a series so much for a very long time and I was really not looking forward to watching the last episode tonight. However, the great news is that the first season of a new series "Bosch: Legacy" is already in post-production and will be available on Amazon in 2022. https://www.tampabay.com/life-culture/e ... ch-legacy/

If you like police dramas and haven't given this show a try, I cannot recommend it strongly enough. 10+/10.
'no more blah blah blah'
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Watched the "Wrath of man" last night.

In a way a typical movie with Jason Statham in it, but well shot and told with a few twists.
No cringey humour or insider jokes this time either.

Recommended for more or less mindless (though violent) entertainment with a can and some peanuts on the side.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Nothing lined up for tonight so will be giving this a whirl.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

If anyone is looking for something to stick young kids in front of at Christmas I noticed that they have the Princess Bride.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Last night I found an excellent replacement for 'Bosch'..

"Goliath" (2016-21) 4 seasons 32 episodes.

An American legal thriller but a lot more...only two episodes in and I'm hooked. :D

'no more blah blah blah'
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Been meaning to watch that one for a while. Love Billy Bob!
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Clarkson's farm is all I have watched on it and it's some craic , Clarkson isn't annoying as he usually is and the young fella in it is fairly funny. I

Post by 490808 »

Watched The Protégé last night. 6.1 on imdb - how standards are dropping, I would give it a 4.

Film is just unbelievable, cliched and I guessed the ending because it's all too obvious.

Unless you like action movies and don't have anything better to do don't waste your time on it.
Wrath of Man above is a much better movie but still not worth a imdb 7.1 rating.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:00 pm Last night I found an excellent replacement for 'Bosch'..

"Goliath" (2016-21) 4 seasons 32 episodes.

An American legal thriller but a lot more...only two episodes in and I'm hooked. :D
Well, 32 episodes later and I'm happy - a nice solid ending with everything tidied up to my satisfaction. What next?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

I think you have watched the best. Amazon is famous for not so good stuff and series that were cancelled after one season.

Try Blacklist, I'm finding it way to unbelievable but it gets good ratings, Hannibal is another on my list and Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan might meet your requirements. I would have thought most people will have seen it on the BBC but Sherlock is worth a try. Just remembered Justified, it was good but not one of my favourites.

Then there are the more trivial "dramas" like The Mentalist, Taken, Elementary, NCIS, Criminal Minds and Castle.

Other better ones are The Man in the High Castle.

I though Jericho was really good but it was cut short by the network so only one and a half seasons.

Then there are a few decent old British series like Above Suspicion and The Commander.

Post by 490808 »

A new film on Amazon Prime

The Grand Budapest Hotel imdb 8.1 definitely worth a go if you are looking for something to watch tonight.

Scotty

Post by Scotty »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:00 pm A new film on Amazon Prime

The Grand Budapest Hotel imdb 8.1 definitely worth a go if you are looking for something to watch tonight.
I know it was highly acclaimed but I didn't get what all the fuss was about.

Currently into episode 6 of Goliath. Loving it so far.

Post by 490808 »

Scotty wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:53 pm I know it was highly acclaimed but I didn't get what all the fuss was about.

Currently into episode 6 of Goliath. Loving it so far.
Just watching it again now. I can see that some people wouldn't find it that good but I think its brilliant. First film I've watched in a while thats worth its imdb score. It might help that I have worked for "old money" (English aristocracy) which makes the whole theme even more funny.

Post by 490808 »

Two others new to Prime today (or so Just Watch tells me)

Good Morning, Vietnam (1987) imdb 7.3

The Founder (2016) imdb 7.2

I'll try and post any that are new to Amazon that have an imdb score of 7 or over (that could severely limit how many I post :) )
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Never get tired of Good Morning, Vietnam!

'no more blah blah blah'
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Good Morning Vietnam is one of my favs. I would have thought it had higher than 7.3.