Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What did you watch last night?

The silver screen
Dave Hedgehog

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

Lake Mungo

Heard alot over the last few years about how good it is so picked up special edition blu ray from Second Sight recently. Wish I hadn't bothered tbh. Really really disappointed with it. I'm fond of some found footage movies but this was just dung.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:59 am Part.1. of "Caught in a Free State" (1983) RTE series - impossible to get but a copy was recently sent to me by a well-wisher.
I enjoyed the first episode with many familiar faces - Niall Tóibín, John Kavanagh and Barry McGovern, Joan O'Hara (Eunice from Fair City) and the storyline good and, apparently, based on a true story of bungled German attempts to spy in Ireland during WW.II.
Finally finished the remaining three episodes last night and I wish that there were more. Entertaining throughout with lots of drama, humour and sadness. Barry McGovern's portrayal of Dev as he wrestled with the IRA, the British and the Americans is excellent and the whole thing had a real ring of authenticity to it.

I was in my early twenties when it was broadcast and had more important things on my mind so I have no memory of having seen it before. It so badly needs a DVD release but with RTE it's not going to happen anytime soon.
'no more blah blah blah'
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Watching the last season of Friday night dinner at the moment.
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

The Horror of Dracula. 1958
Wonderful old Hammer horror film starring Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee.
Lee portrays Count Dracula very well, veering from suave to demonic at the drop of a hat.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Clickbait on Netflix - centres around a chap supposedly kidnapped and exposed as an abuser with a video posted online threatening to kill him when it reaches 5m views. Not bad entertainment so far tbh - we're 2 episodes in with 5 in total.

Post by 490808 »

Binge watched a downloaded copy of Season 1 Project Blue Book, over two nights.

Best review I can give is to say I might well start binge watching Season 2 tonight :shock:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Moving Target" 2000 on YouTube

They say that a picture paints a thousand words and this one certainly does!

From the stable of eccentric movie producer Roger Corman and shot in County Galway.

This is one strange but watchable movie including a bizarre cast of kick boxers..a very large, tea drinking, stage Oirish female Garda inspector assisted by Mick Nolan (Ray O'Connell from Fair City) and US kick boxing champion Don "The Dragon" Wilson in the starring role as an American visiting Ireland to meet his internet sweetheart and gets caught up in the affair by accident. A six pack of Beamish, nuclear detonators and a hordes of baddies, spooks and dopey cops make up the storyline. Could be included in the list of worst Irish movies ever made but at least it's different - if you haven't seen it do give it a look.
'no more blah blah blah'
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Watched 9/11 on air force one this morning, very good documentary, available on now tv.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Home Front" (2013) on Amazon

Formulaic action drama vehicle for good guy Jason Statham.
I'm not giving anything away by saying he's the only one left standing by the end.
Satisfying stuff for Dirty Harry, right wingers like myself. 10/10
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Watched to bleak efforts tonight - a strange short "Mr.Crocodile in the Cupboard" shot in the Bray Head Hotel. Norman Bates would have given his right arm for the hotel - for a complete dump it's had more than its fair share of movies shot there.

The main feature was Eugene McCabe's 1973 film "Cancer" which portrays a very grim picture of life during the Troubles in an unspecified NI border county and a man's slow death from cancer. Grim but very watchable. Both are currently available on YouTube but I can't link to them here.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Last night I finished watching the British two-part mini series "The Endless Game" (1989) on YouTube.

A Cold War spy drama with a star studded cast including Albert Finney, George Segal, Anthony Quayle and Ian Holm.

Slow moving thriller as British agent Albert Finney tries to track down the killer of his former lover in an old folks home where she has lived since the KGB finished with her. Jason Bourne it is not but well worth a watch.

'no more blah blah blah'
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Watched a few episodes of 'Manifest' on NowTV. Quite good and an interesting premise - plane takes off, disappears in a lightning storm only to reappear five years later. So far so good, passengers landing to find their lives changes as the rest of the world, spouses, friends etc have moved on.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5ERTs ... xDmxuC1cNA
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Tonight I finished watching what is undoubtedly one of the worst movies I've ever seen - "Human Bomb" (1998) - full movie available on YouTube but don't go there!

School hostage siege supposedly based on a true story in which nothing really happens. The kids cry a lot but without conviction. Patsy Kensit stars as the school teacher held hostage with the children and is pretty unconvincing too - acting is not her forte. The terrorist is a nobody but the police attack team leader is played by the captain of the original 'Das Boot' series - Jurgen Prochnow. One can only think that he must have been short of a few quid to have got involved in this rubbish. As for me, my only excuse is that I have had the hots for PK ever since her brief appearance in "Lethal Weapon .2." 0/10
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"St.George's Day" (2012) on Amazon Prime

British crime drama - not bad but with a surprisingly weak ending. 6/10

'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I watched Things Change over the weekend. Still very funny.

nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Watched the Barney Curley documentary on RTE player tonight. Great stuff. That Yellow Sam coup was seriously planned.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Shaft" (2000) on DVD

The remake of the 1971 movie that starred Richard Roundtree and the great theme by Issac Hayes.

Samuel L Jackson stars as John Shaft .II. , nephew of the original John Shaft the PI in the original movie. It was pure muck and I gave it fifteen minutes before ejecting. 0/10

Then I tried "Charlie Casanova" (2012) on DVD.

I needed to watch it for research purposes and had picked it up cheap with one of my Amazon Christmas orders but I now regret putting myself through the full 90 minutes of it. Low budget (€500k) and looks it could have been done for €500!

Undoubtedly the worst Irish movie I have ever had the misfortune to watch and that is really saying something. Dreadful camera work; poor dialogue and the sound quality was atrocious partly due to the inability of the actors to speak their lines clearly. The plot, if there was one, was impossible to make sense of and overall this is a thoroughly repulsive piece of misogynistic trash – what possessed the Irish Film Board to part finance it?
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I happened upon a documentary by Robert Powell on PBS attempting to get behind all the hype about Jesus and get to the nitty gritty.
Not being a slave to religion myself, I enjoyed the way it took an objective view on the whole subject, neither playing it up or down but using archaeology and ancient scripts to debunk some of the myth while seeking balance by taking opinions from religious scholars.
Good watch for all but the most rabid religious nuts.
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

Post by Mr Daniel F. O'Leary »

I watched There Will Be Blood (2007). Taped it when it was on TG4 a while back. Heard many great things about it, but only got the opportunity to watch it last night.

Absolutely Fantastic Film in all aspects,
with Great Acting, Soundtrack and Cinematography.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I watched Corruption on BD. From 1968 and pretty gruesome (still has an 18 cert) and great fun at the same time.

nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Watching another 1968 film today - Hellfighters - with John Wayne. Great fiery scenes.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Just watched Midway from 1976. Great war film, top cast.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Dune. Rented it on Youtube for 17.99 seen as I'm not allowed in cinemas. I really liked it, slow and all, and long and all as it is. Great architecture in it. Very real feel to the spacecraft. I liked the lingering on desert vistas. Hope they hurry up with part 2. My favourite actor in it is Rebecca Ferguson. Sure she has been told it a bazillion times but when Ingrid Bergman died in 1982 her spirit flew to Stockholm and was reincarnated in her hometown in Rebecca's body in 1983. (Welllll, maybe she has not been told EXACTLY that, but let's not dwell on minor details 🙂)
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 490808 »

If you have Prime you can watch the 1984 version of Dune as it was recently added.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:17 pm Dune. Rented it on Youtube for 17.99 seen as I'm not allowed in cinemas. I really liked it, slow and all, and long and all as it is.
Had an invitation to watch it in the cinema a few weeks ago, but opted to take my camera for a night-time walk instead. Good choice. Watched it at home with SonNo.1 on NYE (for a lot less than 17.99 :? ) and won't be waiting around for part 2. It reminded me too much of all the human/USAmerican style idiocy on show in Avatar - so much strategic stupidity, so much professional incompetence, so much backward thinking by all the relevant characters and their communities. :roll:

If that's what the future holds for our species, let the asteroid wipe us out completely so the dolphins can take over.