Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What did you watch last night?

The silver screen
Seanybiker

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Seanybiker »

Absofugginglutely love this movie. its hysterical.

There is another called "support your local gunfighter" but its not as good.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Poker Face on Sky, fcking brilliant - loving it - binged z8 episodes back to back. 2 more tomorrow!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I'm currently binging on "Halt and Catch Fire" on the Channel 4 App. It's set in the early 80's and follows a bunch of folks involved in PC, networking, and games development, early Silicon Valley venture capitalism and so on. it's absolutely brilliant with loads of human interest plotting too and very accurately reflects the time - I started my career then and they've captured the 80s tech revolution so brilliantly.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/halt-and-catch-fire

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Never Say Never Again" (1983) on DVD.

Sean Connery reprises his role as Agent 007 for the final time. All the usual escapist stuff here - easily identified baddies getting their comeuppances; a bevy of beautiful women including Kim Basinger and Barbara Carrera and lots of British stiff upper lip supplied by Edward Fox. Although I have always enjoyed Bond movies this one doesn't rate very highly with me and I was just checking before selling. Dated and very slow after a diet of Matt Damon in the Bourne movies.

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Chapelwaite on Paramount Plus. Gothic Victorian horror with a few vampires thrown in. Worth a watch with a few genuine scary moments.
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

Post by Mr Daniel F. O'Leary »

I watched Demolition Man (1993) last night. An entertaining, if very dated Action Sci-fi film.

The night before, I watched The Outlaw Josey Wales.

I'll be honest, this is the first Western I've watched all the way through. I never really watched westerns, but to be fair I never really gave them a chance. Really liked this one, and I've got another classic set to tape on the Sky box.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The Outlaw Josey Wales is a classic but what else could you expect from the legend that is Clint Eastwood.
'no more blah blah blah'
Deleted

Post by Deleted »

Mississippi Burning - great film...
Deleted

Post by Deleted »

Total Recall in 4K ... classic!!!
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

RogerMoore wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:42 am Mississippi Burning - great film...
Great film that. Must watch it again soon.

might watch "The Banker" later on. i seen a clip of it a while back, downloaded it but havent checked it out yet. It looks pretty decent

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The Fall - again!!

I’m watching three episodes a night and should have all three series’ in a week. Think it’s the 11th time ?
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Deleted

Post by Deleted »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:27 pm The Fall - again!!

I’m watching three episodes a night and should have all three series’ in a week. Think it’s the 11th time ?
Such a good series ...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

RogerMoore wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:08 pm Such a good series ...
Dornan is genuinely chilling - sad if people only know him for playing a knobhead with his (admittedly very fine!) arse out!!

marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:18 pm The Outlaw Josey Wales is a classic but what else could you expect from the legend that is Clint Eastwood.
Never saw a film that Clint was involved in that I didn't enjoy. He's by no means a classic actor, indeed you could say he plays every part the same way, but that's all he has to do. He just has the presence, like John Wayne or Robert Mitchum. the only time I thought he might have bitten off more than he could chew was "Paint Your Wagon" but he and Marvin carried it off.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:30 pm Never saw a film that Clint was involved in that I didn't enjoy. He's by no means a classic actor, indeed you could say he plays every part the same way, but that's all he has to do. He just has the presence, like John Wayne or Robert Mitchum. the only time I thought he might have bitten off more than he could chew was "Paint Your Wagon" but he and Marvin carried it off.
I haven't seen all his films but the out of the ones I have seen the one only one I didn't like was that Gran Torino one. Didn't enjoy it at all.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Seanybiker wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:54 pm I haven't seen all his films but the out of the ones I have seen the one only one I didn't like was that Gran Torino one. Didn't enjoy it at all.
Clint must have been 75 when he made that, think of it as Dirty Harry at 75.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:11 pm Clint must have been 75 when he made that, think of it as Dirty Harry at 75.
Yeah that's true, a bit too cool for ould fella 😄😄
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Seanybiker wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:54 pm I haven't seen all his films but the out of the ones I have seen the one only one I didn't like was that Gran Torino one. Didn't enjoy it at all.
Funny, I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to like Gran Torino as I hate to see my hero growing old but I thought it was really good. The only Clint movies I don't rate are the two with "Clyde" the Orangutan. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:57 pm Funny, I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to like Gran Torino as I hate to see my hero growing old but I thought it was really good. The only Clint movies I don't rate are the two with "Clyde" the Orangutan. :mrgreen:
Ah jaysus I love them two and I'd have Heartbreak Ridge up there aswell.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Once Upon a Time in the West" (1968)

Another masterpiece that hasn't dated in the least with the passage of time. A great director (Sergio Leone); a great cast including Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards, Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda; a great story line and a fantastic score by Ennio Morricone. One to see before you die. 10+/10

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:02 pm "Once Upon a Time in the West" (1968)

Another masterpiece that hasn't dated in the least with the passage of time. A great director (Sergio Leone); a great cast including Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards, Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda; a great story line and a fantastic score by Ennio Morricone. One to see before you die. 10+/10

My favourite Western of all time. A complete masterpiece.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I went to the local cinema last night and watched the Spider Man multiverse movie. I didn't go in with very high expectations, it was the OHs choice.
I have to say, visually very good. This is the 2nd of what will be at least a trilogy. I'd not watched the first one (yet...?) but was able to get caught up quick enough.
Overall an interesting story line. It was deffo entertaining, would recommend if you are even slightly into the action/superhero genre.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Watched Braveheart for the umpteenth time on terrestrial last night. Still love watching all the Irish FCA extras lifting their kilts at the Sassanach foe!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I'm rewatching the Good Wife - excellent!!!

HarveyHD

Post by HarveyHD »

Cyclepath wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:34 am I'm currently binging on "Halt and Catch Fire" on the Channel 4 App. It's set in the early 80's and follows a bunch of folks involved in PC, networking, and games development, early Silicon Valley venture capitalism and so on. it's absolutely brilliant with loads of human interest plotting too and very accurately reflects the time - I started my career then and they've captured the 80s tech revolution so brilliantly.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/halt-and-catch-fire
Wow, I'm not the only one who enjoy this TV series. Although the rating of this TV series is 8.4 on IMDB, I rarely meet people who like it.