Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What did you watch last night?

The silver screen
isha
Verified Username

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by isha »

I watched Leave The World Behind.
In many ways it was a reasonably enjoyable caper, despite it's unsubtle 'telling not showing' preaching and some nauseating camera work.

But I'm mystified how in a movie produced by Obama's production company (Higher Ground, because of course it is called that) and full of cranky, untrusting, cruel , useless, uptight, neurodivergent white people, that the one black man was the cool, suave, rich, wise, helpful, moderate, emotionally available, jazz-loving, adorable saviour of the world.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
quodec

Post by quodec »

Also watched Leave The World Behind. Well acted, nice tension build-up, but a bit preachy and talky and felt at times like a stage play. 6/10
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Land of the Blind" (2006) on DVD - a pirated copy which I will be donating to a charity shop.

As depressing a movie as one could watch about the human condition, totalitarianism, revolution etc.

Even the presence of Donald Sutherland and Ralph Fiennes wouldn't make me want to watch it again.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"T-34" (2018) on YouTube.

A sub-titled, Russian made W.W.II. tank movie which kept me watching to the end - all two hours and 19 minutes of it! 10/10.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I tried to watch "The Irish Connection" (2022) on Amazon Prime but only lasted 20 minutes. A poorly directed mess with no plot, dire dialogue and worse acting. Stolen bearer bonds, gangsters and spies sounds like it might be interesting but it isn't. Do yourselves a favour and avoid. I gave it 3 turkeys on my blog https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/i-2/ and would have given it more had I watched the full movie. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'