Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What did you watch last night?

The silver screen
DeletedUser

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by DeletedUser »

Apelles wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:24 pm Thank goodness for that, in fairness it wasn't great back then so I doubt it's stood the test of time.
Another similar 'detective duo' show I've just thought of from that era, and haven't seen since back then was Moonlighting. Doubt that's watchable nowadays either.
Google is your friend - I was pleasantly surprised to see some episodes are on YouTube!!!

I was a huge fan - I wanted to be Cybill Shepherd as a teenager and then years later in her sitcom with the AWESOME Christine Baranski I discovered she could sing - and in an episode of Moonlighting set in a nightclub it was her real voice!!!

I’m such a fangirl!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Apelles wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:24 pm Thank goodness for that, in fairness it wasn't great back then so I doubt it's stood the test of time.
Another similar 'detective duo' show I've just thought of from that era, and haven't seen since back then was Moonlighting. Doubt that's watchable nowadays either.
Bruce Willis before he became famous. Cybil Sheppard was hot though.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:49 pm Oooh I loved our Pierce in Remington Steele!!!

Although it was a bit shyte but drool!!
Yeah. My recollection of it was Brosnan was the only good thing about it
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Didn't Jim Rockford of the Rockford Files and Petrocelli both live in mobile homes . . . Am I
wrong in thinking that there was a third detective series of that vintage, where they also operated out of a trailer home?
Last edited by Apelles on Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:52 pm Bruce Willis before he became famous. Cybil Sheppard was hot though.
She was - and tbh still is!! I’m a straight woman but you have to admire !!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Apelles

Post by Apelles »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:53 pmI’m a straight woman but you have to admire !!!!
Ah go on Planespeeking . . I don't want to be accused of coercing you again, but would you not try it for the sake of the team, and report on your experience back here afterwards :lol:
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Apelles wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:03 pm Ah go on Planespeeking . . I don't want to be accused of coercing you again, but would you not try it for the sake of the team, and report on your experience back here afterwards :lol:
There’s a queue - Shakira first lol!!! #GirlCrush

Post by 678904673 »

Having a lazy Easter Monday and just finished Twins of Evil. Good old fashioned Hammer Horror romp with a hint of Vampire lesbian overtones. Whats not to like:)
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Moonlighting still holds up.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:11 pm Having a lazy Easter Monday and just finished Twins of Evil. Good old fashioned Hammer Horror romp with a hint of Vampire lesbian overtones. Whats not to like:)
Utter FILTH …. Googles it …!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:11 pm Having a lazy Easter Monday and just finished Twins of Evil. Good old fashioned Hammer Horror romp with a hint of Vampire lesbian overtones. Whats not to like:)
The Collison twins - very attractive!

Post by 678904673 »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:03 pm The Collison twins - very attractive!
Hammer had form when it came to selecting female leads purely on their physical attributes.:) Acting ability was barely a consideration
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:51 pm
I was a huge fan - I wanted to be Cybill Shepherd as a teenager and then years later in her sitcom with the AWESOME Christine Baranski I discovered she could sing - and in an episode of Moonlighting set in a nightclub it was her real voice!!!

I’m such a fangirl!
I use to love Cybill's sitcom, so much so that I only downloaded the whole thing a few weeks back. Cant wait to watch it again. I use to love Christine Baranski when I was a teenager, jaysus what woman had some legs hahaha.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Seanybiker wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:18 pm I use to love Cybill's sitcom, so much so that I only downloaded the whole thing a few weeks back. Cant wait to watch it again. I use to love Christine Baranski when I was a teenager, jaysus what woman had some legs hahaha.
If you don't end each episode rolling your eyes and enthusiastically saying "Doctor DICK!" are you even alive ?!! Enjoy!!!

Post by 678904673 »

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. Hammer Horror which combines Kung Fu, Vampires and 70's camp. The plot is totally bonkers but none the less, its still hugely enjoyable. Once you don't take it too seriously
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

We watched the latest (5th season) of Unforgotten. Wasn't sure how Sinéad Keenan was gonna fill Nicola Walker's shoes as the new DCI . . I do think she fitted in perfectly . . Its so well written.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The 39 Steps" (2008) on DVD.
From my own collection and definitely the poor relation when compared with the other three movie interpretations of John Buchan's 1915 thriller.
Rupert Penry-Jones is unconvincing as Richard Hannay and the plot plays loose and fast with the original story. As a stand alone movie it works but not for anybody looking for a good representation of the original story. I'll be revisiting the other three movies over the next couple of days.

The full movie is also available on YouTube.

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:50 am "The 39 Steps" (2008) on DVD.
From my own collection and definitely the poor relation when compared with the other three movie interpretations of John Buchan's 1915 thriller.
Rupert Penry-Jones is unconvincing as Richard Hannay and the plot plays loose and fast with the original story. As a stand alone movie it works but not for anybody looking for a good representation of the original story. I'll be revisiting the other three movies over the next couple of days.

The full movie is also available on YouTube.

The 1978 version is my favorite and probably the closest to the original book. But it still differs pretty wildly in parts. Particularly the ending which bears no resemblance to the ending in the book

Post by 678904673 »

I've being re-watching The Persuaders. Tony Curtis and Roger as 2 international playboys. Who spend their time zooming around the south of France in fast cars, solving crimes and always getting the girls. Classic 70's adventure television.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Last night I was looking for a bit of Clint Eastwood justice and watched "The Enforcer" (1976). Third in the Dirty Harry franchise and not as good as I remembered from my last viewing but still a classic. I found the full movie on YouTube as for some reason I don't have a copy in my extensive Clint Eastwood collection. 10/10
Will I watch it again...God willing I certainly will. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:00 am Last night I was looking for a bit of Clint Eastwood justice and watched "The Enforcer" (1976). Third in the Dirty Harry franchise and not as good as I remembered from my last viewing but still a classic. I found the full movie on YouTube as for some reason I don't have a copy in my extensive Clint Eastwood collection. 10/10
Will I watch it again...God willing I certainly will. :mrgreen:

I found that the quality diminished after each entry into the series after the original Dirty Harry.

Dirty Harry = Classic movie. One I could watch over and over again
Magnum Force = Very good.
The Enforcer = Solid. But its a bit disjointed overall. And at time a little too humorous.
Sudden Impact = Very Poor. The series is showing its age at this point
The Dead Pool = A total mess. Thankfully they had the good sense to call time on the series after this film
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

@ Happy Days

Good summary - The Dead Pool was beyond bad but still better than a lot of the sludge that has been in cinemas since.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Behind Enemy Lines" (2001) on DVD
Owen Wilson, Gene Hackman.
War movie. Wilson is a US pilot shot down over Bosnia and goes on the run from Serbian forces anxious to stop him revealing their massacre of civilians. Poor and the excitement rarely reaches above the yawn level. Avoid. I'm selling my copy on Adverts. 2/10.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I tried, and failed, to watch Miami Vice (2006) on DVD
Colin Farrell, Jamie Foxx

The old TV series was harmless fun but this was truly dreadful stuff with unintelligible dialogue and a plot that was impossible to follow; it went off less than halfway through. Colin Farrell, an actor that I really like, has rarely been worse. In fact this rubbish is even more awful than "Intermission" (2003) which he also starred in. Thank god he has moved on to better things. Unrateable.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Watched "The Gunfighters" (1987) on DVD.

Fairly dire and I was surprised to find out that it was such a relatively recent production. It was made for TV so probably didn't have much of a budget - and it shows! Avoid. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'