Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What did you watch last night?

The silver screen
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Del.Monte »

"Edge of Darkness" (2010)

The Mel Gibson/Ray Winstone movie on DVD - 50 cents from a charity shop. Money well spent and despite having watched it several times previously it still hit the spot. Quite different from the original BBC 1985 TV series and certainly its equal. The only thing missing from the remake is the haunting soundtrack by Eric Clapton which featured on the TV series. If you like political/conspiracy movies this is one to watch. 10/10.

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Ad Astra on film 4 with Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones as father turned mad scientist and son, pitt. Took itself bit too seriously.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Saw The Grand Tour's latest effort "A Scandi Flick" on Amazon last night. Poor enough I thought. A bit unrealistic in places also (they just "happen to park" at the top of a sky slope in the dark). It struck me as an hour stretched into 1.5 hours with very predictable stuff. The early specials on TopGear struck me as much less scripted by comparison
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Sword Of Sherwood Forest, 1960. Powerscourt estate makes a very convincing forest.

Post by 95438756 »

Tried to watch something about Hitler on channel 4. Some morsels about how Hitler posed himself for photo shots but far too broken up with ad breaks, particularly with channel 4 and gave up.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I'm a fan of shorts and I watched this one tonight - it left me a bit puzzled.

"Red Sky At Night" an alternate history movie.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

" A Casualty of War” (1989) Made for TV movie based on the book by Frederick Forsyth.

Watched on YouTube last night without referring to my database: https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/c/ and while the name rang a bell I couldn't recall having seen it previously. Turns out that I had and while it was rubbish it was not sufficiently bad to stick in my memory. On checking back I see that I had awarded the movie three of these Image and said "A poor cast and poor direction make this one to avoid". I'll remember to check the database first in future.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Last night I watched "Man on Fire" (2004) the remake with Denzel Washington - at least the third or fourth time and it still hits the spot. If you like justice meted out with extreme prejudice this is for you. 10/10.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Not movies but with the day that was in it I needed a bit of nostalgic comfort and watched the first episode of "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin" (1976) during the afternoon and this evening a random episode of "Morse" - both on YouTube. I have the box set of Reggie Perrin but despite that I still sat through the whole episode. Both hit the spot.

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I watched The Courier last night. Benedict Cumberbatch as Greville Wynne, the salesman unexpectedly catapulted into the role of carrying crucial documents from Russian source Oleg Penkovsky at the time leading up to the Cuba missile crisis. Which makes this film very pertinent to the times we live in now. The reviews are solid though not effusive. I liked it a lot. It captures the era well, is paced well, and Cumberbatch is brilliant. And after it is over you can amuse yourself by making up funny names for Benedict which I'm sure is something that has plagued him all his life.

In the past few days I also watched Blonde, the recent film about Marilyn Monroe. It took me two evenings as it's quite long and there's a lot of crying on screen which I can only take so much of. It's been badly panned in reviews. I think because the film dares to portray an aborted baby (not gruesome, more the reincarnated spirit) talking to Marilyn. How dare they. The reviews say the film exploits her again. Anyway on the whole I found it good. Marilyn Monroe was exploited so why not show that. There is a brutal undercurrent and some well known people come off very badly. There's a lot of artistic license in the plot, some is fiction. Ana de Armas is absolutely gorgeous as Marilyn. There's some lovely cinematography. I think it is good.

But I have odd tastes. Anyway.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Last night and another for the avoiding list, I'm afraid "The Internecine Project" (1974) on YouTube.

Slow and fairly dull thriller - without any thrills...2/10 and that's for the presence of James Coburn.

'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I watched Madigan on Blu Ray on Saturday night.

Great film. Top performances from Richard Widmark and Henry Fonda.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Some great faces from the past in that - I'm going to have to track it down.
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Double post - see below
Last edited by nlgbbbblth on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I buy all of Indicator's output - best label. Nice booklets too - very informative. Although when their limited editions sell out, they re-issue in standard packaging.

This is the version -

The label is currently having a sale - https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/collections/sale - quite a few bargains albeit some are not the limited editions
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Last night I finally got around to watching "Gran Torino" (2008)

50c DVD from the SVP shop. As a very big Clint Eastwood fan I had not been looking forward to it but was very pleasantly surprised. A masterful performance by Clint as a Korean war veteran living in a multi ethnic neighbourhood that he can't relate to. Faultless casting and direction. 10+/10

'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Geez DM, where do you pull these from? Some I've never heard of so I've got to go hunting.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:48 am Last night I finally got around to watching "Gran Torino" (2008)

50c DVD from the SVP shop. As a very big Clint Eastwood fan I had not been looking forward to it but was very pleasantly surprised. A masterful performance by Clint as a Korean war veteran living in a multi ethnic neighbourhood that he can't relate to. Faultless casting and direction. 10+/10

It's a very good movie must watch again
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just watched a new movie "The Kremlin Conspiracy" (2022) on YouTube.
It's only up eight days and is listed as in production on IMDB.
Made as three part mini-series in English and based on the 1998 book 'Archangel' by Robert Harris.
Daniel Craig in the lead role. I won't say anymore but if Russian thrillers are your thing....
The only problem is that the YouTube upload is dubbed in French with occasional English sub-titles but despite that it is easy to follow and well worth the effort. 10/10 .

Strangely, it seems elsewhere on YouTube to have been released in 2005 as "Archangel" but the upload is in Portuguese and a poorer quality version.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I finally have gotten back round to watching The Crown again, and I'm on Season 3. Last night I watched the episode called Aberfan. I was bawling my eyes out. The whole thing is depicted so well in the series, it was incredibly powerful and moving. I'm not talking about the Queen part of the story but rather the Aberfan part. I had been vaguely aware of the Aberfan disaster but didn't really know about it. It has left me really shaken and emotional. What a horrific event.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Google tells me that the Aberfan disaster has never otherwise been dramatised as it is still too raw in the local memory. That's understandable. It was unimaginable. But if that is the first film representation I found the depiction to be very powerful. The glimpses into the lives of the people the day before the darkness swallowed them are so poignant. And the moment of impact of the avalanche of spoil, seen from within the classroom is just overwhelming.
On the one hand I was emotionally overwhelmed by what I was looking at, and on the other hand, the editor in me was wondering how the hell did they film that. I'm going to have to look more into the story. I doubt the community there are ready yet for a proper film to be made about it. It's just too dreadful. Don't know what else to say.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:56 pm Just watched a new movie "The Kremlin Conspiracy" (2022) on YouTube.
It's only up eight days and is listed as in production on IMDB.
Made as three part mini-series in English and based on the 1998 book 'Archangel' by Robert Harris.
Daniel Craig in the lead role. I won't say anymore but if Russian thrillers are your thing....
The only problem is that the YouTube upload is dubbed in French with occasional English sub-titles but despite that it is easy to follow and well worth the effort. 10/10 .

Strangely, it seems elsewhere on YouTube to have been released in 2005 as "Archangel" but the upload is in Portuguese and a poorer quality version.
Don’t ever watch anything dubbed in another language if you don’t have to! Apparently the English version went by the name archangel too.

Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Hugh_Bigazz wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:22 am First one watched, starts off well
IMDb: : Dark Winds
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15017118/
Good show enjoyed it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Finally got Netflix and am binging Designated Survivor - absolutely brilliant!!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:06 am Finally got Netflix and am binging Designated Survivor - absolutely brilliant!!!!!
Watched it a good while ago - great stuff.
'no more blah blah blah'