Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What did you watch last night?

The silver screen
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by Del.Monte »

You know you've got old when the first time you ever heard of Nirvana was when Kurt Cobain died - that was me.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Hound of the Baskervilles" (1939) on YouTube

A real classic starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce - the two actors that I will always associate with Sherlock Holmes & Dr.Watson and it is as if the stories were written with them in mind. I've watched this particular adaption quite a number of times down the years and it always hits the spot.

'no more blah blah blah'
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

The Power of the Dog - Netflix. Up for 10 Oscars.

Outstanding acting. Outstanding cinematography. Terrible story.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Scotty wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:04 pm The Power of the Dog - Netflix. Up for 10 Oscars.

I found it amazing. So good that I convinced my husband to watch it with me the following evening - we have such different tastes in, well, everything, that normally we don't watch movies together. I hoped he would love it even a fraction as much as I did, but it was incredibly hard to concentrate on it over the sounds of him yawning. 😊
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

isha wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:15 pm I found it amazing. So good that I convinced my husband to watch it with me the following evening - we have such different tastes in, well, everything, that normally we don't watch movies together. I hoped he would love it even a fraction as much as I did, but it was incredibly hard to concentrate on it over the sounds of him yawning. 😊
Same in my house though this would be way more my type then hers. But, even I found it very slow. I don't like overly long scenes where nothing is happening, no dialog, no progression of the story. The scenery and cinematography in this certainly made up for that, shot in New Zealand btw, but still, I just thought there could have been more to the story.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Doomwatch" (1972) on YouTube

A strange British movie spin-off from the TV series of the same name. A remote island off the English coast in the grip of some sort of plague possibly caused by a nearby offshore MOD waste dump. Ian Bannen and Judy Geeson star. Only for the diehard fan of low budget British movies.

'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm ashamed to say I watched Spiderman on BBC1 last night....
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Knives Out - taped in a couple of weeks ago.

Not too bad, 8/10
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Scotty wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:04 pm The Power of the Dog - Netflix. Up for 10 Oscars.

Thanks for the heads up - didn’t know it was on Netflix, looks amazing. Heard it described as Brokeback Mountain without the love story??
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

This is turning out to be be really excellent - based on the Naples Camorra- I binged 5 episodes

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Heat" (1995) on YouTube

Al Pacino is a work obsessed LA cop who comes up against Robert De Niro a big time bank robber also totally committed to his 'job'. Also stars Val Kilmer and Jon Voight. Great action sequences and hasn't dated with the passage of time. 10/10
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:18 am "Heat" (1995) on YouTube

Al Pacino is a work obsessed LA cop who comes up against Robert De Niro a big time bank robber also totally committed to his 'job'. Also stars Val Kilmer and Jon Voight. Great action sequences and hasn't dated with the passage of time. 10/10
Not seen that yet - a mate is so obsessed he signs himself as one of the characters (Neil McCauley) on petitions!!!

Long Easter break I'm on it.

Last night I watched Manchester by the Sea - awesome!!

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Way Ahead" (1944) on YouTube

A morale boosting WW.II. propaganda movie produced during the war showing how a disparate group of Englishmen are formed into a fighting unit. Not as dull as it sounds and featuring an interesting cast including David Niven, William Hartnell (the first Doctor Who), Stanley Holloway, Peter Ustinov, Trevor Howard and John Laurie (Private Frazer - Dad's Army). It's one of those movies where it can be fun to spot familiar faces in their early screen appearances.

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Amazing true story.

Post by 765489 »

Came across a site called publicdomainmovie.net out of absolute boredom.

Currently watching Killer Shrews. Basically it's about a scientific experiment gone arseways. Instead of creating more efficient smaller sized humans, the scientists accidently create giant shrews which are now running amok trying to eat the humans that created them. I will never look at a shrew in the same way again.

https://publicdomainmovie.net/movie/killer-shrews
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Started watching the strangely named "Fleabag" on Amazon last night - very rude but clever and quite funny. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Just flicking through the channels last night and ended up watching this true story.,
The Rise of The Footsoldier. The story of gang violence of the infamous ICF, intercity firm .

I grew up in London during the reign of the "Firm" in the 60's and 70's. And their violence everywhere on the streets of London on a saturday at some football venues and on the journey to them was scary and savage. It was a truly savage violent time.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Intercity Crew as they were also known as because of their travelling to and from matches on the Intercity trains.
It was a train not ever to be on at the weekend as you would be fair game for violence on an un precedented level. The football match was never the important thing, it was the violence on the way to the match, at the match, and after the match, it was mental. When the ICF and Millwall met up it was war.
Scary place for young normal teens to be any where near it. And the violence in the movie was very realistic.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Death Rides a Horse" (1967) - full movie on YouTube.

An Italian Spaghetti Western starring Lee Van Cleef and John Philip Law.

Fairly traditional, leave your brain outside stuff, but compares very poorly with any of the Clint Eastwood's movies.
Lee Van Cleef plays Lee Van Cleef but even that doesn't save the movie and if were made today it would go straight to video. 5/10

'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:16 pm Came across a site called publicdomainmovie.net out of absolute boredom.

Currently watching Killer Shrews. Basically it's about a scientific experiment gone arseways. Instead of creating more efficient smaller sized humans, the scientists accidently create giant shrews which are now running amok trying to eat the humans that created them. I will never look at a shrew in the same way again.

https://publicdomainmovie.net/movie/killer-shrews
I tried that website. I gave up as it was full of popups, ads blocking menus, etc

Post by 95438756 »

Produced by NHK: Countries which border The Black Sea in 2013: Intro & Outro in the context of the present war in Ukraine

Post by 95438756 »

^^^ Okay so potter off to YouTube to see it, fellow gubernites!
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:36 pm Produced by NHK: Countries which border The Black Sea in 2013: Intro & Outro in the context of the present war in Ukraine

Damn they don’t like that being shared huh

Post by 765489 »

Just watched The Godfather. Unfortunately I don't have Netfix or Amazon Prime so it's a case of rummaging through my DVD collection and trying to find something I didn't watch for over 3 years :mrgreen:

I need to hit Cex for some newish material shortly I think.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I watched I Robot last night on Prime. Well, I tried to watch but fell asleep......