Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What did you watch last night?

The silver screen
HarveyHD

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by HarveyHD »

Norman Breaks wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:37 pm I went to the local cinema last night and watched the Spider Man multiverse movie. I didn't go in with very high expectations, it was the OHs choice.
I have to say, visually very good. This is the 2nd of what will be at least a trilogy. I'd not watched the first one (yet...?) but was able to get caught up quick enough.
Overall an interesting story line. It was deffo entertaining, would recommend if you are even slightly into the action/superhero genre.
Spider-Man movies won't stop being made :) Honestly, I'm sick of them. But I only went because my friends invited me. Interesting movie and storyline. But it's already hackneyed...
About superheroes I like the Batman movies. Sometimes I watch them on DVD. Yes, I have a DVD :)
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Amongst the mountains of DVDs and CDs that I have been buying recently are some rare gems - last night I started into a box set of 'Allo 'Allo! (1982-1992)....I must confess that I didn't think much of the few episodes that I saw when it first aired and now I can't understand how I didn't get into it. Priceless stuff but the humour might not get past the thought police these days. Anybody else remember the show?

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Ice Age: Continental Drift" (2012) on DVD.
Enjoyable but nowhere near as good as the earlier ones in the franchise.

'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I watched all 8 episodes of “The Girl From Plainville” about a boy who committed suicide and his girlfriend was convicted of making him do it.

Fascinated by it! I would recommend.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Over two nights I watched Adipurush which is an epic Bollywood meets star wars meets planet of the apes meets weirdness meets video game. It has 7% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It's been generally panned, described as tacky, bombastic, fake , underwhelming. I loved every minute of it.

Then last night I bawled my way through The Electric Life of Louis Wain. Proper loud sobbing, like. It was given a somewhat lukewarm review by Roger Ebert, though 70% at Rotten Tomatoes. I adored it, Louis and all his increasingly fractal cats, and it has cemented my love of Claire Foy.

Perhaps I only enjoy mediocre movies and should make a career out of loving them?
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Not last night but this afternoon I went to see The Sound of Freedom.
Now I'm going to buy a gun and become a vigilante and kill the filthy bastards who rape children.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I don't make the rules. It's just the way it is.

Post by 678904673 »

Season 2 of The Wheel of Time. A fantasy series that takes its self far too seriously

Post by 678904673 »

The Devil Rides Out. One of the better Hammer Horrors. And staring Christopher Lee in a rare heroic role.

Well worth a watch
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Watched an episode of "The Professionals" (1977-1983) on DVD tonight. It was cutting edge stuff back in the day but it seems tame and dated in an era of "Line of Duty", "Bourne" , "24" etc. I should have just left it as a memory and I won't be watching further episodes. :cry:

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:41 pm Watched an episode of "The Professionals" (1977-1983) on DVD tonight. It was cutting edge stuff back in the day but it seems tame and dated in an era of "Line of Duty", "Bourne" , "24" etc. I should have just left it as a memory and I won't be watching further episodes. :cry:

Cracking theme tune in fairness
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

Night before last I went to this in Kilkenny.
It was great.

quodec

Post by quodec »

Just watched the first four episodes of season 6 of The Crown. So, call me a sucker for a good soap but I enjoyed the acting, the story lines (some of them false) and the quality of sets and locations. Recommended
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

quodec wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:31 am Just watched the first four episodes of season 6 of The Crown. So, call me a sucker for a good soap but I enjoyed the acting, the story lines (some of them false) and the quality of sets and locations. Recommended
Not one for the true believers like me. I haven't even watched Helen Mirren in the "The Queen" which apparently was approved of by the late monarch. Documentaries possibly but feature films and soaps about the Royal Family get the thumbs down. I'm a dinosaur but I come from a long line of them and there you go. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Something of a Sports evening. Firstly I watched Corofin v Ballina in the Semi Final of the Connacht Club Football Championship. (The least said about sh*t feast the better). Then it was Munster & The Stormers in watch was a really enjoyable old fashioned game of Rugby. Finally I subjected myself to Ireland v The Netherlands in the football. Managed to make it to half time. Then just had to throw in the towel and read a book for the rest of the evening
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

The Enemy Below. WWII U-Boat film. An excellent film.

BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

I watched Plague of the Zombies (1966) on Legend, one of the best Hammer productions and still enjoyable if you accept the fact that it is a near 60 year old British film
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Breakthrough" (1979) on Amazon Prime

World War.II. movie with a strong cast including Richard Burton, Rod Steiger and Robert Mitchum.

Despite this the movie never gets out of 1st gear. I watched it some years back but couldn't remember any of it - not a good sign. All the big names look genuinely jaded and when compared to "Where Eagles Dare" (1968) which also featured Richard Burton in a lead role. Anyway, the warning is this is a war movie to avoid especially if you're a fan of the aforementioned actors.

The full movie is available on YouTube - probably where I saw it previously.

'no more blah blah blah'
quodec

Post by quodec »

I watched The King last night. Very enjoyable but you'll need Netflix to see it...

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Key Largo" (1948) Directed by John Huston.

I hadn't seen this classic crime drama in years but I fell over a copy in one of my recent charity trawls. It has a great cast including Edward G Robinson, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. Gangsters and a Hurricane in the Florida Keys intersect in a tension filled thriller. Hasn't dated a bit and well worth my 66 cents investment. 10/10

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Couple of nights ago I rewatched Oliver Stones JFK made in 1991. I don't care if it is a web of conspiracy theories, it's a damn fine film. Kevins Costner and Bacon give great performances. I love the way Stone put it together, flipping in and out of different modes.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Last night I watched 29 minutes worth of "The Conspiracy of Dark Falls" on Amazon Prime (my annual free trial - always availed of in December :mrgreen: ) but I digress, and I am here to warn you that this is yet another movie to avoid. Poorly constructed tripe with cringeworthy dialogue and hammy acting that looks like a TY project and that's being charitable. Far too poor to rate.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

But there's some hope for me as just now I discovered that "Bosch: Legacy" Season.2. which aired in October 2023 is available - ten episodes to cram in on my free trial! Night all. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I watched The Highwaymen last night for I think the 4th time. Costner and Harrelson are both great and it’s become one of those films I can enjoy over and over again.

Another that fits that bill is Hopkins in The World’s Fastest Indian. I have to get my hands on a copy of that or find it online to stream. I only have it on DVD and haven’t had a TV or DVD player for years.