Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What did you watch last night?

The silver screen

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by 95438756 »

This

It's a fundraiser, but I've no money. I don't have an American passport: It's primarily their own mess to clean up.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:34 pm Jonni and Tina can tuck into it after watching "Mrs Browns Christmas Special can't they?! :mrgreen:
To be honest, pass the paint. I'd rather watch it dry....

Post by 95438756 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:11 pm To be honest, pass the paint. I'd rather watch it dry....
Nah. I wanna lick some. :|
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Taken 2" (2012)

Another charity shop purchase for .50c and bought to sell on but I felt obliged to make sure it was in good condition. :mrgreen:

Bryan Mills (Liam Neeson) takes his family to Istanbul, only to be kidnapped, along with his ex-wife, by the father of one of the men he killed while saving his daughter two years prior.

Standard Liam Neeson fare with enough violence to keep most people happy but it wouldn't do much for race relations with Albanians.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Attack Force Z" (1982) on YouTube

World War .II. movie starring the youthful Mel Gibson and Sam Neill before they became global stars.
A low budget but nonetheless entertaining and unintentional (?) anti-war movie filmed in Taiwan.
Plenty of action as a small group of allied commandos land on a Japanese occupied island to recover an important defector. 8/10

'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Last night I watched
Tales Of Unease - Bad Bad Jo Jo
https://networkonair.com/all-products/3 ... ete-series

Petrocelli - Any Number Can Die
Deviates from the usual formula - very little legal / courtroom action.

followed by

The Killer Reserved Nine Seats
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Go tell the Spartans" (1978) on YouTube

Vietnam War movie starring Burt Lancaster - what could go wrong - nothing!
Set in the early days of the war when the Americans were only there as advisers and relied on the poorly motivated South Vietnamese ground forces. 10/10

'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Thank goodness for Kodi and all the other streaming services that help me avoid live TV. I hate reality shows with a passion, I hate "Celebrity TV" with an equal passion, I hate modern Game shows, with inane "Celebrity" hosts whom I have never heard of, so I'm left with constant reruns of Midsomer Murders, Frost and Poirot. The last decent film I saw on TV was Buchanan Rides Again; which is nearly as old as meself.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I’m rewatching Without a Trace from the start - excellent series about an FBI team investigating missing person cases. Loving it !!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
KHD

Post by KHD »

I've been binge watching Ghosts ( The UK Version ) on my new dodgy android app for some light entertainment and passing the time.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

KHD wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:09 pm I've been binge watching Ghosts ( The UK Version ) on my new dodgy android app for some light entertainment and passing the time.
Dinosaur here - you're watching on your phone?
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:20 am Dinosaur here - you're watching on your phone?
Casting to a Google chrome cast dongle, its hit and miss sometimes bit Marhay has given me instructions on how to set it up properly but haven't got around to it yet. Was a live saver over the Christmas.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Anyone see "From" ?
It's on HBO Max (sorry don't think HBO max is available in Ireland but maybe Sky show it )

It's quite good, but seems to be a total rip off of Lost ....
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Watching Bracken on YouTube
Poor VHS quality in wrong aspect ratio - (looks like it was recorded on a Sky Box with the incorrect picture setting)
It was broadcast in 4:3 but these black bars at the side are bigger than normal so a squashed effect.
Nevertheless ALL episodes are there and it's good to revisit, particularly series 1 when Dinny is up to cute hoor antics and Miley runs off to England.

Obviously should have been released on DVD in the mid-2000s but it's RTE so you know the rest.....
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"We Dive at Dawn" (1943)

A feel good British propaganda war movie but very watchable nonetheless with John Mills in the lead role.
I spent 50 cents on the DVD in a charity shop yesterday but I find that the full movie is available on YouTube - I feel cheated. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" (1950)

Another from my recent haul of charity shop DVD classics - 50 cents but hang the expense!

Jimmy Cagney gets his comeuppance in yet another gangster movie. Despite being almost 75 years old this is another movie that's as a good to watch as when it was first released - if you like the genre. 10/10

'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:20 am "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" (1950)

Another from my recent haul of charity shop DVD classics - 50 cents but hang the expense!

Jimmy Cagney gets his comeuppance in yet another gangster movie. Despite being almost 75 years old this is another movie that's as a good to watch as when it was first released - if you like the genre. 10/10

Another top Jimmy Cagney film, White Heat, is also available on You Tube. "Made it Ma, Top of the World." One of the most versatile actors of all time,from manic gangster to tap dancer, without missing a beat.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"True Grit" (1969)

Another 50 cent DVD purchase and worth every cent and a few more.

This is John Wayne at his best as whiskey drinking US Marshal, Rooster Cogburn hired by feisty Mattie Ross (Kim Darby) to track down the killer of her father. Though taking place in Indian territory there is a distinct lack of indians - in fact there are none. That aside, it's a feel good movie and Rooster doesn't believe in taking prisoners. Also features singer Glen Campbell and Robert Duvall. 10/10

'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm ashamed to say I watched 20 min of the new series of "Room to Improve".

Yes I'm hanging my head in shame....
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Watched this on Netflix last night - very atmospheric and based on a true story about a 'Mr Big' type sting by the Aussie police on a cold-case child killing.

marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

"The Year from Space" on Channel4. Alternately fascinating and a little frightening. Worth a watch if you have All4.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I'm so old now that it's getting hard to find a movie made before I was born but I managed it tonight.

"Stagecoach" (1939) on DVD.

Another classic Western, directed by John Ford and starring a youthful John Wayne.
Few white folk were killed in during this movie but quite a lot of red injuns.

The full movie is available on YouTube - I'll be asking the charity for my fifty cents back. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:50 am I'm so old now that it's getting hard to find a movie made before I was born but I managed it tonight.

"Stagecoach" (1939) on DVD.

Another classic Western, directed by John Ford and starring a youthful John Wayne.
Few white folk were killed in during this movie but quite a lot of red injuns.

The full movie is available on YouTube - I'll be asking the charity for my fifty cents back. :mrgreen:

The start of John Wayne's long and successful association with John Ford.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Last night back to my recently acquired pile of 50 cent DVDs and some light relief.

"Man about Dog" (2004)
starring Pat Shortt.

Much maligned Pat Shortt is like marmite - I'm a fan.

No trailer but here's a taster. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:32 pm Last night back to my recently acquired pile of 50 cent DVDs and some light relief.

"Man about Dog" (2004)
starring Pat Shortt.

Much maligned Pat Shortt is like marmite - I'm a fan.

No trailer but here's a taster. :mrgreen:

Not his biggest fan but he was excellent in the movie Garage. We'll worth a watch