Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What did you watch last night?

The silver screen

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by 765489 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:30 am I watched I Robot last night on Prime. Well, I tried to watch but fell asleep......
That's one film I could never get into.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just started watching "Going Straight" (1978) - the short-lived sequel to "Porridge" - just six episodes - great stuff but one episode a night will do and as it happens it fits perfectly as a starter before "The Singapore Grip" (2020) also six episodes. Both on DVD and the latter I treated myself to for Christmas. I love all J G Farrell's stuff - "Troubles", "The Siege of Krishnapur"...and this ITV adaption of "The Singapore Grip" does not disappoint. It was the third book in his Empire Trilogy and is superb. Sadly the author didn't live to see either "Troubles" or "The Singapore Grip" made into movies as he died in a drowning accident in West Cork in 1979 at the tragically young age of 44.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Back, back to the distant past last night, to a wartime epic with more major stars than you could shake a stick at - and despite that it still worked!

"The Longest Day" (1962) was the go to D-Day movie until the arrival of "Saving Private Ryan" and despite/because of being shot in black and white holds its own against the usurper. Far less blood - and guts - than "Saving Private Ryan" the film accurately reflects the close run thing that D-Day was and if it hadn't been for Hitler's interference how the outcome might have been quite different. 50 cents for the DVD from my nearby charity shop. 10/10

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Botany a blooming history on bbc4 7pm Wednesday

Post by 893456 »

Started watching 1883 on Paramount +,has a good cast in it.I love westerns and good ones are hard to find these days. I'm enjoying it so far.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Had trial of Amazon Prime membership and binged the Bosch episodes, 7 seasons! Based on Michael Connolly's books set in LA
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Cobham wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:50 pm Had trial of Amazon Prime membership and binged the Bosch episodes, 7 seasons! Based on Michael Connolly's books set in LA
IMDb: : Bosch: Legacy
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14168162/
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Thanks, yes just finished Legacy and disappointed in it for various reasons. My Amazon Prime account is out now so back to Netflix and hope some new stuff on gogglebox in coming months. Just dont seem to bother turning it on these days.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm giving serious thought to canceling Prime. I think it's been almost a month since I turned it on.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Am starting to watch The Boys this week
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
quodec

Post by quodec »

The first four episodes of Netflix’s Stranger Things. I know, I’m 6 years behind the curve, but just hadn’t the inclination to chase it up till now. Anyway, so far so very good and looking forward to the rest of it.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Not a movie but they should make one about him - the greatest player to ever pull on the No.10 rugby shirt! I watched this on YouTube this evening - I was prompted to as I bought a copy on DVD from a charity shop earlier today and thought I see if it was worth watching. One thing lead to to another and I watched the whole thing on YouTube. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 893456 »

They call me Trinity

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

The Ipcress File TV series - binged in one go.

The young lad in the Michael Caine role was excellent - the spit of Damon Albarn off Blur!

Tom Hollander as always EXCELLENT!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Post by 765489 »

Currently re watching Millennium Season 1 again. Time has sufficiently passed that I don't really remember the episodes anymore. The only problem with it is the dialogue between Frank Black and his wife. It is boring me to death. Totally unnecessary and messes up the main plot in each episode.

Post by 893456 »

Stated watching the series Yellowstone,have to say I'm addicted to it.And I wasn't much of a Costner fan but I'm enjoying it,The one who plays his daughter in it is a bit of a rodeo in itself heh.Where are the women like that in the world heh.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Verified Username

Post by 8760976543 »

Currently watching the Larry Sanders show. Don't know why I thought to start watching it but glad I did. Great show..
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:38 am Am starting to watch The Boys this week
What did you think? I enjoyed it. One of those shows that subverts your expectations, genuinely.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I watched "Iron Mask" on Prime. It had Jackie Chan and Arnold Schwarzenegger and was from 2020 so I thought it couldn't be too bad. Oh God it was crap!
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I'm 3 episodes into 'Slow Horses' on Apple TV+.
It's really good and Gary Oldman is excellent as a really repulsive main character.
Kinda espionage based and would recommend so far.

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Cyclepath wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:54 am I'm 3 episodes into 'Slow Horses' on Apple TV+.
It's really good and Gary Oldman is excellent as a really repulsive main character.
Kinda espionage based and would recommend so far.

Oh I will have a bit of that - love GO and a spy buff I am!!!

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:33 pm What did you think? I enjoyed it. One of those shows that subverts your expectations, genuinely.
Work got in the way - weekend binging tho!!! Will report back!!

Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:56 am Work got in the way - weekend binging tho!!! Will report back!!
Definitely worth it! I really don't go for the usual superhero crap - it leaves me cold. But the boys is absolutely brilliant. Great cast and as knownunknown said - it really subverts expectations, and also the genre.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

First one watched, starts off well
IMDb: : Dark Winds
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15017118/