Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What did you watch last night?

The silver screen
Verified Username

Re: What did you watch last night?

Post by 8760976543 »

Last film I watched was 'Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse'. Great behind the scenes documentary on the making of Apocalypse Now.

For some reason Siskel & Ebert movie reviews came up on my YouTube feed and I've been blasting through them. This was one of the films they recommended back in the day.

Last film before that was A Quite Place Two which was meh and then Nobody before that again. That was good mindless action.
Dave Hedgehog

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

Over the last 2 weeks.

Terminator

Arnie classic Sci fi slasher, still a brilliant piece of work.

Terminator 2 : Judgement Day

Not only a sequel that tops its predecessor in near every department, its also one of the greatest Sci fi actioners ever made. The damn thing is 30 years old ( :o ) this year and still looks absolutely stunning. A couple of the effects look a little dated but more or less all of it holds up against anything released nowadays.

Return of the Living Dead Pt 2

Pure ham and cheese but enjoyable nonsense.

BRAINNNNNNNNNS!!!!

Yakuza Law

60s Japanese Anthology focusing on yakuza laws and customs across a couple of hundred years. Considering its age this is a very violent movie, the Japanese were really ahead of the curve when it came to onscreen brutality but considering their carry on in WW2 its not surprising.
Dave Hedgehog

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

Raiders of the Lost Ark

An all time classic, this is still as enjoyable to me as a 42 year old as it was when I saw it as a child. Not a second is wasted on screen, Ford is immensely likable and the chemistry between himself and Karen Allen is brilliant. The lead torturous Nazi villain is also fantastically realised.

It's many years since I watched this and what struck me last night was how violent it is. 2 guys get shot in the head onscreen, multiple scenes of people impaled on various sharp implements and the final face melting scene. This was very much marketed as a family movie when it came out but it certainly isn't one for kids under 10 imo.

Post by 490808 »

Jolt on Amazon Prime starring Kate Beckinsale. If it wasn't for Kate Beckinsale I wouldn't have watched it.

I sort of liked it because of Kate Beckinsale, I think a theme might be developing here, because I like Kate Beckinsale playing kick ass roles.

I'd give it exactly what imdb gives it 5.5 not a great film but for action and a blonde Kate Beckinsale what more could you want.
esdras

Post by esdras »

Inferno (please don't judge!).

Its actually a fun, if silly action movie. Although the question of 'if I want to destroy the world, and I have a backup plan to make sure my girlfriend who also thinks this way can follow through if I get killed/snagged, then why not just tell her where the bomb is instead of making of some madly elaborate treasure hunt' is never really answered.
Dave Hedgehog

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

The Royal Tenembaums.

Had never seen it before but really liked it, Gene Hackman is just great in it.

Post by 490808 »

mailman wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:01 pm Just watched "Jungle Cruise". You'll get more pleasure out of The Mummy(1999)
Didn't think it was bad but the Mummy was better.

I think what I disliked about Jungle Cruise was the CGI was so perfect that it made every scene look like it was filmed on a green screen which it probably was.

I assumed it was a movie for kids and judged it accordingly .
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Fascinating Fungi on Netflix.

My criticisms first. Brie Larson's voice is too high and irritating - a female narrator with lower pitch would have been better. Plus it strays to that oneness New Age stuff from time to time, unnecesary as it would have stood as an idea with "show don't tell". It is not so much though that it cannot be ignored.

But apart from that it is a dream - if you want to take acid without taking acid this is the film for you. Mesmerising and relaxing. Even emotional and inspiring. Makes me want to get some Lions Mane mushroom for sure.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 765489 »

There's a film called Argo on RTE 1 now. Saw it before it's about the CIA extracting some American Embassy officials out of the Canadian embassy in Tehran under the guise of making a Sci-Fi film.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Finished Designated Survivor. It got very woke when Netflix took over. Not bad overall but became a bit samey.

Post by 490808 »

Boss level on Amazon Prime. Good action movie and far better than I expected. Prime isn't famous for that many good movies.
notfromhere
Verified Username

Post by notfromhere »

Frank Grillo is a very good actor, he is excellent in Kingdom, I think its still on Netflix.

Post by 490808 »

That quote "I am Guan Yin, and Guan Yin has done this" has probably got some mileage in it.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Saint" Season.1.Ep.1 on YouTube from 1962 starring Roger Moore.
The whole series is available on DVD and despite being a fan when it was on TV all those years ago I don't feel tempted.

Followed by Joe Kidd (1972) a Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western also featuring Robert Duvall. A satisfying level of mayhem as Clint cleans up all around him as only he can.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The Vast of Night" (2019) SciFi - allegedly. Amazon Prime. Image

One night in New Mexico, in the late 1950s, a switchboard operator and radio DJ discover a strange audio frequency which could change the future forever....

90 minutes of my life that I want back. I should have known that after twenty minutes in and nothing had happened, and I mean nothing, that this was going to be a train wreck. Looks like it was made with the refreshments budget from a 1960s episodes of Dr.Who. If you're tempted, do yourselves a favour and watch the trailer instead as it contains all the 'best' bits and I use the word advisedly.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Saltwater" (2000) Irish Drama

An Irish/Italian family running a chipper in a run-down Irish seaside resort sounds like an unlikely subject for a movie but Conor McPherson's directorial debut manages the subject well. A funny, sad, coming of age movie all rolled into one. Synopsis lifted from my blog https://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/

Life in an out-of-season seaside resort is tough enough but for the Irish-Italian Beneventi family, grieving the loss of their mother and struggling to make a living from their fish ‘n’ chip shop, the future looks more of a challenge. The father, George (Brian Cox), is in debt to the local bookie-cum-loan shark, Simple Simon (Brendan Gleeson); the youngest son, Joe (Laurence Kinlan), abruptly loses his innocence when he falls in with a bad influence at school and daughter Carmel (Valerie Spelman) is dating a philandering university lecturer. But when Frank (Peter McDonald), the eldest son, robs the local betting shop, things begin to look a little brighter.

The movie was supposed to have had a 2001 DVD release but there's no sign of it anywhere. I had been looking for it everywhere for years and it was only thanks to the kindness of Steven J who recently sent me a copy gratis. Steven also sent me a copy of the long forgotten TV series "Caught in a Free State" (1983) and I will be reporting on it shortly.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"The ballad of Lefty Brown" (2017) on Amazon Prime

Good, old fashioned Western with plenty of shooting, lynchings and retribution. 10/10.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

"Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" (2014) on Amazon Prime
CIA thriller with a decent storyline, adequate level of violence and a satisfying ending. 7/10

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

Watched "Vice" last night on RTE. About the rise of Dick Cheney. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Synopsis: Cheney overcomes several challenges in life and becomes a powerful bureaucrat in Washington. His position of vice president to George W Bush allows him to reshape the world.

Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

Watched Triple Frontier tonight. Solid action movie. Not amazing, but definitely not poor either. Well worth a watch on Netflix if you fancy an easy two hour watch.
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:09 am Watched "Vice" last night on RTE. About the rise of Dick Cheney. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Synopsis: Cheney overcomes several challenges in life and becomes a powerful bureaucrat in Washington. His position of vice president to George W Bush allows him to reshape the world.

Bale certainly looks the part. It reminds me of a joke a comedian did about good looking actors who make themselves look unattractive through make up or gaining/losing weight and then and get praise and awards heaped on them. He said what about all the ugly actors out there? These pretty boys are coming along and stealing the food from their tables :D
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Part.1. of "Caught in a Free State" (1983) RTE series - impossible to get but a copy was recently sent to me by a well-wisher.
I enjoyed the first episode with many familiar faces - Niall Tóibín, John Kavanagh and Barry McGovern, Joan O'Hara (Eunice from Fair City) and the storyline good and, apparently, based on a true story of bungled German attempts to spy in Ireland during WW.II.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:59 am Part.1. of "Caught in a Free State" (1983) RTE series - impossible to get but a copy was recently sent to me by a well-wisher.
I enjoyed the first episode with many familiar faces - Niall Tóibín, John Kavanagh and Barry McGovern, Joan O'Hara (Eunice from Fair City) and the storyline good and, apparently, based on a true story of bungled German attempts to spy in Ireland during WW.II.
Live fairly close too, to the "swastika" shaped house in Templeogue.
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

Watched Cruella, the 101 Dalmatians prequel, on Disney+ last night. Good light family entertainment with great sets, costumes and special effects. Probably best viewed on the big screen.

dawg

Post by dawg »

Alfie ( 1966 )

Taking every chance to post a Dionne song :D