Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Dune

The silver screen
Abella

Dune

Post by Abella »

Not bad, does a good job of laying the foundation for the sequels if we ever get them, for me a solid 6/10.

Re: Dune

Post by 490808 »

You about right there, last time I checked it was 8.3 on imdb and its nothing like that good.
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

It was the best filmed prologue ever, but that was about it. The acting was all bang on, as was the casting IMHO, but it had very odd pacing and it felt empty, like there were no "real people" no population beyond the main characters and faceless soldiers. When
SPOILER:
the city got blown to feck I felt nada. It may as well have been empty ruins.
Maybe the director was going for the isolation of elites or somesuch, but badly IMHO.

Given its long running time there was a lot of excess flesh that should have been cut off. Now it seems he was angling to have it at least a two parter(or more) but coming out of the gate with a long beginning, bugger all fleshing out of background stuff and an "end" that comes before the start of the middle act. I have no idea what the hell the producers were thinking. If it had been the first Star Wars* it would be like a two hour flic ending where Luke and Ben meet Han Solo and the hairy fella and we were yet to see the princess or Darth Vader.

I had always thought you couldn't get it onto the screen so easily. It's a very bookish book from what I recall(I haven't read it since I was a kid and struggled to keep my interest up TBH). These days with the advancement in CGI and that I reckon a big budget TV serial was the way to go myself. The one that came out in 2000 IIRC while showing its lack of funds was overall pretty good. The 80's flic on the other hand...

It's not exactly a great franchise idea though, so maybe that's why they're dragging it out? The first book is grand, the second would confuse much of the modern non geeky audience as the "hero" turns out to be a despot who kills billions in a holy war, who then fecks off for much of the narrative and then dies, his great love pops her clogs so there goes the big name woman star, his kids are more than a bit odd and his son ends up a half worm half human thing that goes completely nuts a thousand years later.

*which ripped off Dune to beat the band, and Dune in turn was basically Lawrence of Arabia mashed up with the Roman Empire in space. European White guy shows up and becomes a saviour to a bunch of primitives and goes native. Actually on that score I'm surprised the sensitive don't seem to have taken the book and subsequent flics to task.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I am looking forward to seeing it someday. Sci fi is probably my favourite movie genre. The moment when the Baron pulls out the slave boys heart plug in the 1984 film ranks among the moments in film which most affected me - I was completely abhorred at the time.
I vaguely remember the details of the book. I liked the idea of it. And for a while as a teen had Herberts motto re fear up in my wall. That was how we were EMO long ago.

Since I don't have a covid cert I looked up ways to stream it and it seems a one month sub to HBO MAX using a VPN is an option. But I was too lazy to go through the hoops this weekend. I will do it when my curiosity builds and drives me!
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...