Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us. We're aware of an issue that our activation emails are not getting through to a handful of gmail users. If you registered but did not receive an activation email, let us know. If you're not so new here, you can dismiss this message.

All Things Baking

Ncdjd2

Re: All Things Baking

Post by Ncdjd2 »

Arthur Turner is a lovely cooking apple. Good big apples and lovely flowers on them. If you leave them on the tree long enough you can eat them.. but not too many as you'd end up with a pain in your stomach. :mrgreen:

I'm looking to order some apple trees from France as well as Ireland. :)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:11 pm I'm looking to order some apple trees from France as well as Ireland. :)
What varieties?
Ncdjd2

Post by Ncdjd2 »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:14 pm What varieties?
So far, Discovery ( early fruiting self fertile variety, which I have already )
Arthur Turner - cooker
There are three varieties I'm looking at sourcing at a French nursery if Future forests can't source them for me - Wellant ( A very large eating apple ), UEB 32642 Opal and maybe Sisired ( All have been trialled successfully in Ireland )
There is also a rosette variety that was found in a garden in the UK and is an accidental variant of Discovery called Rosette.
I'm also thinking about either Blood of the Boyne or Red Devil... I have both of these trees but can not determine which one is almost red all the way through 😞

All will be on MM106 root stocks.

I'll create a thread about all of this in the F&F forum when I get my sh1t together CR. Might be of interest to some people as how to not grow an orchard :D
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Did not know where to put this but as the Title says ALL things baking, here is some great news for bakers everywhere!
https://www.studyfinds.org/dairy-fat-pr ... rt-attack/
The results come from a review of more than 4,000 Swedish adults — who are among the world’s biggest consumers of dairy products.

The team confirmed their findings by pooling data from 17 other studies involving almost 43,000 participants in the United States, United Kingdom, and Denmark. Dr. Marklund says with dairy consumption on the rise globally, nutritional scientists need a better understanding of the impact dairy fat has on health. Higher intakes of dairy fat did not have a link to an increased risk of death among the participants.

Researchers assessed dairy fat consumption in the group of Swedish 60-year-olds by measuring blood levels of a particular fatty acid. This substance generally appears in dairy foods and is therefore useful in reflecting intake of dairy fat. Study authors tracked the group for an average of 16 years to see how many had heart attacks, strokes, and other serious circulatory events. They also looked at how many died from any cause during this time.

The CVD risk was lowest for those with high levels of the fatty acid, coming from a high intake of dairy fats. The results remained the same after accounting for factors including age, income, lifestyle, dietary habits, and other illnesses. Moreover, those with the highest levels had no increased risk of death from all causes.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

images.jpeg-6.jpg
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

In today's Irish Examiner Weekend it's got pages with Darina and "back to basics".
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

This morning's effort - a Coffee Cake from my Grandmother's recipe - none of your old mocha cake filling with this one and just a shake of icing sugar to finish. Another diabetic delight I'm afraid.

'no more blah blah blah'
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Looks so moist 😍
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It turned out nicely but the recipe calls for wholemeal flour and the last large (2kg) bag that I got was a Dunne's Stores own brand - the only type available - and is very poor quality. The second time of using it and the rest will be going back to nature.
'no more blah blah blah'
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Would you mind sharing the recipe? (if it's not a closely guarded family secret :lol: )
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Made a light rye loaf today, been ages since I made one. Threw in the sourdough discard as an experiment (instead of tossing it out). The sourdough flavour is coming through...nomm
20211003_171113.jpg
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

I see Boris would love to participate in Great British Bake off. Who would we pit him against? 🤔 Prince Charles...Graham Norton....suggestions on a postcard please
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Osciiboscii wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:34 pm I see Boris would love to participate in Great British Bake off. Who would we pit him against? 🤔 Prince Charles...Graham Norton....suggestions on a postcard please
Prince Harry and Meghan.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:06 pm Prince Harry and Meghan.
It'd probably be vegan....
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

This afternoon's effort while doing the washing up, listening to the rugby and working on the laptop in the sitting room - in other words an easy one to make. Chocolate & Marmalade cake, loosely based on a Nigella recipe and while not much to look at is very moreish. As a bonus, it can be made in a saucepan and this reduces the washing up! The end result depends on the quality of the marmalade used but even a bog standard type like the one shown is usually adequate.

'no more blah blah blah'