Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

All Things Baking

isha
Verified Username

Re: All Things Baking

Post by isha »

I fairly regularly make these flapjacks. Today I threw in raisins as well, but you can leave it at hazelnuts and chocolate. They are a handy snack. Sure lookit they're mostly porridge.

Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Made my Granny's Tea Brack recipe this morning - almost entirely organic ingredients. It's incredibly easy to make and the most important things is to steep the raisins/sultanas overnight in 3/4 pint cold tea. This allows the fruit to absorb moisture and this is released in the days after cooking giving the cake its moreish character. Should be left for a day before eating - a hard one for me - down to Euro Giant for biccies... :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Looks and sounds like what we call "Granny's fruit bread" although the rule here is to wait a week before eating, not a day!

Made with no butter?

When I'm "in the groove" I try to make two at a time every fortnight, so the waiting period isn't too traumatic. :mrgreen:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:56 pm Looks and sounds like what we call "Granny's fruit bread" although the rule here is to wait a week before eating, not a day!

Made with no butter?

When I'm "in the groove" I try to make two at a time every fortnight, so the waiting period isn't too traumatic. :mrgreen:
Made with no butter but I lamp it on every slice! As for waiting a week.... :o
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Here's the recipe - from another long fingered project combining my love of hand painted postcards with cooking. :D

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ah yes, that's almost exactly the same ... except mine uses plain flour, one egg and no marmalade; oh, and it's in all metric. :mrgreen:

The waiting a week is for the very reason you mentioned above - to give plenty of time for the tea to ooze back out of the fruit.

But yeah, no matter how moist it is, a layer of additional dairy-based lubricant definitely helps it on its way. :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Inspired by Del, one precious tea bag was dedicated to the prepartion of these two loaves:

Ingredients: 500g of sultanas soaked overnight in 300ml of strong tea; then mixed with 450g flour, 200g soft brown sugar and 1 egg. Baked for an hour at 180°C

Then wrapped in greaseproof paper and allowed to rest/mature for one week, hidden away out of sight. :twisted:

But because I'm just as likely to remember where I've hidden it before the week is up, I made some instant gratification while the kitchen was in bakery mode. Also need a good excuse to start emptying jars of last year's strawberry jam to make way for this year's production. :mrgreen:

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I started eating my one the next day and have only two slices left - I'm a glutton but it got moister as the days passed.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Burger baps for dinner, which have risen a tad over exuberantly. (Veggie burgers you may be disappointed to hear.)

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Got a mad urge for something sweet and I made these biscuits. The recipe is from my ancient Cranks Cookbook which explains the wholemeal flour.

200g butter
4 teaspoons good cocoa
200 g wholemeal flour
130g brown sugar
1 and half level teaspoons of baking powder
100g dessicated coconut

Melt butter slowly. Stir in cocoa well. Mix the dry ingredients together and then add to cocoa butter and mix well. Then smooth into greaseproof paper in your tin/dish and flatten.
190 degrees for 25 minutes. Cut into squares before it cools then let fully cool.
Just the job.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I'm going to have to give that recipe a try - looks scrumptious!
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

When life gives you these bad boys

It's time for Banana Date and Walnut Loaf

I used this recipe. Reduced sugar by one third, although you could reduce more as it's sweet enough.

https://www.easypeasy-lemonsqueezy.co.u ... s-walnuts/
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

When there are too many pears and the weather is grim.