Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Good smooth black pudding

Frank

Good smooth black pudding

Post by Frank »

Does anyone know where you can get a good smooth black pudding these days without all the seeds in it? Rudds used to be mighty stuff a few years ago but it’s completely changed now - was identical to a Waldrons one I got recently. They seemed to be the best two of a bad lot. Obviously the ring in the butchers is usually the answer but the few around me all have ones with meal in them. The last nice one I got was annascaul but I’d rather one I could pick up in a supermarket.

Re: Good smooth black pudding

Post by 765489 »

Only smooth black pudding I know of is Dennys or one of the cheaper supermarket own brand ones.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I've recently started buying Morcilla (spanish blood sausage). Some good butchers have it around Dublin. There's also a french version (Boudin Noir) that hasn't been ruined with bloody oatmeal.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:29 pm Only smooth black pudding I know of is Dennys or one of the cheaper supermarket own brand ones.
Denny’s wouldn’t really be smooth though. There’s one you find on some deli counters that’s jet black, can hardly be lifted it’s such a smooth mix, and a lovely red hue in the middle. No bits whatsoever.

Post by 765489 »

Maybe its some other brand then will check next time I'm in the supermarket.

Post by 967543 »

Nothing beats clonakilty ... not smooth, but still, top top stuff...
Frank

Post by Frank »

I've tried every different one in all the supermarkets now and have resigned myself to the fact that it just doesn't exist any more.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Try the vegetarian versions. Clonality and Kelly's do veggie white pudding and Rudd's do a black pudding. I love them. Funny thing is when I still ate meat, which stopped when I was about 14 or 15, a long time ago now, black pudding was my absolute favourite, I thought it was the best taste ever. And blood pudding was followed closely by liver, then kidneys in my list of favourite meats. I had offal taste back then! 😊
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 765489 »

What about this Frank, apart from it being square. If you zoom in on the photo on the site there doesn't seem to be any lumpy bits.

Not sure if you can order online or not though.

https://sneemblackpudding.ie/sneem-black-pudding/