Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Eating yesterday’s Dinner

Jack The Stripper

Eating yesterday’s Dinner

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Seems to be in vogue these days, witnessed 15 minutes of listening to a microwave heating up dinner that the household had cooked yesterday.
They cook the dinner a day ahead, it’s bonkers if you ask me, the length of time they gave microwaving their cardboard dinner they would have a quick stir fry or curry knocked up.
Has life come to this, apparently it has.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Eating yesterday’s Dinner

Post by CelticRambler »

It depends on the circumstances. I'd often make "dinner for two" but as there's only one of me, there'd be a whole portion extra which I'd plate up and have ready to put in the microwave the next day, or the day after. And unless my mother was way ahead of her time, back in the late 80s/early 90s she'd plate up a dinner for me, knowing that I might not get home from university that evening early enough to have dinner before I went out again, but that I'd eat it the next day. Happened a lot on Friday nights, when I'd be going dancing, but she'd be gone off galivanting on the Saturday and not cooking dinner for anyone! :mrgreen:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Having lived on my own for years, I got used to eating yesterday's dinner. It's very hard to economically cook for one every day so I got used to cooking two portions and heating portion #2 on the second day.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I like to cook ahead sometimes on the weekend as I hate having to prep stuff after I finish working. But I'd rarely prep something for the microwave unless it's lasagne. Usually its a pasta sauce or casserole that goes back in the oven.

I agree with the cardboard dinners comment though - lots of food is ruined by the microwave. It's the best way to destroy meat for example...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

People forget that microwaves are tuned to heat water. If there's low water content, it ruins the food I think.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Some foods self ruins itself if not ate when cooked.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:09 pm Some foods self ruins itself if not ate when cooked.
Oh ya, that's a given. If you leave something like a Beef Wellington, the pastry goes all soggy. I was careful when picking the food to reheat to make sure I didn't end up with that (through plenty of trial and error)
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

The only good thing about leftovers is that it’ll usually keep the dog happy.

Unless it’s a stew or occasionally a curry, it gets cooked fresh on the day it’ll be eaten in this house. Stew because it’s better a day or two later, curry because I’d make it with the pickings of a roast chicken.

Used to do it alright when it was just me, same as others here, but can’t be bothered when it’s hardly troublesome to cook a dinner from scratch.