Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Luncheon munching.

isha
Verified Username

Luncheon munching.

Post by isha »

The difficult in between meal. Can you bear to look at another sandwich?

Apparently today I can.

A fried egg sambo. I rarely enough have one, but when I do they are delicious.
Homemade wholemeal spelt bread toasted. Buttered. Scrape of mayonnaise as I just like a little of it. Fair dollop of red chilli relish on the other piece of toast. Finely chopped scallions. Lots of them. Thin slices of ripe tomato. Plus the fried egg. Yummy.

Yesterday I had leftover homemade minestrone soup.

What do you do for the midday meal?
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Cobham

Re: Luncheon munching.

Post by Cobham »

Trying to be good in the post christmas season so have got the soup maker in position and can do a mean soup in 19 mins. Yes it is easy in a pot on hob but this thing is great as can set up and go off and do something else til it 'beeps'. The minimum amount mades enough for three portions.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Never even heard of a soup maker. But it sounds good. Soup is a great option.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

I have the dinner in the middle of the day, grand to be eating a sandwich if it’s an office job or wfh.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:25 pm I have the dinner in the middle of the day, grand to be eating a sandwich if it’s an office job or wfh.
Yes, I much prefer the main meal in the middle of the day, but it only really works if we are both home. And that's not often.
Eating early in the day makes more sense as you have the digestive power.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ideally something with carbs, meat and fruit, or at least two of the three ... but sometimes just one. Eating in the "middle" of the day is generally hit-and-miss for me, except when I'm being paid to work but forced to take an unpaid two hour break just when I'm reaching peak productivity. Stoopid French tradition ... :roll:

Today was a "going out" day, so it was convenient to eat lunch at 13:00, for which I had a (homegrown) beetroot sandwich on (shop bought) whole-wheat bread, with a fistful of (homegrown, home dried) figs, and half a dozen slices of (shop-bought) paté en croûte - the closest French equivalent to a pork pie.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

That sounds delicious, though I'd have to use a veggie alternative paté. I love beetroot 🤤
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Usually have a sandwich and some fruit.
Eat dinner around 7.00pm

When I see the word "luncheon" I automatically think of luncheon meat.

When someone mentions going for brunch, I think of the ice cream
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Yes I would recommend a soup maker. It looks like a kettle and takes up same space on counter. It is really a combination of a kettle and a blender. Once the ingredients have 'brewed' it will then fine blend or chunky for you and beep to say it is done. I was impressed at how robust the design of the one I got is. (Morphy Richards). I even bought some bags of frozen veg to chuck in and usually put in a stockpot or half of. It is a doddle to clean as well. I am not sure about not frying off onion/garlic at start? That would have to be done in separate operation/pot which sort of defeats the objective of convenience. All soups seem to start with a chopped onion!
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Don’t forget the faithful potatoe along with the onion as a base layer for a soup. Dice both and gentle fry in a drizzle of oil.
Heave that into your fancy soup thing then with the veg etc.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I agree about the potato along with onion... Darina Allen's advice too. I am not a great potato eater. But will put in carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato as also they thicken. At the end then the final bit is plenty of seasoning or spices/herbs to taste.... or even a bit of cream. I freeze cream in mini portions so handy.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Made tomato mascarpone sauce to go with my new favourite pasta Fresine today, having dinner at the proper time ie middle of day, as we both have day off. Oh my God, I love this sauce far FAR too much.
Fry onion in olive oil, add whatever vegetables you like - I used green beans, courgettes, celery, mushrooms - then when veg fried up a bit, put in a good teaspoon of smoked paparika, a good teaspoon of garlic powder, a good teaspoon of mixed herbs, a bit of salt, a good blob of tomato puree and a small teaspoon of sugar to take the acidity. Boil and then simmer for a good while. When the pasta is nearly done, add mascarpone to the sauce, stir in well and simmer for a while, but don't boil.
YUM!

Whoops forgot to say add a tin of chopped tomatoes after the spices and salt and sugar....
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I generally wouldn’t snack mid day but if it’s comfort food you’re talking about eggs are a great one as mentioned. I like a simple poached egg on toast with loads of butter with a pinch of salt.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Unexpectedly I have too much time on me hands today and yet I can't leave the house. No fault of mine, if ya want to pay me to work, send enough work to keep me busy and stop me baking!

I made these for lunch. Yummy. Lots of cheese in them. You can use whatever vegetables you like, I used leeks, onion, carrots, Brussels sprouts and mushrooms. I also used wholemeal spelt flour which makes a lovely pastry. Recipe included.

For the pastry but you can make whatever pastry you want

Post by 678904673 »

isha wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:34 pm Unexpectedly I have too much time on me hands today and yet I can't leave the house. No fault of mine, if ya want to pay me to work, send enough work to keep me busy and stop me baking!

I made these for lunch. Yummy. Lots of cheese in them. You can use whatever vegetables you like, I used leeks, onion, carrots, Brussels sprouts and mushrooms. I also used wholemeal spelt flour which makes a lovely pastry. Recipe included.

For the pastry but you can make whatever pastry you want

In general I'm not a fan of Pasties. I try to avoid carbs. But damn they look good
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I don't have pasties often, can't remember the last time, but I got a sudden grá on me 🙂
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Those pasties look great
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:08 pm I don't have pasties often, can't remember the last time, but I got a sudden grá on me 🙂
I would like your permission to marry that pasty !!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane