Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Best restaurant in Dublin

mariannaspring

Best restaurant in Dublin

Post by mariannaspring »

My birthday is coming up in a months time and I want to go out to a nice bar/restaurant.
Johnny Von Pintland

Re: Best restaurant in Dublin

Post by Johnny Von Pintland »

Guilbaud’s has had its two stars for many years now, and is very much in the canon of classic French haute cuisine. I personally prefer Chapter One, which is also grounded in the same techniques, but with more modern touches.

Glover’s Alley only has one star, but I’d rate it as being almost as good as either of the above.

Post by 95438756 »

Tell us how you get on OP.
mariannaspring

Post by mariannaspring »

Thanks for the advice but would you have any other suggestions that are affordable? Chapter One sounds great but as a person who is unemployed it doesn't seem really affordable. I'm looking for something slightly above Nandos, TGI Friday's, or Wagamama.

Post by 678904673 »

Marco Pierre White's on Dawson St. They do a fairly good early bird. 33 euros for 2 courses. Or any of the FXB restaurants are reasonable priced
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Impossible to get champagne on an orange juice budget in Dublin. Why not get a budget holiday.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:36 pm Impossible to get champagne on an orange juice budget in Dublin. Why not get a budget holiday.
Yeah, get yourself a day pass for the bus and get a Spar deli sandwich meal deal in some other part of the city. Live a little. You might get lucky and not have to be served by some foreigner scamming you by putting margarine in your sandwich instead of real butter. Those horrible fakeugees, taking our houses and our women and ruining our budget holiday sandwiches. Grrrr.

Marco Pierre Whites early bird is great value.

That said, he sounds like a fordenner too with a name like that. Grrr. I bet he has Sudanese kitchen porters hiding under the tables. Grrrrrrr.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

JayZeus wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:19 pm Yeah, get yourself a day pass for the bus and get a Spar deli sandwich meal deal in some other part of the city. Live a little. You might get lucky and not have to be served by some foreigner scamming you by putting margarine in your sandwich instead of real butter. Those horrible fakeugees, taking our houses and our women and ruining our budget holiday sandwiches. Grrrr.

That said, he sounds like a fordenner too with a name like that. Grrr. I bet he has Sudanese kitchen porters hiding under the tables. Grrrrrrr.
'no more blah blah blah'
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

JayZeus wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:19 pm Yeah, get yourself a day pass for the bus and get a Spar deli sandwich meal deal in some other part of the city. Live a little. You might get lucky and not have to be served by some foreigner scamming you by putting margarine in your sandwich instead of real butter. Those horrible fakeugees, taking our houses and our women and ruining our budget holiday sandwiches. Grrrr.

MOD NOTE: The friend/foe function is there for a reason, please use it rather than being a dick.

Perhaps you missed this comment in the three other threads?
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Guburnor wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:08 pm MOD NOTE: The friend/foe function is there for a reason, please use it rather than being a dick.

Perhaps you missed this comment in the three other threads?
What does the 'add friend' or 'add foe' function actually do?
If you add someone to foe does it hide all their posts from you?
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Apelles wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:16 am What does the 'add friend' or 'add foe' function actually do?
Friend doesn't do much. Foe hides the posts.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Apelles wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:16 am What does the 'add friend' or 'add foe' function actually do?
I haven't a clue as I don't use it on the principle of "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" - I like to keep an eye on everyone. :mrgreen:

There's something on Facebook - don't know what it is - that prevents one seeing what certain posters are posting. There's one rat on one of the pages that I follow whose posts I can't see and only notice when someone names him in a response. I have found an answer and if you're reading this you cowardly little worm I have your number.
'no more blah blah blah'
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Guburnor wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:50 am Friend doesn't do much. Foe hides the posts.
Is the other person aware if you friend or foe them?
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Apelles wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:00 am Is the other person aware if you friend or foe them?
I don't think so. The purpose is not to be antagonistic, it's simply away of avoiding getting wound up by a particular posters views.

Post by 95438756 »

Apelles wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:00 am Is the other person aware if you friend or foe them?
I Regard the whole system like the YouTube one

You can block some scummy troll making nasty comments and down voting your videos yet that same troll can subscribe to you and be notified as to your new videos

If that helps
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:52 am I haven't a clue as I don't use it on the principle of "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" - I like to keep an eye on everyone. :mrgreen:

There's something on Facebook - don't know what it is - that prevents one seeing what certain posters are posting. There's one rat on one of the pages that I follow whose posts I can't see and only notice when someone names him in a response. I have found an answer and if you're reading this you cowardly little worm I have your number.
Send them your best helicopter stance.