Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Foods of which you Tire and Foods of which you Never Tire

isha
Verified Username

Foods of which you Tire and Foods of which you Never Tire

Post by isha »

Making minestrone this morning for eating later and I thought I really never grow tired of minestrone. I could eat it every day.

I also return almost daily to poached eggs on spelt bread toasted and I always enjoy it.

Similarly potatoes with salt and butter. I could eat them every day also mmmmmmm.

But porridge. Even though I make lovely porridge with fruit and nuts and cinnamon there always comes a day when I get a strong sudden gag reflex while eating porridge and I have to leave it alone for a while.

Apple tart the same. Love it and then loathe it suddenly.

I also suddenly felt like getting sick this week half way through one of those Wispas with the caramel layer. I've no objections to chocolate per se- but if you showed me one of them Wispas now I would feel positively queasy.

Your eternal likes and suddenly can't stands??
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Foods of which you Tire and Foods of which you Never Tire

Post by Del.Monte »

Fish Finger sandwiches - I haven't had one in years but now I feel the urge and I have none in the fridge. In this heat a two mile round trip to the nearest supermarket is not happening. Poached eggs, scrambled eggs, fried eggs - even boiled eggs - never tire of them. Almost every type of chocolate but I have gone right off an old favourite - Wagon Wheels - as the chocolate has become very chemical and has little of its original addictive flavour.
'no more blah blah blah'
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

I've an addiction to cheese, I eat it every single day
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Yep Wagon wheels are gone weird
I ate some camembert while I had Covid and it tasted absolutely horrible. Normally I love it but I don't know if I can eat it again now that I know it's dark side.

Post by 678904673 »

Quiche. The one food I can't stand. Even writing the word makes me want to retch
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Love - Swiss chocolate, toast with proper butter and anything with gravy on it.

Hate - salads, seafood and oysters - the latter of which my dear departed father described as “like eating someone else’s snot off a beer mat”.

The man was a poet!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Oysters must qualify as one of the most revolting foods out there.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

'Tis all very black and white for me: either I like something, and will eat it as often as it comes my way, or I don't like it at all and make every effort to avoid eating it. For the most part, because I try to eat "seasonally" I'd usually eat a lot of the same thing for days or weeks on end (currently about two weeks into eating at least half a dozen plums every day) ... and then not eat that fruit or vegetable for ages.

Right now, though, the challenge is to eat anything, coz it's too fekkin hot, day and night.
Risteard

Post by Risteard »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:17 pm Oysters must qualify as one of the most revolting foods out there.
They are the food of kings, along with lobster.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Risteard wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:59 pm They are the food of kings, along with lobster.
Not sure the dietary habits of inbreds are a great pattern to follow. :mrgreen:

Scones. Freshly baked. 8-) This hot weather has provided me with unwelcome quantities of sour milk, so greater-than-average quantities of scones have been getting made. A great way to use up a load of last year's strawberry jam too, and free up some jars for this year's plum jam.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I could eat cashews and pistachios till the cows come home. Also roast beef done properly with all the trimmings, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding gravy etc… I would make nearly every day if I had the time(which was proven during the lockdowns xp)
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Love me some scones and a proper dinner with all the trimmings.
Mint tea is a herbal tea I never tire of, thank goodness, because every other herbal tea I have to give long breaks if I use it for a while, no matter how fancy they are. If I get sick of mint tea I will be in trouble.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:39 pm Love me some scones and a proper dinner with all the trimmings.
Mint tea is a herbal tea I never tire of, thank goodness, because every other herbal tea I have to give long breaks if I use it for a while, no matter how fancy they are. If I get sick of mint tea I will be in trouble.
Scone with loads of butter, jam and squirty cream out of a can!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:12 pm Scone with loads of butter, jam and squirty cream out of a can!!!!
Get thee behind me, Satan! :evil:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I've never used canned cream. I better not start!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:15 pm Get thee behind me, Satan! :evil:
I’m common as muck and proud of it!!!!

JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Love mashed potatoes served on a plate with a few decent knobs of butter slowly melting into pools of heart-attack on top, a pinch of sea salt and a light dusting of white pepper. In my living memory I can’t recall or imagine a time when that hasn’t appealed to me.

I tire of meat dishes more easily these days. The price of premium quality meats is horrific when I factor in the expense of getting to a butcher ever since the local one retired and had nobody to take over, and the quality of anything that doesn’t hurt the wallet at least a little is even worse from the alternatives. Poultry in particular is awful IMHO. Processed meats are fairly dire anyway, but the supermarket stuff is something I avoid whenever possible anyway. Pity really.

Otherwise I’m with PlaneSpeeking. Really dislike salads (happy to eat my fruit and veg to be clear) and refuse to eat seafood and shellfish.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's funny, my daughter's German partner goes mad for mashed potatoes when he is here as if they are a really special treat (I like them too) but I sometimes wonder why he can't just mash his potatoes every day? Maybe it's Irish butter and milk that makes them taste better?

I'm also remembering now how much minced meat we ate as kids in a big family in the 70s/80s when a country knew how to do a proper recession. God I ended up loathing it. Can't bear to even see it now.

When I was in university I ate so much Country Store - it was my staple diet - that I feel ill at the thought of it now. Especially that last bit in the bag that was mostly sugar. I must have had worms 🤢
The Kitchen Sink

Post by The Kitchen Sink »

Whipped cream from a can is the bee's knees.
The Kitchen Sink

In fact I'd say it's the bees knees, the cat's pyjamas and the dog's bollocks all rolled into one. I'd eat it all the god damn time if I could do so without getting stoopid type 2 diabetes. Boooo to type twooo.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I've never tried it in fairness, but I can't imagine that it is actually, well, cream...is it?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Apparently it is! Almost all cream plus carrageenan and nitrous oxide 😮

I should try it out.
The Kitchen Sink

isha wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:57 pm I've never tried it in fairness, but I can't imagine that it is actually, well, cream...is it?
I'm sure there's some cream in there but I'd imagine a lot of additives and chemical accoutrement go into it.
The Kitchen Sink

I just looked one up on the SuperValu website and these are the ingredients.

"Water, Fully Hydrogenated Palm Oil (15%), Sugar (10%), Dextrose, Propellant: Nitrous Oxide, Glucose Syrup, Humectant: Sorbitol, Emulsifiers: Mono and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono - and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids, Polyoxyethylene Sorbitan Monostearate, Thickener: Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, Potato Starch, Salt, Flavouring."

JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I refuse to buy anything containing palm oil.