Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

All Things Baking

Re: All Things Baking

Post by 765489 »

Looking forward to the photo 😀
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

20210821_201430.jpg
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

For those who have an excess of apples (or rhubarb) they freeze really well IMO. I core and section our apples(using a gadget that does both at the same time), toss in lemon juice and bag them with a vacuum packing machine.

Before I had either the cutting/coring gadget (which is cheap) or the vacuum packer I did them by hand with a knife and flat packed in normal freezer bags. Having a decent size freezer is key, of course, as it's not worth doing this if it uses up all your space.

I'm still using last year's apples for a variety of bakes, including tarts, apple cake, crumbles and apple pancakes. They have probably deteriorated slightly by now, but still make excellent desserts.

Neither my apples nor my rhubarb have had great harvests this year in comparison to other years, but that happens.
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

My comfort treat - 'Annie Grant's Shortbread'. It took a long time and a lot of frustrating failures before I finally got shortbread making sorted out - this batch whipped-up in my overheated kitchen this evening should be very edible tomorrow. I cut the slices in a hurry hence the uneven sizes. This recipe contains the magic ingredient - cornflour - before I was given the recipe by the aforementioned Annie Grant every batch that I made were edible but potential teeth breakers! I used to make with all organic ingredients but they have become impossible to get in Enniscorthy - I suppose I'm lucky to even be able to buy flour.

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Some lovely looking treats for sure. :)
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Pigging out tonight with freshly baked white scones and smoked salmon. I used to make perfect rounded scones - carefully rolled and cut with a glass - too much messing and handling. Now I get a quicker, fluffier result and a lot less messing with cut-off scraps.

'no more blah blah blah'
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:46 pm Pigging out tonight with freshly baked white scones and smoked salmon. I used to make perfect rounded scones - carefully rolled and cut with a glass - too much messing and handling. Now I get a quicker, fluffier result and a lot less messing with cut-off scraps.

I agree, especially if cutting and re-rolling, as that toughens the dough resulting in chewy scones. Lately, I've been using another way of making scones that's similarly easy and quick. I form a round (like an Irish scone bread loaf) and cut that into triangles. No mess, no fuss, no re-rolling :)
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott

Post by 765489 »

Osciiboscii wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:44 pm Right.....I wonder if they'd be a success in a tart? Anyway, basic pastry, enough for one tart with scraps left over (which i keep and freeze till there's enough for another tart) 10 oz flour/5oz butter. Cut butter into tiny cubes and rub into flour. Sometimes i replace 1oz flour with either semina or ground rice. Add half a small glass of water and bring together. You might need more water.
Right, it's made and in the oven. Hopefully I don't burn the house down. Or the plate doesn't crack. :mrgreen:
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

I'll put on the kettle so...

Post by 765489 »

Osciiboscii wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:28 pm I'll put on the kettle so...
How long do I leave it in for OB if you don't mind me asking. I had it at 200 but turned it down to 180. In since 9.10pm.
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:34 pm How long do I leave it in for OB if you don't mind me asking. I had it at 200 but turned it down to 180. In since 9.10pm.
Pics or it didn't happen :D

Post by 765489 »

silverbirch wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:56 pm Pics or it didn't happen :D
It's nearly 10pm and its turning brown... done ? There's liquid coming out of it ha
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Oops...only saw this now....should be done
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

images.jpeg.jpg
..tea's ready

Post by 765489 »

:D Drum roll... ncdjd's first apple tart with thanks to Osciiboscii's guidance. I'll be scoffing half of this in the morning for breakfast. Needs more sugar. I'll be looking out for some blackberries for the next one. 😀
Screenshot_20210829-221515_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210829-221508_Gallery.jpg

Post by 765489 »

Pastry is lovely and buttery. I'm not sure how much is going to be left come morning. Slowly getting stuck into it ha
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Looks yum 😀.

Post by 765489 »

The pastry was too thick and not enough apples in it. I'll try another on during the week. Need to go out now and work it off ha.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

20210911_172633.jpg
Today's bread, today :mrgreen:
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Home made bread is hard to beat! These loaves look delicious.
I've taken to using a pizza stone lately to bake the traditional round soda and wholemeal loaves. Pre-heated in the oven it makes a great job.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Thanks CB - it's a Darina Allen recipe, and 3 pans fit on 1 shelf of the Rayburn. I make my own kefir and use that instead of buttermilk. Yes, preheating a baking sheet before baking scones works too.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

So who else made what today? 😜😁📸
dawg

Post by dawg »

Osciiboscii wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:02 pm So who else made what today? 😜😁📸
Because Del.monte mentioned The Stones elsewhere this came up

Anyone else rely on Delia Smith's cookery course for all thing cooking ?

The cake on that Stones album cover was, of course, made by Delia
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Ya, I have Delia's complete cookery course, fairly battered now. My favourite Christmas ccoking book is Darina's Simply Delicious Christmas. Having said that, my puddings recipe is a closely guarded handed down recipe 😋. First batch ready for steaming today 🥳