Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

All Things Baking

Osciiboscii

Re: All Things Baking

Post by Osciiboscii »

Clurickeen wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:55 pm Thanks for this. The all in one makes it sounds that bit easier. Will definitely be trying it out
I use a similar recipe, with variations for flavour eg coffee, i add 1 or 2 level tbsp instant ESPRESSO coffee powder to the mix. And I beat the butter a little first before dumping in everything else. Gasping for a wedge of coffee cake now.... :mrgreen:
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Osciiboscii wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:42 pm I use a similar recipe, with variations for flavour eg coffee, i add 1 or 2 level tbsp instant ESPRESSO coffee powder to the mix. And I beat the butter a little first before dumping in everything else. Gasping for a wedge of coffee cake now.... :mrgreen:

CoffeeWalnutCake.jpg
CoffeeWalnutCake.jpg (159.51 KiB) Viewed 5318 times
Here you go - I use a nice strong Espresso in the cake and the icing. This is an all in one cake similar to Mary Berry's. :)
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

images.jpeg.jpg

Post by 765489 »

Craving cake now and it's only 7.30 in the morning :D
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Yeah, me too now, but it was worse last night (early this morning) when I pulled out the photo! I'd have been shot if I hoked out a mixer and started making it at 3am.

If anyone needs the exact recipe I used for that cake, let me know and I'll post it up. I've been assembling recipes in a Word document these last few years and tweaking them to suit our family. I have visions (delusions!) of my offspring taking over and making me my favourites when I'm past it and can only contribute by eating the results :)
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott

Post by 765489 »

CuisleBeat wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:56 am I've been assembling recipes in a Word document these last few years and tweaking them to suit our family. I have visions (delusions!) of my offspring taking over and making me my favourites when I'm past it and can only contribute by eating the results :)
That's a great idea. I miss my mother's baking. I would have loved if she kept a couple of recipes of some of the stuff she done. She tried to teach myself and brother but it didn't rub off on us other than waiting to lick the bowl or eat the marzipan left over. They will look back on that file in years to come.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

CuisleBeat wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:56 amI've been assembling recipes in a Word document these last few years and tweaking them to suit our family. I have visions (delusions!) of my offspring taking over and making me my favourites when I'm past it and can only contribute by eating the results :)
My offspring have already begun pushing me to do something similar. Mostly the boys (now leading independent young adult lives) who'll send a request for a particular recipe. As I begin to copy what's in the book/on the back of an envelope, I realise that my version has diverged from the original - sometimes by about 95% percent! :mrgreen:

And then there are the recipes written in what is now invisible ink, and can only be read by holding the page at a certain angle in a certain light ... One of these day's I'll get around to digitising the whole lot. :)
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

CuisleBeat wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:56 am I've been assembling recipes in a Word document these last few years and tweaking them to suit our family. I have visions (delusions!) of my offspring taking over and making me my favourites when I'm past it and can only contribute by eating the results :)
#metoo. Visions/delusions of opening a teashop!
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Continuing from the other thread, has anyone made homemade jaffa cakes...any good recipe? I've stopped buying bikkies cos they're not worth it.
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

I never bake biscuits and only seldom buy them, mainly plain digestive or rich tea. I'm just not a fan, except in emergencies or to be polite when offered them away from home.

Have you tried tray bakes, Osciiboscii? A big slap of a cake cut into portions (!) and piled up or frozen. So many fabulous options and so much easier than cakes, biscuits or pastries for a crowd (or a glutton).

You could try a Jaffa cake sub by making a plain vanilla slab cake, slather it in marmalade and then cover with melted chocolate. I challenge you ...
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

You could try a Jaffa cake sub by making a plain vanilla slab cake, slather it in marmalade and then cover with melted chocolate. I challenge you ...
[/quote]

You're on!

Post by 765489 »

:mrgreen:

This thread rocks.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:07 pm :mrgreen:

This thread rocks.
Haha....we could have a Bake Off thread :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I think I put on a few pounds since this thread started.
I love sweet stuff :lol:
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:52 am I think I put on a few pounds since this thread started.
I love sweet stuff :lol:
You know what they say...."never trust a skinny cook" :lol:
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Osciiboscii wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:04 pm You could try a Jaffa cake sub by making a plain vanilla slab cake, slather it in marmalade and then cover with melted chocolate. I challenge you ...
You're on!
[/quote]

Pics required ... and a recipe if it's a success! I'm looking forward to seeing the results 8-)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Osciiboscii wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:39 am You know what they say...."never trust a skinny cook" :lol:
I cant be saying that, the missus is a slim lass, and she is a confectioner :lol: :lol:
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:54 pm I cant be saying that, the missus is a slim lass, and she is a confectioner :lol: :lol:
Ooo! She might have tips for us amateurs :D

Post by 765489 »

Lads what's da story with the cake pictures ? I'm starving here... :P
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:10 pm Lads what's da story with the cake pictures ? I'm starving here... :P
You are too late, CR took it all ...(Makes hasty exit with the last bit of pie)
Last edited by kadman on Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 765489 »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:17 pm You are too late, CR took it all ( Makes hasty exit with the last bit of pie)
He'll probably have another siesta after that now.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:19 pm He'll probably have another siesta after that now.
He wont know who told on him, as its too small to read in your quote :D
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Strawberry pavlova.jpg
Strawberry pavlova.jpg (104.56 KiB) Viewed 5210 times
Anyone for Strawberry Pavlova (with a few grapes thrown in) at the weekend? Sunday is supposed to be good in terms of weather. This is on my to-do list.

I made one large circle and one smaller meringue 'lid' in this one with 4 egg whites and 150gms sugar.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:10 pm Lads what's da story with the cake pictures ? I'm starving here... :P
More pics tomorrow...I've jaffa cakes to make
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

CuisleBeat wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:06 pm Strawberry pavlova.jpg

Anyone for Strawberry Pavlova (with a few grapes thrown in) at the weekend? Sunday is supposed to be good in terms of weather. This is on my to-do list.

I made one large circle and one smaller meringue 'lid' in this one with 4 egg whites and 150gms sugar.
For a split second i thought this was a muppet :lol: :lol: :lol: ...looks diviiine