Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

All Things Baking

Re: All Things Baking

Post by 765489 »

That Pavlova looks gorgeous. My friend and his wife dropped one into myself and father there about 2 weeks ago... we devoured the lot... the dogs didn't even get a look in :)
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Pavlova is a dead easy dessert to make, albeit takes a little advance work. If disaster happens and it falls apart, there's always Eton Mess with the exact same ingredients. None ever gets wasted in this house either :)
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Pavlova Recipe
Meringue
4 egg whites
150gms caster sugar
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping
500gms strawberries, hulled and halved (or mixed fresh fruit)
350mls double cream, whipped.

Heat the oven to 130 degrees (fan). Draw a large circle with a dinner plate onto parchment paper*. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Whisk in the sugar, a tablespoon at a time until it’s glossy. Whisk in the vinegar, vanilla and the cornflour.
Spread the meringue into the circle and create a crater in the centre using a spoon. Bake for 1 hour and then turn off the heat. Let the pavlova cool completely in the oven. Never mind if a few cracks form – the filling will hide them or you can make Eton Mess!
When fully cool, fill with the whipped cream and strawberries. Sprinkle with icing sugar (or grated chocolate) and serve.
*Can also make 2 x smaller circles – one as a base and the other as a lid.
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

CuisleBeat wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:55 pm Bake for 1 hour and then turn off the heat. Let the pavlova cool completely in the oven.
And I would add: don't be tempted to open the oven to check on it! Turn off the heat after an hour and just believe! I usually make mine towards the end of the day, and leave it in the oven overnight.

Used to make them all the time when we had our own laying hens and millions of eggs to use up; but times changed. I don't have a single egg in the house at the moment since I fried the last two last week. :(
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

CuisleBeat wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:51 pm Pavlova is a dead easy dessert to make, albeit takes a little advance work. If disaster happens and it falls apart, there's always Eton Mess with the exact same ingredients. None ever gets wasted in this house either :)
Looks divine. Now, if only it could be made without cream :cry: detest the stuff..suffice to say I never made pavlova. :(
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Osciiboscii wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:44 pm Looks divine. Now, if only it could be made without cream :cry: detest the stuff..suffice to say I never made pavlova. :(
That's a shame - could you sub the cream with something? Custard or imitation cream? Even chocolate mousse?

Actually, there's no need for any cream really - just pile in the fruit.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Gosh ya, never thought of mousse! Thank you :)
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Isn't there someone here whose OH is a confectioner....? Must go back and see. I have a question :?:
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

@Kadman.....would your good lady help us out here? The imitation cream in shop cakes / buns 'n stuff, how do they make it? It is so much lighter than any of the buttercreams, and I've tried them all. :?: :?
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

20210814_175604_crop_7.jpg
CuisleBeat wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:48 am You're on!
Pics required ... and a recipe if it's a success! I'm looking forward to seeing the results 8-)
[/quote]
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Bit rough .... I don't usually do little cakes. But the taste! Just like they used to. I'd def make these again.

Post by 765489 »

They look far nicer than the ones ya get in the box.
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

They look delicious - well done you! I might give them a go and cut a rectangular cake into little squares. I'm lazy ...
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Osciiboscii wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:03 pm Bit rough .... I don't usually do little cakes. But the taste! Just like they used to. I'd def make these again.
Not rough at all - they're artisan, don't you know! :)
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

CuisleBeat wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:11 pm They look delicious - well done you! I might give them a go and cut a rectangular cake into little squares. I'm lazy ...
Ya, was thinking I might do it traybake style next time. Less fiddly and quicker. I made a Devonshire Apple traybake too. Most cake with least effort.
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Osciiboscii wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:42 pm @Kadman.....would your good lady help us out here? The imitation cream in shop cakes / buns 'n stuff, how do they make it? It is so much lighter than any of the buttercreams, and I've tried them all. :?: :?
Have you tried Ermine or Russian buttercream? I loathe the sweetness of traditional buttercream and these options are so much better IMO. While the texture of pastry cream is nice and light, a lot of it is sickeningly sweet to me.

This is my go to recipe for less sweet buttercream - you can flavour it however you like:

Light and Fluffy Buttercream
100mls Whole Milk (room temperature)
120gms Sugar (granulated is grand, but caster dissolves a little quicker)
180gms Butter (softened)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Combine the sugar and milk and stir until dissolved fully – this can take quite a few minutes - another job for a willing child. Add in the vanilla extract. Beat the butter until creamed and slowly add the milk mixture while the mixer is running. Continue beating until the mix is light and fluffy, scraping down the bowl several times.

In hot weather, this icing is very soft, so may need to be refrigerated - not usually a problem in this country. This is enough to generously fill and top ice a 7" layer cake. With the addition of some strong espresso, it's what I use for my coffee and walnut cake pictured above.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Thanks CB, it's the buttery/creamy taste I don't like, unfortunately.
CuisleBeat

Pastry Cream Recipe

Post by CuisleBeat »

https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/simp ... atissiere/

This lady has some great baking recipes on her site - she's Irish, although living in the US.

Using this pastry cream, you have enough egg whites left for the pavlova, Osciiboscii. Just remember to make them both the night before.

Post by 765489 »

Any of ye have any simple recipes for the pastry for an apple tart ? I have a rolling pin. Got loads of apples and want to try to use them up some way apart from eating them fresh. Thank in advance.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:17 pm Any of ye have any simple recipes for the pastry for an apple tart ? I have a rolling pin. Got loads of apples and want to try to use them up some way apart from eating them fresh. Thank in advance.
Are they eating or cooking apples?

Post by 765489 »

Osciiboscii wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:33 pm Are they eating or cooking apples?
Eating apples OB.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Right.....I wonder if they'd be a success in a tart? Anyway, basic pastry, enough for one tart with scraps left over (which i keep and freeze till there's enough for another tart) 10 oz flour/5oz butter. Cut butter into tiny cubes and rub into flour. Sometimes i replace 1oz flour with either semina or ground rice. Add half a small glass of water and bring together. You might need more water.

Post by 765489 »

Perfect OB thanks. I'll give it a shot in a few days and post my results. :mrgreen:
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:46 pm Perfect OB thanks. I'll give it a shot in a few days and post my results. :mrgreen:
Look forward to that :D . I've a tart in the Rayburn right now. And looking for a recipe to use up some rhubarb and blueberries. I've enough to make an upside down cake for tomorrow