Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

All Things Baking

Osciiboscii

All Things Baking

Post by Osciiboscii »

Here goes, first time ever creating a thread either here or "there". So, all things baking - questions, tips 'n tricks, pics. Let's see if I can upload a pic of today's efforts....
Osciiboscii

Re: All Things Baking

Post by Osciiboscii »

Hmmm.....file too big
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

20210802_163700_compress88.jpg
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

So, ye olde fashioned apple tart on left. Replaced some flour with semolina, and I also sprinkle in a spoonful before adding the apples to soak excess juce. For damage limitation I use half sugar half sweetener. :lol: Upside down rhubarb cake on the right.
notfromhere
Verified Username

Post by notfromhere »

Looks lovely, wish i was able to bake, its so hard to get a nice apple or rhubarb cake.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Well, this is the place to ask all those "how-to" questions. There's plenty of us out there willing to share. I'd be the first to admit I am incapable of making nice pastry by hand. Cake mixer, and butter.
notfromhere
Verified Username

Post by notfromhere »

Will do, Thanks
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

great stuff!!
Hold The Door
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Necessity being the mother of invention, while hosting a load of pandemic refugees last year I discovered that Rhubarb and Fig makes for a great crumble, especially with my not-too-secret ingredient - a blend of hibiscus and rose (hip?) that I brought back from the Spice Market in Mombasa.

I think I see a first ripe fig of the season from the kitchen window.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Pies look beautiful....I think I can even smell them...mmmmmm.....
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

We grow our own rhubarb and have made loads of things over the years to ring the changes. It freezes well too. May I just recommend the addition of the spice coriander to a rhubarb tart? It adds a wonderful warm orange kind of flavour - delicious.
Also, anyone who makes apple cake can just sub rhubarb in the recipe and it's divine.
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Coriander leaves or seeds?
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Pies look fab.
Bake brown bread here daily and scones/tarts a couple times/week and always lovely if I say so myself, can't beat home baking. What I can't seem to master tho is a nice sponge or chocolate cake, would love to be able to make one of those fancy creations.
Does anyone have a nice simple recipe for a novice cake Baker?
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

@CelticRambler Ground coriander spice - presume it's the seeds ground up? I usually grind my own nutmeg, so I should probably do the same with the coriander but the already ground stuff is great. I love the smell of it - a bit like neroli oil.
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Clurickeen wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:11 pm Pies look fab.
Bake brown bread here daily and scones/tarts a couple times/week and always lovely if I say so myself, can't beat home baking. What I can't seem to master tho is a nice sponge or chocolate cake, would love to be able to make one of those fancy creations.
I'd opt for an all in one cake recipe in a mixer, if you have one. I'll look through mine and post one later or tomorrow. Basically, any simple cake recipe and add in an extra teaspoon of baking powder. Fire the lot into a bowl and beat for about 3-5 minutes. Divide between greased and lined tins. The simplest filling (and the nicest IMO) is jam and fresh cream or mascarpone.
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

CuisleBeat wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:23 pm I'd opt for an all in one cake recipe in a mixer, if you have one. I'll look through mine and post one later or tomorrow. Basically, any simple cake recipe and add in an extra teaspoon of baking powder. Fire the lot into a bowl and beat for about 3-5 minutes. Divide between greased and lined tins. The simplest filling (and the nicest IMO) is jam and fresh cream or mascarpone.
I do have a mixer so would love to try that. Thanks in advance for the recipe, will definitely try it.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

CuisleBeat wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:05 pm We grow our own rhubarb and have made loads of things over the years to ring the changes. It freezes well too. May I just recommend the addition of the spice coriander to a rhubarb tart? It adds a wonderful warm orange kind of flavour - delicious.
Also, anyone who makes apple cake can just sub rhubarb in the recipe and it's divine.
Must try the addition of coriander...not one you'd think of. Ginger would be my go-to.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Clurickeen wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:11 pm Pies look fab.
Yes, bake loads of brown bread, scones, yeast breads. I keep a sourdough starter but the bread is hit and miss. I have a really simple chocolate fudge cake recipe. It just cannot fail. It's online too so I'll try and find it & post the link for you..
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Sometimes I replace some of the milk with Baileys, or rum.
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Thanks for this, looks great. Will try it and report back!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Osciiboscii wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:59 pm Must try the addition of coriander...not one you'd think of. Ginger would be my go-to.
While I do like the flavour of ginger, I find there's a fine line between "just right" and "too much" that leaves an unpleasant aftertaste, so even though I use it from time to time in a specific recipe, I don't tend to experiment with it. Still, I'm on my third attempt this year to grow it myself - have got it to germinate OK using a piece bought in Lidl, but can't seem to keep it alive afterwards. Also growing coriander, which is no problem: first crop of seeds is almost ready to harvest, and I've already dried two batches of leaves from the second crop for later use and/or sending to others.
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

I find with ginger that it helps to use some stem ginger in recipes and not just all 'of a piece'. The one that's sold in jars - ginger balls and/or the dried glace version. This is especially the case for jam. Another great use for rhubarb and ginger is in infused gin. Makes great cocktails :)
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Clurickeen wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:26 pm I do have a mixer so would love to try that. Thanks in advance for the recipe, will definitely try it.
This is Mary Berry's recipe for an all in one mix. I use a bit less sugar in mine as I find some cakes just too sweet. I also add in some ground almonds to make up for less sugar and to make the cake a little more moist and last a bit longer. But it's all fired into the bowl as is - a good one for when kids are 'helping' out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mary ... fect_34317
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

CuisleBeat wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:46 pm This is Mary Berry's recipe for an all in one mix. I use a bit less sugar in mine as I find some cakes just too sweet. I also add in some ground almonds to make up for less sugar and to make the cake a little more moist and last a bit longer. But it's all fired into the bowl as is - a good one for when kids are 'helping' out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mary ... fect_34317
Thanks for this. The all in one makes it sounds that bit easier. Will definitely be trying it out