Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Cocktails!

Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Cocktails!

Post by Hodors Appletart »

During the first lockdown, myself and the wife decided that to differentiate the working week from ther weekend, we'd start a tradition of "after work drinks" once the laptops were shut on a Friday, we settled on cocktails as something a bit different.

It grew legs and now we do research, have bought glassware and a serious amount of spirits and other ingredients.

I mixed my first Negronis about 2 months ago and I love them.

Any favourites out there?
Hold The Door
silverbirch

Re: Cocktails!

Post by silverbirch »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:27 am During the first lockdown, myself and the wife decided that to differentiate the working week from ther weekend, we'd start a tradition of "after work drinks" once the laptops were shut on a Friday, we settled on cocktails as something a bit different.

It grew legs and now we do research, have bought glassware and a serious amount of spirits and other ingredients.

I mixed my first Negronis about 2 months ago and I love them.

Any favourites out there?
If you like a negroni you'll love a sbagliato! Just replace the gin in a negroni with prosecco. It's my favourite cocktail.
I'm also quite partial to a simple campari soda.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Anyone know where to get good mocktail recipes? Had some absolute beauts in Galway before lockdown.
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

An Arnold Palmer is a lovely cocktail/mocktail with iced tea, lemonade, a sprig of mint and a lemon wheel wedge - a dash of Vodka makes it nicely alcoholic.

I made Elderflower cordial this year and it's gorgeous thrown into any alcohol/non alcohol concoction.

Rhubarb and ginger infused gin is also a great basis.

IMO, it's the ceremony, colours and the presentation of cocktails/mocktails that makes them special. A variety of tall, medium and short glasses helps too. Lots of mint, lime, lemon and frosting - and yes, umbrellas and other decorations just for the hell of it.
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

The secret to a good cocktail is a nice balance of citrus and sugar. Add whatever flavour or alcohol you like.

A shake over ice is generally a great idea and strain (the broken ice crystals) for the more sophisticated drinks. Garnishes really bring them to life.

You can use a little egg white and dry shake in drinks with particles such as syrup this will really clean your drink and amalgamate the flavours in a surprising way. I like a good whiskey sour.

1 part whiskey
1/2 part lime juice
1/3 part orange juice
1/2 part sugar

Dry shake with some egg white for 30 seconds, then add ice and shake again. Strain over ice. Garnish with a few drops of angostura bitters for a nice smell and look.

CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Looking at the above picture 2u2me, I'm now thinking getting someone to make you a cocktail like that is the ultimate pre-requisite :)
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

CuisleBeat wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:04 pm Looking at the above picture 2u2me, I'm now thinking getting someone to make you a cocktail like that is the ultimate pre-requisite :)
Its really that easy! All you need is a shaker and maybe strainer. The secret is the shaking without ice first with the egg white for 30 seconds (about 1/3 part egg white). Then add ice and shake again.
You might need to double the recipe to get that amount. ;)
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

No mention of bitters?
Hold The Door
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:02 pm No mention of bitters?
Its a lovely addition to the right drink. You can see a few drops in the garnish in the above picture.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Made some Chocolate Orange Espresso Martinis the other day.

35ml Espresso
25ml Vodka
20ml Kahlua
10ml Creme De Cacao
10ml Cointreau
5ml Rich Demerara Syrup

Shake with ice, double strain into Martini glass, garnish with coffee beans, shaved chocolate and an orange twist

Absolutely sensational
Hold The Door