Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

"You're lucky he didn't poison you!"

CelticRambler
Verified Username

"You're lucky he didn't poison you!"

Post by CelticRambler »

Just been watching a YT video where variations on this sentiment have uttered three or four times, by the host who invited a perfectly capable cook to feed her other guests ... and by the cook himself.

They were all British, but I've been hearing this line from Irish family and friends too, for as long as I can remember, and it drives me up the walls. What's behind this obsession with writing off good cooking with a quip about not poisoning the people being fed? I've never come across anything close to this amongst any of the other nationalities that have passed through my kitchen. Sure, you might get the odd quip about needing a breathalyser after a particularly alcoholic dessert, or a reference to borrowing the chainsaw to carve a piece of meat - but these'd be when things are wrong with the food, not when it's right.

Anyone else get wound up like this ... ? :?
dawg

Re: "You're lucky he didn't poison you!"

Post by dawg »

Was composing a reply in agreement but got so wound up over people having this kind of attitude that it got deleted 'n I gave you a thanks instead.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: "You're lucky he didn't poison you!"

Post by CelticRambler »

Grand. Knowing I'm not the only one is reward enough! :mrgreen: