Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Beer!

Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Beer!

Post by Hodors Appletart »

Anyone into craft beer?

It's all I drink unless I'm in a place where there's none obviously, then I'll be on the cheapest of the mainstream beers on offer

I try to stick to mostly Irish, but will throw some international beers into my deliveries.

Whiplash, Kinnegar, White Hag probably my favourites
Hold The Door
Gonzovision
Verified Username

Re: Beer!

Post by Gonzovision »

I've a sub with White Hag for the last 7 or 8 months. It's 12 cans a month and one or two are usually from another craft brewery. I'm a fan of their ales mainly, but the boxes will have stout or some quite flavored beer....

In fairness it is a good selection, but I'm not a massive fan of stout in general and I've gotten a few horrendous ones - off the top of my head, beetroot and egg nog stand out as the worst offenders.

I'd have to have a think about going for the second year, but well worth trying.
JayRoc
Verified Username

Post by JayRoc »

Gonzovision wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:05 am I've a sub with White Hag for the last 7 or 8 months. It's 12 cans a month and one or two are usually from another craft brewery. I'm a fan of their ales mainly, but the boxes will have stout or some quite flavored beer....

In fairness it is a good selection, but I'm not a massive fan of stout in general and I've gotten a few horrendous ones - off the top of my head, beetroot and egg nog stand out as the worst offenders.

I'd have to have a think about going for the second year, but well worth trying.

Jesus, I don't remember their beetroot stout...was it Subscriber Only?

I kinda like some of the mad ideas they have had (I think I am the only person who bought more than one of the shamrock shakes) but that sounds like a bridge too far.
Gonzovision
Verified Username

Post by Gonzovision »

I'm pretty sure it was that one! I don't think it was White Hag branded, but did come in the sub.... Ye it's a hard pass for me. That and egg nog were the only two I've ever poured down the sink I'd say.

The Shamrock was Ok, but if I get it again I'll send it on to ye :D

peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

Beer = malt + hops + water.

Everything else is an experiment, but not beer

Sorry, German ...can't help it :mrgreen:
nimrod86
Verified Username

Post by nimrod86 »

Maybe I'm just an uncultured heathen, but I just cannot get into craft beers at all! I give them a go every now and again but to me they all just taste like beer that had Potpourri soaked in it for a few weeks...

Personally I really like the likes of Heineken or Budweisser, and over the past few years of homebrewing has tried to emulate them with no success. On the other hand ales and that are a dawdle to make! Turns out that brewing something bland and plain is actually REALLY difficult!
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

you need a fridge to brew lager.
Hold The Door
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Love my amber ales, unfortunately don't seem to get any here.
Frank

Post by Frank »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:40 pm Love my amber ales, unfortunately don't seem to get any here.
Dot do one.
nimrod86
Verified Username

Post by nimrod86 »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:44 am you need a fridge to brew lager.
Close on a month late replying, but yeah - I started looking into it a bit more after the first failed attempts and ended up building myself a BrewPi fridge to use. Though with moving house and all the fun involved I've not actually used it to brew anything and at the moment it's just a dedicated beer fridge for the house :lol:

I've started building myself a "keggle" and plan to try a Brew in a Bag at somepoint soon. Previously the "lager" kits I tried turned out after a lot of googling to just be ale kits with some lager style hops and additives, so no wonder I wasn't getting anything near what I liked.

Maybe a Homebrewing sub-forum could be started to pool knowledge and give advice.
Seafields
Verified Username

Post by Seafields »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:23 am Anyone into craft beer?

It's all I drink unless I'm in a place where there's none obviously, then I'll be on the cheapest of the mainstream beers on offer

I try to stick to mostly Irish, but will throw some international beers into my deliveries.

Whiplash, Kinnegar, White Hag probably my favourites
My firm favourite is Scarlett pimpernel by the Killarney brewing company. If you see it pick up a few. You won't be disappointed
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

ah yeah I've had Killarney beers the odd time, I think Supervalu stocked them at one stage.

I was at a launch night of theirs a few years ago.
Hold The Door
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I love trying new beers. I'm pretty spoilt here in Canada tbh. LOTS of great beer choices. Almost every style you can think off and more, and several versions of those styles by several breweries. I think there is 15 in Winnipeg alone. Plus I live close to the biggest beer store in Winnipeg that gets in brews from all over Canada and the US.
The problem I found last time I was back in Dublin is, yes, there are several breweries, but they all just do their version of the same 4 or 5 beers. You'll get an IPA, a stout, a red and maybe an amber or pilsner. Here is Canada there is sub styles within those main styles. New beers coming out every week too. I sent a few back to my brother in law, still waiting for his reviews back as he was hella skeptical when I described them to him.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Big difference to the last time you were back then, and it must be a long while if they're the only styles that could be got from an Irish brewery at the time.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Who’s doing the best lager from the Irish breweries these days people?
Indiablo

Post by Indiablo »

Not a craft beer at all but I saw the new stout from Heineken "Islands Edge" on offer with free pint glass in Centra and said sure I'll give it a try.

I was really pleasantly surprised at how good it is! Admittedly I went in with low expectations and thinking what's the point even trying to go up against Guinness but I would genuinely recommend giving it a bash at least while the free glass is on offer.
"The Nature of Reality is Pure Subjective Fantasy"