Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What *am I having* for dinner tonight?

KHD

Re: What *am I having* for dinner tonight?

Post by KHD »

I'm not even going to ask what your going to do with 150 terracotta flower pots. Although, if that was me I'd be thinking about putting something in them and flogging them in the local market. :)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

DtrNo2 said "make a flowerpot man"

The former MrsCR said "send them to me"

YerMan was going to smash them up to use as cheap hard core.

I will probably use them for their intended purpose: to grow seedlings, herbs, bulbs and assorted "specimen" plants, with the intention of having a most beautifully floral courtyard next year.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Never heard of a flowerpot man until I googled it there. It's amazing the sh1te I learn in a thread about food :D Anyway nice to get them.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Had a half pounder done on the bbq, Tesco British chips with cheese and homemade garlic mayo.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:42 pm If I was forced to choose one meal that I would have to eat for the rest of my life it would be minestrone. Have just made a cauldron of it 🙂.
It's the food of the Gods!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Last night - comfort treat - lazy apple crumble i.e. two tins of pears instead of peeling and coring loads of apples! Prep time - about 5 minutes and cooking time about 30 minutes. Yum!

Only about half the volume of an apple crumble - I suppose that I could have used four tins of pears.... :D

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Tonight, I have been invited to SisterNo2 for dinner. Also in attendance will be SisterNo.1+child/ren, Dtr No.2 +1, the parents, and SisterNo.2's three children. Brother & co. were invited too but have a conflict of interest.

I have been informed that I'm "helping" with the cooking. :roll:

I have furthermore been asked to confirm the ingredients, because it's one of my recipes that's being served. :shock:

Somehow, it feels like I'm doing most of the work for this event, and I'm not even a resident in the city any more. :?
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Had a bbq earlier, had some rib eye steak, steak burgers, ribs, chips and rabbit food.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/moong-dal-recipe/

I made the above Moong Dal for dinner plus wholegrain Basmati, natural yoghurt, and Pataks aubergine pickle, which is the best pickle ever. The Dal has a really authentic flavour. Even if you don't have everything, it still tastes good, you can leave out curry leaves for example. I substituted ground cumin for cumin seeds and added later than the recipe. Plus I added ground coriander because I love it. The tempering of the Dal with the fried garlic, chili and mustard seeds is what makes it. You can use half olive oil, half butter if you don't have ghee. In other words, you can make up your own version. I will be making this often from now on as I love it!

Edit oh yeah I also just boiled in a pot, not pressure cooker. You have to add water as it goes along as it really absorbs it
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I love Indian food - hotter the better - but would never attempt this sort of thing as it's way beyond my pay grade!
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's incredibly easy. It takes less than half an hour. You just have to have the spices in. And the right type of lentils. There's an amazing Indian shop about an hour away from me and I do a stock up from there about twice a year.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

isha wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:42 pm https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/moong-dal-recipe/

I made the above Moong Dal for dinner plus wholegrain Basmati, natural yoghurt, and Pataks aubergine pickle, which is the best pickle ever. The Dal has a really authentic flavour. Even if you don't have everything, it still tastes good, you can leave out curry leaves for example. I substituted ground cumin for cumin seeds and added later than the recipe. Plus I added ground coriander because I love it. The tempering of the Dal with the fried garlic, chili and mustard seeds is what makes it. You can use half olive oil, half butter if you don't have ghee. In other words, you can make up your own version. I will be making this often from now on as I love it!

Edit oh yeah I also just boiled in a pot, not pressure cooker. You have to add water as it goes along as it really absorbs it
Think I might give that a try! My usual go-to for non-meat days is this one from BBC good food, but I need to switch things up a bit:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/yel ... auliflower
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Finally I got around to trying out these cauliflower steaks that I've been hearing about for ages. Cut a couple of inch thick slices, oiled both sides, gave it about a half hour+ in high enough temperature, turning over half way. Then took out and put a mix I made up of fried onions, plus a small bit of early chard chopped up, plus dill and parsley, plus smoked paprika, garlic granules and salt, all cooked up. Then I added a good whack of feta to that mix. Topped the roasted steaks with that, then put grated mature cheddar on top of all, back in the oven for about 15 minutes.
I'll be doing it again - delicious!!! The husband just returned for second helpings. He'll be farting all day tomorrow at work. I'm okay cos I'm working from home tomorrow 😛
Had it with cold chilli salmon and homemade guacamole.