Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What *am I having* for dinner tonight?

CelticRambler
Verified Username

What *am I having* for dinner tonight?

Post by CelticRambler »

The fridge is empty; there's plenty of meat in the freezer, but it's already after four (where I live) so no chance of it being defrosted naturally. I have red potatoes, yellow potatoes, more yellow potatoes, green beans (had them last night, and the night before, and the night before that, and the night before that again ... ), onions, and there are carrots in the garden. And one red tomato.

Struggling for inspiration, but hoping to avoid settling for a bowl of porridge at 10pm because I couldn't get anything organised before then! :(
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: What *am I having* for dinner tonight?

Post by CelticRambler »

Ah! You've just reminded me - the fridge is not empty - there's a saucepan in there with the left-over mash'n'onion from last night!

There were some lizard eggs in the garden the other day, wonder if they're still there? Hen's eggs ... could be harder to find, coz I think I ate the last of them a few nights ago. Out of fresh milk too. :cry:

Feckit, think I'm going to have to go shopping during the week. Better start looking for the car keys. :roll:

Post by 765489 »

Don't think I had a dinner today.

Morning - Slice of apple tart and two cups of coffee.

2pm - two burgers, two glasses of my wadi orange and two cups of coffee.

5pm - 2 cups off coffee.

8pm - 2 cups of coffee, sandwich with tomatoes, cheese, coleslaw and salad cream. An small carton of Avonmore vegetable soup and another cup of coffee.

There's a packet of giant buttons on the table here so will probably have them scoffed before the night is out.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I'm on an economy drive as I keep spending all my money on art - so today was poached eggs, baked beans, and scones. For desert scones with jam. Healthy, healthy, healthy but at least I have a the weekend takeaway to look forward to from my favourite Italian chipper - chicken burger and chips with lashings of salt 'n' vinegar.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another lazy effort but I've been flat out with physical work for a third day in a row which is unusual for me these days.
Locally made pie purchased from the butcher (as were the beans) and desert (from EuroGiant) to be washed down with organic Clipper tea.
Still 30 minutes to go and I'm starving!
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:59 pm Still 30 minutes to go and I'm starving!
30 minutes till dinner? Irish time? I've only just finished my afternoon snack! :lol:

With only a few quick runs to the garden to top up my Vitamin D, I'm forcing myself to stay inside today and finish this bloody presentation I've been working on since the weekend ... so have had loads of time to think about dinner. Not very exciting though - fried mash potato and eggs (found a couple in a box behind the chip-pan)

Oh, and a big bowl of fresh strawberries for dessert - picked this afternoon during one of my Vitamin D sessions. :D
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

pork chops, grilled
mash spuds, carrots, broc
onion gravy

very nice
Hold The Door
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:46 pm pork chops, grilled
mash spuds, carrots, broc
onion gravy

very nice
Sounds like a proper dinner!
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Oh yeah - I have left-over carrots and celery (100% home-grown organic) from yesterday too.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:51 pm Sounds like a proper dinner!
haha that's what we call it in this house!
Hold The Door
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:43 pm haha that's what we call it in this house!
Same here. The ordinary people of Ireland who eat their dinner in the middle of the day :lol:
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

wow its after midnight and just finished my dinner - yikes.. never had dinner this late before (chips after a club doesn't count).. was on the rd all day and didn't get back till late.. didn't even have an appetite for it but I twud feel weird to not have a dinner :?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Thanks BettyBee for bumping this thread - gives me a chance to start thinking about tonight's dinner while I'm still having my breakfast. :D
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

We do a weekly meal plan (mon-fri) every week before the shopping is done, so I can tell you what we'll be having every day.

It keeps waste to a minimum and you can see the fridge and larder depleting as the week goes on

We have a few staples, and a couple of the days we have what we call "quick dinner" because there's only a small window between the child getting back from school and then having to go out to one of his various evening activities.

Once a week me and my kid head in to my mother's house for dinner too.
Hold The Door
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I used to do the same when I was a full time child minder. Now that it's just me and the frogs, lizards and spiders, though, I spend more time watching them have their dinner than thinking about my own!

Very little waste here, as just about all the veg is on a "garden-to-gobble" basis, and surplus gets diverted into long-term storage as soon and as much as possible. But that in itself can be a problem (for me) - when you've spent four hours or more processing food for the winter, it's hard to work up an appetite for yet more cooking for the right now. And then all that food is in the freezer, not the fridge, so still needs some advance planning to be useful.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

I like doing it as it avoids the "what will we have tonight" conversations.

We do that at the weekends, and usually do a meal that takes a bit longer to prepare (slow cooked curry, or a roast joint)
Hold The Door
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:31 am I like doing it as it avoids the "what will we have tonight" conversations.
Gerroff this thread, ya heretic! :P :twisted: :mrgreen:
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Haha!
Hold The Door
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Twirly pasta with Ballymaloe Spicy sauce and Clonakilty sausages - not a frankfurter to be had in Dunnes this morning. Such a rare delicacy I suppose it's down to Brexit that they can't stock them. I normally don't buy mass produced sausages but I hadn't time to go to the butchers today.

Anyway, a little indulgence tonight for an after dinner treat - further picture to follow.

'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Gratinée dauphinoise (leftovers) + either salad leaves (no cooking involved) or green beans (if I have time to prepare a job-lot for the freezer) + some kind of dead animal (yet to be decided/defrosted)

Thanks, Del.Monte - have to eat early this evening, so appreciate the prompt! :cool:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:13 am Gratinée dauphinoise (leftovers) + either salad leaves (no cooking involved) or green beans (if I have time to prepare a job-lot for the freezer) + some kind of dead animal (yet to be decided/defrosted)

Thanks, Del.Monte - have to eat early this evening, so appreciate the prompt! :cool:
Roadkill? Given that you're in France you've probably gone native and anything is fair game... :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Last night I had a massive IBS flare up, my own fault for eating high fibre food full of onion and garlic, still in some discomfort now (pain most of the night) .

So what my wife was cooking is completely off the menu for me and instead she is making me a Cottage Pie with just the green part of scallions instead of onions.

Its back on the full low FODMAP diet for me for a while.

Post by 490808 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:07 am Twirly pasta with Ballymaloe Spicy sauce and Clonakilty sausages - not a frankfurter to be had in Dunnes this morning. Such a rare delicacy I suppose it's down to Brexit that they can't stock them. I normally don't buy mass produced sausages but I hadn't time to go to the butchers today.

Anyway, a little indulgence tonight for an after dinner treat - further picture to follow.

Thats just WRONG!

I'll correct it for you

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:34 am Roadkill? Given that you're in France you've probably gone native and anything is fair game... :mrgreen:
If it saves it from going to waste ... :lol:

But no: have decided instead to follow your example and opt for chopped-up dead pig, re-shaped into chipolatas.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The finished result - Pear Crumble - a quicker dish than apple when you're in a hurry and after all it's all about the crumble not the contents. The two tins were from my Zombie Apocalypse store and needed rotating anyway - what better way.

'no more blah blah blah'