Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What *am I having* for dinner tonight?

Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Re: What *am I having* for dinner tonight?

Post by Hodors Appletart »

Mango Chicken

Kind of a satay sauce (coconut milk, peanut butter, mango chutney, soy sauce and chillis) with mango chunks and chicken chopped up, all in the oven for 45mins or so, served over rice.
Hold The Door
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Just put a shepherd's/cottage/not-really pie in the oven. About 10% minced beef, 90% garden veg - peas, beans (two varieties), carrots, onions, garlic, gherkins, beetroot and (of course) potato.

Ah feck. Just writing that reminds me that I forgot to put rosemary into the mix. :x Have to count on the fresh thyme, parsley and oregano to give it flavour (plus the non-home-grown ingredients salt, pepper, paprika and red wine).

Double feck - forgot to put a bit of celery into it too. :x :x

This is what happens when you leave the recipe book in the press and do it all from memory. :D
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I had scrambled egg and some left over sausages - still hungry! The egg took forever as I deliberately cooked it over a very low heat so that it had the consistency of custard - a trial run for a dish that was to be tomorrow but deferred now as I can't face scrambled egg like that again for a while.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:35 pm... deferred now as I can't face scrambled egg like that again for a while.
:lol:

Happens to me when I've spent two hours blanching veg for freezing! They become fast-food dinner days. :lol:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

For the evening that's in it and for tomorrow as I won't have time to cook - sausage stew and dumplings.

Sausages, back rashers cut up small, potatoes, carrots, couple of garlic cloves, half an onion, assorted spices, drop of milk and a pint and half of leek and potato soup - plus vegetable suet dumplings. 3-4 days eating with fresh dumplings added each reheating and tomatoes to be added tomorrow.

'no more blah blah blah'
Frank

Post by Frank »

I had the savoury mince I made for yesterday before I took a notion and ordered a kebab. Steamed a couple of new roosters to go with it.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Back to Cottage Pie and beans again tonight - just posting while I wait for it to cool down a little. Nothing but a couple of choccie biccies and coffee all day.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Variation on Cottage Pie tonight - Cheesy Salmon Pie. I've been getting a bit bored with my diet recently and the need to experiment came on strong the last few days. I have loads of tinned salmon in my Zombie Apocalypse store and I needed some comfort food so I thought why not some sort of tinned salmon pie?

A quick online search produced a John West recipe for same https://www.john-west.ie/recipes/hearty ... otato-pie/ and while sticking with the basic ingredients (although not using John West salmon) I knocked up a decent enough pie this evening. The recipe must have been intended for someone with the appetite of a sparrow though - just one tin of salmon and 400g of potato - in a one litre pie dish! Anyway, I upped the dosage and the result turned out well. Would serve 2/3 people and as I'm on my own at the moment - no cooking tomorrow. :D

'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Looks delicious, I'm impressed.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Had rib eye steak on the bone, reversed sear and finish off on the bbq.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Never saw the attraction in salmon. I was reared on a fish dominated diet, meat was too expensive. I love sea fish, cod, whiting, haddock, hake etc. but salmon never did it for me. Granted we would only have had tinned salmon on sandwiches, maybe it tastes different when it's heated, but always seemed a bit bland.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Speaking of cod, the odd time I do eat fish, usually cod. Was baking it before but discovered this really handy recipe that's yummy and all you need is some potatoes with it.

Couple of dashes of olive oil. Fry an onion.
Add tin of good chopped tomatoes.
Add teaspoon of brown sugar, about a half teaspoon dried thyme, bit over a teaspoon of dark soya sauce, and let it boil together for a few minutes. Adjust the above additions to your taste, by the way.
Add piece of cod loin. (For two).
Lid on your pan, and cook for the five or ten minutes it takes for the fish to be done, depending on size of fish. So handy.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Bones! I'm scared of bones in my fish and consequently rarely eat anything that doesn't come in a tin except for smoked salmon.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:38 pm Bones! I'm scared of bones in my fish and consequently rarely eat anything that doesn't come in a tin except for smoked salmon.
Never had tinned salmon that didn't have bones in it.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Isha that is a good recipe for fish, good for easy cooking on hob and also for single portion. I have done it that way too and bonus is nice sauce for otherwise bland fish. Other half will only have Donegal in a coating but I am gluten free so often semi wrap salmon in foil, skin side up and bake.

Dinner tonight might be a Dr Oekter gluten free pizza with extra toppings... just discovered them and passable quality as lot of nasty ones about.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Im having minestrone soup - absolute perfection on a freezing cold night!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

marhay70 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:55 pm Never had tinned salmon that didn't have bones in it.
Soft and crumbly - no threat but they were taken out for my pie as I don't like them.
'no more blah blah blah'
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Shoulder of lamb slow cooked, red wine jus, baby potatoes and veg.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:31 pm Im having minestrone soup - absolute perfection on a freezing cold night!!!!
If I was forced to choose one meal that I would have to eat for the rest of my life it would be minestrone. Have just made a cauldron of it 🙂.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
KHD

Post by KHD »

A ready made Superquinn dinner consisting of some sort of bacon and veg, they are stingy on the portions compared to Dunnes, I had to bulk it out with coleslaw. Good job I bought a box of mince pies otherwise I'd be fading away here.

I'm half way through this and it has me thinking I really do lead a miserable existence. :mrgreen:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I was just on my way out the door to buy some more "Mr.Kipling", exceedingly cheap and full of chemicals, mince pies but it's chucking it down....I only buy good quality ones from the bakery when my kids are here over Christmas.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Dunno what I'm having tonight, but I've been told it's going to cost me about 30€. :shock: Am visiting a friend, whose idea of "catering" is to take me to a truck-stop café and go halves.

30€ is a week's worth of proper dinners. :evil:

I'll let him away with it, coz he's gifted me about 150 terracotta flowerpots, and definitively resolved my wall-hung toilet question.
KHD

Post by KHD »

30 quid for food out of a chuck wagon ?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Exactly. :(
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Slightly better than expected in the end. The 32€ was for two dinners - starter, main, dessert, a carafe of decent wine and (tiddly cups of) coffee. Portion sizes were reasonable, although the "salad" accompaniment to the meat in the main course was literally one leaf of lettuce and a small wedge of tomato.

En route, YerMan paid for a fresh bottle of propane for me (he was getting two of his own) so I'm actually 14€ up after all.

And it looks like the going rate for those pots is 3-8€ a piece, so that's ... 150-200€'s worth if I don't smash too many on the way home. :shock: