Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

I hate Supermarket Shopping

Del.Monte
Verified Username

I hate Supermarket Shopping

Post by Del.Monte »

I hate food shopping, especially in supermarkets and tired of paying too much for my groceries so today I thought I do a big (by my standards) shop in Dunnes. I rarely shop in Dunnes (€2 voucher in my ValueClub mailing says it all) but I have been considering their offer of €10 off when you spend €40 - seemed like FREE money.

I set out list in hand with everything grouped by location within the store (but not by price) and with the €40 limit in mind. However, I soon lost the total in my head as the basket began to fill up and when I reached the checkout the total was €55 instead of €40 so intent was I on reaching the latter figure. Okay, so I still got to use my €10 voucher but I had spent €15 more than I had intended and Margaret Heffernan wins again. Back to the drawing board ....but at least I won't have to visit the wretched place for a few weeks now. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: I hate Supermarket Shopping

Post by CelticRambler »

There's a knack to it! :lol:

Not one that my mother subscribes to, though. Which is a bit bizzare, because she's a real wiz with mental arithmetic, and even now in her 80s can do currency conversions in her head faster than any of her grandchildren can boot up the currency conversion apps on their phones. But the last time I accompanied her to Dunnes on a 10€ off every 50€, she stopped shopping at 87€. "Ah, Mam, would you not buy something else??? You're always buying stuff you don't need, and you'll be back in the shops tomorrow." But no, she'd decided she'd had enough and was going home. Dunnes won that round. :cry:

My local supermarket is a bit stingy, but they usually celebrate their own birthday with a 15€ off 100€ offer, which I take careful advantage of. It's tricky, as they're not great at making sure the prices displayed are the same as the prices charged, and they've only price up loose veg at the till. But I did once manage to get my bill to 100.17€ :geek: That was a great day! :mrgreen:
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:27 am ....but at least I won't have to visit the wretched place for a few weeks now. :mrgreen:
Wow, I'm impressed that €55 of shopping would stretch that far! That would be eaten in 2 days in this household :P
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Tesco online FTW.

Did our shopping last night in 10 mins. Will collect on my way home this evening. €254 inc alcohol (2 adults, 2 teens).

The wife can do it in 3 mins.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Scotty wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:03 pm Tesco online FTW.

Did our shopping last night in 10 mins. Will collect on my way home this evening. €254 inc alcohol (2 adults, 2 teens).

The wife can do it in 3 mins.
Used to do my shopping with Tesco online at the height of the pandemic and found the service excellent. I used the delivery service and the times were usually spot on, the drivers were helpful and obliging but the one thing that let it down IMO, was choice. There was never a full complement of stock online and even stuff included in your order was not always available on delivery day, this was a PITA as it might contain stuff like the Sunday joint.
At least when you go to the local supermarket you can see at a glance what is and isn't available and can get it elsewhere.
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Hate it too! First you wander around loading stuff into trolley, then unpack on belt, then back into trolley or bags, then unpack at home and put away. That's 4 times to move everything from one location to another!
I do try and buy in fruit and veg shop locally as well as supermarket but with the kids here we seem to be always shopping.

Post by 490808 »

My wife did the shopping today - mostly supermarkets (normally Lidl but sometimes Aldi with a bit of Dunnes) and as usual she complained vehemently about having to do it and complained again about having to unpack it all. No change there its the same every week. I gave up asking if I could help long ago because I can't unpack I put everything in the wrong place and I take too long to do the shopping, can't plan meals and don't get the right things. The fact that I I used to do all the shopping for 20 years doesn't come into it.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Well ... looks like I'm in the minority here. :lol: I do like doing the grocery shopping. Not weekly (and definitely not three-times-weekly like MammyRambler :lol: ) because that's just a waste of time, but I much prefer going to the supermarket myself than have some stranger pick and pack things for me. Apart from it being a change of scene, I find it much more economical. Yes, I go with a list of "must-gets" and feel a bit cheesed off if something's out of stock; but at least then I have the choice of buying an alternative product or leaving it for another time. Sometimes there'll be promotions on products that I'm not yet out of stock myself but are worth buying sooner at this lower price rather than later at the usual price; and occasionally there'll be some good "Best Before" bargains in the range of perishables that I can put in the freezer, or otherwise make good use of.

When I'm travelling, too, I make a point of visiting supermarkets - it's a great way to get an insight into local habits, preferences, customs and behaviour ... and a darn sight cheaper than buying all your calories at food trucks and in restaurants. :D

Post by 765489 »

I like doing online shopping. Can relax and take my time... find when I'm in the supermarket I miss things. Only things I won't buy online is fruit, meat and vegetables...

One of the other reasons I like to shop online is if you get to know the driver he'll give you a couple of boxes which are handy for storing things :)
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

I love supermarket shopping, look forward to it and browse at my leisure.
I even watch other people doing supermarket hauls on YouTube.
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:54 pm I love supermarket shopping, look forward to it and browse at my leisure.
I even watch other people doing supermarket hauls on YouTube.
Now your just plain weird :lol:
JONJO THE MISER

Clurickeen wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:19 pm Now your just plain weird :lol:
It actually has a massive following on YouTube, they call it supermarket hauls, didn't know it existed until last year now I love em :oops:
JONJO THE MISER

Was in Dunnes this evening and saw a new cola organic cola drink for 4 euro in a glass bottle.
Going splurge and try it next week, called fentimans, anyone tried it?
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

hate it also.. parking, shopping, queueing, unpacking.. oh - there is one thing i like - when you meet a nice staff member at the checkouts.. dunno why I hate it so much - mayb the monotony of it.. I could supermarket shop with my eyes closed (when in my local TS store).. but I love going to the fresh Market (blessed to have The English Market here in Cork City).. great atmosphere.. full of character.. and fab produce.. maybe thats why I hate the supermarket - it lacks character - feels contrived..
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:28 am Was in Dunnes this evening and saw a new cola organic cola drink for 4 euro in a glass bottle.
Going splurge and try it next week, called fentimans, anyone tried it?
Fentimans ginger beer is one of the best on the market but their cola is rubbish in my opinion. Don't bother looking for their ginger beer in Dunnes though.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

BettyBee wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:59 amoh - there is one thing i like - when you meet a nice staff member at the checkouts.
Oh, it's not all bad! I was treated to a delightful bit of theatre at Lidl yesterday. Large gentleman of the Britannic persuasion in front of me at the check-out tried to use contactless payment to settle up. Card refused.

"Ca n'est pas passé, Monsieur," said the hôtesse
"It has to work - it's a brand new card," said Monsieur l'Anglais. Tried again, refused again. "Bloody hell, it must be your machine. It's a brand new card."
"Désolé, Monsieur, mais elle ne passe pas en sans-contact. Essayez avec votre code."

Monsieur l'Anglais tries contactless again, and yet again, repeating more loudly each time that there can't be any problem, because it's a new card. Probably getting on for five minutes of this now, and not a word of French has passed his lips (nor, for that matter, has a word of English passed the lips of the check-out girl, but then she's on her home turf)

A Lidl colleague arrives
"Qu'est qui se passe?" she asks.
Monsieur l'Anglais explains "There can't be any problem with the account - it's a brand new card!"
"Ah, d'accord. Si c'est un New Card il faut tapper le code, Monsieur."
"But it's a brand new card," insists Monsieur.
"Oui, Monsieur, c'est parce que c'est un New Card qu'il vous faut tappez le code."
Monsieur tries contactless one more time. :roll:
"Non, Monsieur, mettez-la dans la machine et tapper le code."

Monsieur finally consents to a chip-and-pin transaction, which is approved in a flash. He removes his card and (I think) squeezed out a begrudging "murrsy" as he took his receipt.

The Lidl colleague heads back into the aisles, apologising as she passes the queue for "les conneries des Anglais." :lol:

Post by 490808 »

That reminds me of a card problem I had in the UK last month. When I'm over there I regularly use a bakery that is well known for its Cornish Pasties.

I'd been in two or three time earlier in the week and my card had work perfectly for contactless payment.

This time it didn't work at all.

The guy at the till reset the transaction 3 times before I plugged the card it but still nothing.

The problem - two cordless card machines one for each till and the guy serving had picked up the wrong one.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

So, another weekly supermarket shop just completed! Left the house at 8.55am and back by 9.20am with everything unpacked - and I was on foot! However, I had a disturbing incident - being paranoid as I am, I never leave home without a face mask, never forget to put it on when entering a shop but there I was in the middle of Dunne's and I suddenly had a Garden of Eden moment. I was naked!! Being fairly quiet at this time on a Sunday morning nobody had said anything and the sudden realisation just popped into my head. I reached into my pocket and there was the mask - properly dressed I headed for the checkout hoping that nobody had noticed my gaff. What caused it though, advancing senile decay, virus fatigue or just too early on a Sunday morning? :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Sounds like you've just lived a Sunday Miscellany moment! :lol:
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I do mine every Saturday morning. The trick is to go in early - my local Dunnes opens at 8.00am. It's far less stressful & they haven't run out of fresh loaves at that point. I'm good at mental arithmetic so have the trolley contents totted up so as to get maximum value from the €10 off with every €50 voucher. I check out the website before I go in to see what's on offer. Don't believe in buying stuff for the sake of it but will stock up on essentials that we do use (particularly long-shelf life or toiletries) when the opportunity arises.

Post by 95438756 »

My local Tesco, a large one, suffers from being being the venue of a fee paying girls' school social club after the school day has ended.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

gugleguy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:28 am My local Tesco, a large one, suffers from being being the venue of a fee paying girls' school social club after the school day has ended.
You mean the ones who pronounce "oh" as "ow" and "round" as "rind", those usually found on the mean streets of "Glenageawy" and "Killoiney"?
I must say I'm surprised to hear they mingle with the hoi polloi in a supermarket, I wonder do their mothers know.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

As of last week, I'll be aiming for as close to a round 10€ as possible. Our local supermarket is selling Royal VKB fridge/freezer/oven food containers for 1€+20 stickers (or more for the bigger ones), 1 sticker per 10€. Due to a subtle shift in food-prep and eating habits, I need a lot more of those, so it comes at a good time.

In the past, these kinds of promos were run with hard-copy stickers, and you could sometimes persuade the checkout gir... person :P to add an extra one (or more) if you'd spent 49.85, or even 45.85 ... but now they're virtual stickers credited to your loyalty card, and the computer is unpersuadable. :evil:

Which means I'll be making even fewer trips than usual, and probably doing all my Christmas shopping in October rather than December. Not going to let the barstewards diddle me out a quarter of a sticker on each pass through the till. :twisted:
Frank

Post by Frank »

I used to love doing the weekly shop, always first thing on a Saturday morning. Stopped during the lockdowns and have no desire to go back near it now.
Kaiser
Verified Username

Post by Kaiser »

Hate supermarket shopping as well - trying to get a decent parking spot that won't have someone put a trolley dent (or worse) in one of the doors, the aimless souls dawdling down the aisles and getting in the way, the fact that there's never enough checkouts open (Dunnes) and then having to pack it all up only to unpack at home 10 mins later.

I tried Tesco online before but as someone said above, it's a pain when you're left short when the stuff actually arrives. I don't bother with Lidl or Aldi (I just don't like the stuff and always ended up throwing half of it out anyway).

So what I do now is I go in first thing Saturday or Sunday morning when it's quiet and get in and out with enough for the week.