Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Ginger Beer

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Ginger Beer

Post by Del.Monte »

Having grown up on Enid Blyton's 'Famous Five' stories where lashings of Ginger beer were part of every picnic it's hardly surprising that I'm a big fan of the brew. That said, not a drop passed my lips until I was thirty-eight years old - probably due the scarcity of what is a quintessentially British beverage in Irish shops. However, a chance find of Fentimans botanically brewed ginger beer in a Sligo delicatessen in 1997 and I was hooked!

Since then I have tried every type of ginger beer that I can find, even going to the trouble of getting my local health food shop to specially import various ones for me. Fentimans still remains my firm favourite with its kick in the tail and Belvoir Organic is another mighty one with a nice after-burn. In desperation I have even resorted to various tinned ones some of which are featured here but they are generally just sugary drinks and don't fit the bill. Against my better judgement I even tried Crabbie's - an alcoholic (!) ginger beer - which misses the point that the drink is supposed to be a refreshing non-alcoholic drink for all the family. It was awful anyway

The cost of ordering-in ginger beer specially for myself is a frivolous expense that I have now stopped and my thoughts have turned to having a go at brewing my own. Past experiences with home brewing linger in mind and so I haven't ventured down that road - yet!

Anybody else infatuated with ginger beer, tried making their own or have any recommendations?
'no more blah blah blah'
Crusty Burke

Re: Ginger Beer

Post by Crusty Burke »

Since I live in England, Ginger Beer is very easy to get; Old Jamaica is my favourite though Fentimans is excellent too. Ginger Ale just doesn't cut it as a replacement!
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

Fellow fan of ginger beer, though I've not indulged much the past few years. Fentimans was an easy tipple, but I need to refresh myself on a few over the coming months.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

Love the Old Jamaica, and I make a mean Dark n Stormy with it and Sea Dog rum
Hold The Door
RTrew

-

Post by RTrew »

Not red as in thats what they call it as the way its brewed. I mean mixing tomato juice with beer.

Up nort here its quite popular. I have two different ways to drink "red beer," one is with V8 spicy hot and the other is with Clamato juice... love it... very tasty stuff.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I shared a bottle of Fentiman's Ginger Beer with me old Ma on a picnic recently and she is won over!
I don't do fizzy drinks much, but the odd bottle of Fentiman's is nice, no doubt.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It's the after-burn that does it for me.
'no more blah blah blah'