Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Bits (or lack thereof) in Club soft drinks/minerals nowadays.

Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

Bits (or lack thereof) in Club soft drinks/minerals nowadays.

Post by Mr Daniel F. O'Leary »

Recently enough, I had a Club Rock Shandy Zero and while I liked the taste, something felt off.

I remember Club having more bits and pulp years ago, but it feels like it's been reduced significantly?

Does anyone else agree? Or is this something that only affects the Zero varieties?
dawg

Re: Bits (or lack thereof) in Club soft drinks/minerals nowadays.

Post by dawg »

Its probably over 50 years since I had a Club Orange. Back then there were lots and lots of orange bits in each bottle. It was what made it Special :D. Sometimes there would be no flow out of a bottle due to the bits having formed a 'plug' at the neck.

Was the Club Orange manufacturer taken over ?

I hope its not going to be like what Mondelez did to Cadbury when they got their mits on that firm.
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

Post by Mr Daniel F. O'Leary »

dawg wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:20 pm
Was the Club Orange manufacturer taken over ?
It used to be made by C&C, but now it is Britvic that make it now. However, I remember it still having bits in it after the takeover, so it's probably more recent than that.

Post by 490808 »

But were those bits actual real bits of Orange?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I've put in a request for a few bottles of Club Lemon to be brought over by a family member at the end of the month; I'll let ye know then. Aren't the bits one of Club's selling points?
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

The same thing is happening with marmalade. The supermarkets are being swamped with wimpy peelless marmalade. To my mind there is no greater treat than to bite into hot toast smothered in butter and the coarsest cut marmalade that can be found and I warn the purveyors of this gutless jelly that I will seek them out and deal with them.
dawg

Post by dawg »

The Continental Op wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:33 pm But were those bits actual real bits of Orange?
Oh Yes !

( at least there were 'in my day'....what else could they have been back then ? )_
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I worked around the corner from C&C in the 1970s and 80s and their plant fitters used to come into us for spare parts. They would regularly bring in bottles of Club Lemon and Club Orange, as did their counterparts in Coca Cola, so we were always well stocked with soft drinks. I can confirm that neither Club nor Coca Cola is up to the same standard today as at that time. The bits in Club were bits of flesh and pith from the oranges and lemons, along with, as one of the fitters told us, the odd finger.