Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Gas hob too much flame

Frank

Gas hob too much flame

Post by Frank »

I’m having trouble with my cooker that none of the gas rings go low enough to do a slow simmer, even the little tiny one. Is there such a thing you can get that sits on it to work around this, basically something that holds the pot a bit higher above the flame?
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Gas hob too much flame

Post by kadman »

Has it always worked in this fashion
Frank

Post by Frank »

Yep, it’s just annoying me more now because I’m cooking more things that require that method. The flame isn’t mad high or anything, just that little bit too much where it boils rather than simmers.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Oh, i thought it might be a new cooker that was suitable for Natural Gas and maybe you were running liquid bottle gas in it. This would definitely make a difference.
It is possible to lower the gas pressure at each ring, but that calls for a registered gas installer to do that for you, its illegal for a diy'er
Frank

Post by Frank »

Sorry yeah I meant to mention it’s on a butane bottle. I might look into getting that done though if there isn’t some sort of diffuser/spacer type thing thanks. I had wondered about fitting an in-line regulator on the line from the bottle outside (reducing the whole lot a touch) but not sure if that’s allowed or not either so didn’t chance getting one.

Post by 490808 »

Sometimes an easy fix. There may (normally in my experience) be an adjuster built into the control for each burner.

Pull the knob off one and look down inside the spindle. If the spindle is hollow with a screw at the bottom then your in luck.

Light the burner turn it to the lowest setting then turn the screw with a very small screwdriver until you get the right flame you want for the lowest setting.

I've fitted a couple of hobs run off bottled gas and because they can be run on propane, butane or natural gas (requires change of jets) then they have to have that adjustment to get them to simmer (lowest flame) with different gas types.

The other issue might be that you may be burning butane on a hob set up for natural gas.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If its already running on bottle gas, then its adjusters are already turned all the way in. And it wont cost the earth to get a RGI installer to check it, and stamp it for you.

Its like messing about with your own esb supply, its dangerous and illegal, thats all I am saying on it.
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-S ... C51&sr=8-7

We had one of these years ago - it did the job.
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CuisleBeat wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:55 pm https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-S ... C51&sr=8-7

We had one of these years ago - it did the job.
That looks like a great solution :)
Frank

Post by Frank »

That looks the business thanks a million. Now that I think back I vaguely recall the wife getting me one of those before with a mokka pot but I never opened it as the pot worked on the hon. Completely forgot I had it but that’s jogged my memory if I could find it, but going to order that one anyway.

Post by 490808 »

Just adjust it. The only difficult part is finding a long thin screwdriver suitable for the job.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:45 pm Just adjust it. The only difficult part is finding a long thin screwdriver suitable for the job.
Thing is , he is adjusting a cooker that he doesn't know whether it was originally jetted for natural gas, or lpg.

It could be a natural gas jetted cooker thats been inadvertantly used for lpg, in which case it might work but with aggressive flame at the jets.

I think he is doing the right thing, by not tampering with it for his own peace of mind.

Post by 490808 »

Think there would be more complaints other than bad simmering if it did have natural gas jets in it. The first thing you notice is your pots get soot all over the bases and a yellow flame.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:35 pm Think there would be more complaints other than bad simmering if it did have natural gas jets in it. The first thing you notice is your pots get soot all over the bases and a yellow flame.
THats true, plus flames like they shot out of a flame thrower. But we dont know if there are any other issues from the posts so far ;) .
And i wont be advising him to mess with adjusters on the valves, as he is clearly not familiar with it, and dare I say it, its illegal to do so, and advise anyone of the same, he needs to contact RGI if its a problem for him. And I dont want to see GUbU being responsible for allowing illegal advise to be posted, and them becoming liable for anything. Probably best to contact RGI

Post by 490808 »

Its there in the manual for anyone that buys a gas hob.
Frank

Post by Frank »

This looks to have a very normal blue flame and no other issues with it, to look at it you wouldn’t think it was too high at all but everything is very vigorous on it when cooking even when very low. No black marks on pots or anything.
I went to have a look at the adjusters as I’d definitely have screwdrivers that would fit most things but it didn’t want to lift for me so I wouldn’t force it in case broke anything.

I’m not 100% sure on the model but it’s a double Bellling with electric ovens and gas hobs. Yellow bottle.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:30 pm Its there in the manual for anyone that buys a gas hob.
The op's first post said a cooker. And its there in the manual too, about the conversion and setting details of the cooker.
That information is for the registered installer, not the purchaser.
installation
Warning
■ This appliance must be installed in
accordance with regulations in force
and only used in a well ventilated

space.
■ Prior to installation, ensure that the
gas and electrical supply complies

with the type stated on the rating

plate.
■ Where this appliance is installed in a
boat or in caravans, it should not be
used as a space heater.
■ The gas pipe and electrical cable
must be installed in such a way that

they do not touch any parts or the

appliance.
This appliance should be installed by a qualified technician or installer.
■ The adjustment conditions for this appliance are stated on the label or data plate.
■ Remove all packaging before using the appliance.

■ After unpacking the appliance, make sure the product is not damaged and that
the electical cable is in perfect condition. Otherwise, contact the dealer before
installing the appliance.
■ The adjacent furniture and all materials used in the installation must be able to
withstand a minimum temperature of 85 ̊C above the ambient temperature of the
room it is located in, whilst in use.
■ In the event of burner flames being accidentally extinguished, turn off the burner
control and do not attempt to re-ignite the burner for at least one minute.
■ The use of a gas cooking appliance results in the production of heat and moisture in the

room in which it is installed. Ensure that the kitchen is well ventilated: keep natural

ventilation holes open or install a mechanical ventilation device (mechanical extractor hood).
■ Prolonged intensive use of the appliance may call for additional ventilation, for
example opening of a window, or more effective ventilation, for example increasing

the level of mechanical ventilation where present

Post by 490808 »

The OP knows what to do now up to them if they pursue it. If the knob doesn't come off fairly easily there may not be a simple adjuster, although the couple of Belling manuals I've just looked at showed one. I did noticed on one that the bypass screw is to the side of the adjustment spindle and not inside it on on at least one model.

I don't see adjusting the bypass valve as any different from turning the gas on and deciding which heat setting you want because all it is is a fine control over the lowest heat setting.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

kadman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:51 pm THats true, plus flames like they shot out of a flame thrower. But we dont know if there are any other issues from the posts so far ;) .
And i wont be advising him to mess with adjusters on the valves, as he is clearly not familiar with it, and dare I say it, its illegal to do so, and advise anyone of the same, he needs to contact RGI if its a problem for him. And I dont want to see GUbU being responsible for allowing illegal advise to be posted, and them becoming liable for anything. Probably best to contact RGI
Adjust your own cooker at your own risk!
dawg

Post by dawg »

Guburnor wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:09 pm Adjust your own cooker at your own risk!
+1

I would wonder if that cooker was set up for natural gas and you are using bottled gas ( or vice versa )
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

As you say, its the op's call, I just thought I would mention the legality's of messing with a gas installation, no matter how small, its best left to the professionals, as the op clearly is not familiar with pressure valves , by pass valves, lpg and ng pressure requirements, leak testing and the like, whether its a one screw or double screw adjustment.

I see it as being different from turning on the gas knob and igniting the gas. You are changing the fundamental pressure settings at a valve, which are different for lpg and ng. But anyway its the op's decision as you say, but my advice comes from a registered gas engineer, but thats me done, play safe :)
Frank

Post by Frank »

I seen the screw head this morning after I got one of the knobs off it but didn't adjust it as it was in the house when I moved in and I'm not sure what gas it's set up for, though there's never been natural gas in the area or will there ever likely be. I don't think I'd get a gas installer out for something like that though either so I'm happy to use the diffuser plate from Amazon to accomplish what I need. Thanks all for the help with it.