Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

I wish I'd kept my Deau

Two wheelers
NickNickleby
Verified Username

I wish I'd kept my Deau

Post by NickNickleby »

A year ago I gave my 03 Deau to a young relation. I hadn't used it much in the previous few years. But at least it was sitting there, rotting away, available for the rare spin should the fancy take me.

In the last fortnight I've been hankering for a spin. I suspect it's some sort of subconscious desire for a quick getaway. Mrs N keeps hinting about her retiring next year. :lol: :lol: :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Re: I wish I'd kept my Deau

Post by kadman »

Pictures.... :D
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

Les-Dawson.jpg
Les-Dawson.jpg (89.95 KiB) Viewed 3459 times
A wonderful woman. Used to carry my Deau round the back for me when I couldn't manoeuvre it past the gas meter. But she won't be happy to see me getting it back.
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

This is how bad its gotten....
Young lad wanted a 'big' bike to get the big boy licence. So, I had a fit of generosity.

So, recently I was on here and saw someone posting about a lightweight tent for biking to beauty spots. So I looked at the link, then went on Donedeal and saw Deau's (the 700 version) going at affordable prices. Then I rang the insurance, and apparently I could insure one for between 248 and 320. Of course, didn't I give away all the nearly new gear as well - HKC helmet, shiny boots and never a drop of rain textiles.

edit to clarify, my recent pangs are because....
All this because I had to get rid of my cherished Merc, and replaced it with a Toyota hybrid. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

I'm aware of the irony of a Deau fan describing some other form of transport as ... zzzzzzzzzzzz.
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

Most lads would kill for this opportunity. Buy again, but FGS buy a less boring bike.
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

SmartinMartin wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:12 pm Most lads would kill for this opportunity. Buy again, but FGS buy a less boring bike.
hahaha, still mulling this over. But..... after a year off the bike, and the joints not a supple as previously, having been tested over the course of 67 years, I think the Doh is probably the most appropriate bike for me. I once rode the same type of Beemer that your man Charlie Boorman rode on the telly, and it was exhilarating. But it was very expensive to buy, and other people told me that it was expensive to service and God help you if something fails, as parts are reputedly eye-watering.

Family member is currently trying to sell me his Harley. Ex US Cop bike, which he brought home with him. I've a bit of a paunch, but no flowing tresses (even grey ones) and no noticeable upper body muscles or tats.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

My regret is a fully faired R80 RT BWM. I’ve had a lot of bikes, from cruisers to adventure touring GS’s. The ‘80 was hands down the best of the lot. Simple, reliable, affordable. A mile-muncher. Carden drive, good power, loads of torque, SUPER fairing and krauser panniers. A cracker of a bike. Man do I miss it!
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

JayZeus wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:11 pm My regret is a fully faired R80 RT BWM. I’ve had a lot of bikes, from cruisers to adventure touring GS’s. The ‘80 was hands down the best of the lot. Simple, reliable, affordable. A mile-muncher. Carden drive, good power, loads of torque, SUPER fairing and krauser panniers. A cracker of a bike. Man do I miss it!
Have you still got a bike, or are you a true regretter like me.

Sounds to me like we may have the makings of a good ol' Country & Western song here.

"She was a cracker, I certainly missed her, when she made off with some guy called Doh!"

God I can actually hear Kenny Rogers singing it. Time to get off the drink, but that'll just lead to another Country & Western song. Thank God I've never owned a hound dog or a geetawr.

edit: I've underlined the words or part words to be emphasised when singing the first line :lol: :lol: :lol:
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

What about something like a Royal Enfield? The Himalaya is a great yoke, and the Continental is drop-dead gorgeous.
Breezin
Verified Username

Post by Breezin »

Interceptor would be closer in comfort... and with more character than a Deau.