Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Motorbike mechanic recommendation sought

Two wheelers
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Motorbike mechanic recommendation sought

Post by NickNickleby »

Greetings,

The Deau is coming home. Being a bit lazier these days, I'll require the services of a decent mechanic to replace fork seals. The tubes are good (sort of new, stainless), but the seals are leaking (not a lot, but enough to be detectable) so I'm going to assume the seals are shot because they have perished by being left sitting for the best part of two years.

I may hand over some other work, but I'm thinking of making this a bit of a project. If that happens, I'll take before and after pics and put them here. And no wise cracks about "spot the difference".

So, if anyone can recommend someone in Dublin, anywhere between the Irish sea and Finglas, and North Strand and Balbriggan. But the nearer to Artane the better, otherwise MrsN will make me use my bus pass to get home. I always feel like a fraud using it, because I'm so young looking. In my head.
Seanybiker

Re: Motorbike mechanic recommendation sought

Post by Seanybiker »

What bike you on ?
I can ask a few of the lads up your way to sort ya out if needed. Supposedly their handy to do but I never done em myself.

Look for "biker shed " and you should be able to find someone to do it or tell you how to do it no bother 👍
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Personally if i was trusting someone to work on the front wheel of my bike, from a safety point of view, a mens shed is the last place I would be going.
You need a clean workshop and the right tools to do the job. Its not like throwing a mudguard on the back of a raleigh chopper.
Get a recommended guy for the job. The only guys I know would be midlands based.
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Unwelcome development. Brought battery home and nursed it back to life. Went back, fitted battery, 3rd turn of the key ...vroom. Right we know it'll go.
Get a very unwilling Mrs N to drive me out that weekend to get it, bringing all the gear.
Check for engine start - bingo. Unpack foot pump and pressure gauge . Rotate front wheel to check pressure. Valve stem completely snapped. So , a flat tyre and no way to pump it up. Dropped wheel to garage. Need new tyre as well. €185. That recommendation was based on the fact that the tyre is exactly 8 years old. I suppose it sitting there flat probably didn't do it much good either.
Anyway, based solely on Google reviews, I'm going with Duke Motorcycles on Ossory Road.
I'll report back on my experience.
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

Whoops, in response to Seanybiker, it's an 03 Honda Deauville.
Having insured it, and considering the outlay for the tyre, I'm hoping nothing disastrous is discovered further down the road, so to speak. In the past, I have been a real sucker for the fallacy of sunk costs. Although, in recent years I've become more ruthless when it come to calling a halt.

Small edit for clarity.