Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Two wheelers
Frank

Re: General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Post by Frank »

Itineo wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:26 am Non Bikers are generally poorly aware of bikes anyway. I had to drop mine where an elderly woman pulled out in front of me with her Corsa in the main street of a Co.Limerick village without looking. I managed to stop without hitting her but had to let the bike down. Picked it up and followed her asked if she'd seen me. I may as well have been from mars. Just something we need to factor in I guess.
I’m a non biker and very aware of bikes. If I can see one at all, no matter how far it is I won’t pull out til it passes. An elderly woman in a Corsa is likely to pull out under anyone.
Itineo

Post by Itineo »

Fair play and I agree you can't tar everyone... I think the standard of driving is steadily improving overall - My daughters who passed their tests recently are alert and good drivers. I do find though that riding a bike does increase my awareness when driving a car or van. A lot of it is attitude. I'm nearly sixty and take pride in being competent.
Knucklehead6
Verified Username

Post by Knucklehead6 »

Itineo wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:09 pm Fair play and I agree you can't tar everyone... I think the standard of driving is steadily improving overall - My daughters who passed their tests recently are alert and good drivers. I do find though that riding a bike does increase my awareness when driving a car or van. A lot of it is attitude. I'm nearly sixty and take pride in being competent.
I think the more structured way of getting the car licence is playing a big part too.
CJhaughey
Verified Username

Post by CJhaughey »

I agree, the graduated licensing is making a difference.
Commuting on my Deau I had an old woman pull out to pass another car on a blind bend, big swing and I missed her but it was closer than I would like.
Always watch the wheels approaching a junction with other vehicles waiting, they will show movement long before you can detect it from the vehicle moving.
And another trick is to swing across the road, and back in a weave, that generally gets attention and makes them check themselves before pulling out.
When turning right across traffic I generally stop in the middle of the road, this halts all traffic behind and stops people from driving past your left side and clipping you.
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

Yeah, when on a straight and see a car ahead at a junction, I'll usually weave a bit. Movement increases awareness. Better safe than sorry!
Itineo

Post by Itineo »

That brought this to mind... One of Ryan F9's excellent videos.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x94PGgYKHQ0
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

When you are on a bike, its amazing you become totally invisible to other drivers.
You are only noticed by other bikers for some reason, who give you the wave or friendly nod.
CJhaughey
Verified Username

Post by CJhaughey »

Most of them, I find GS riders must be too busy controlling their ubermachines to spare a wave for the proles on lesser machinery :)
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

CJhaughey wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:05 am Most of them, I find GS riders must be too busy controlling their ubermachines to spare a wave for the proles on lesser machinery :)
To be fair, they're the gentry of the motorcycle world. High on bike, high in status.
Breezin
Verified Username

Post by Breezin »

Jimmy Bottlehead wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:46 pm To be fair, they're the gentry of the motorcycle world. High on bike, high in status.
They're the SUV drivers of the motorcycle world! :P
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Did you say high up..
Bike and sidecar, and vw engine. Doesn't get any better :lol: :lol:
Attachments
bbb.jpg
bbb.jpg (87.87 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Attended the Armoy Races at the weekend. The speed and balls of those lads and lassies is something else. Great craic over the weekend too. I've next to no knowledge of road racing, but I'd definitely recommend going to anyone with even a passing interest in bikes.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »