Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

This is what I did to my bike today

Two wheelers
WestWicklow1
Verified Username

This is what I did to my bike today

Post by WestWicklow1 »

Did it yesterday...

I did The Boreen Run last week and used the Yamaha Serow 250. It was a shake-down for doing the Portuguese ACT (Adventure Country Tracks) later this year (hopefully).

Anyway, I found that I needed to adjust the preload on the rear shock so did it when I returned as I didn't have a c spanner with me. Turned out even if I had one with me I couldn't have done it because it's impossible to get to it (small bike)!!! The shock has to come out to adjust it!!!

Seat off and battery disconnected.
Petrol tank and side panels off to get to the shock's top mount.
Rear wheel off and suspension links dropped on one end to get to the bottom mount.
Shock out and adjusted in a couple of minutes.

Reassemble. All in all, about two hours work to adjust the shock. Went out on boreens and a couple of tracks yesterday evening with the same load and I think I got it right.
Agent_47

Re: This is what I did to my bike today

Post by Agent_47 »

Good stuff, working on a side stand extension for my bike to avoid the bike toppling over on campsite ground for Spain. Such a tricky bike is the ER6f, the side when up runs too close to the chain!
Have a makeshift rubber attachment fitted but so difficult to attach a thick pad or mount. Nearly there though
WestWicklow1
Verified Username

Post by WestWicklow1 »

Agent_47 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:26 pm Good stuff, working on a side stand extension for my bike to avoid the bike toppling over on campsite ground for Spain. Such a tricky bike is the ER6f, the side when up runs too close to the chain!
Have a makeshift rubber attachment fitted but so difficult to attach a thick pad or mount. Nearly there though
I carry something like this with a length of string attached...

...ever since I put the side stand down in sandy soil at Le Camping Moto, many moons ago, and we both went over!!
Itineo

Post by Itineo »

I brought in an SV650S from NI at the end of last year. Frankly, I'm too old for a sports bike but love the performance so I did a few mods.
1. ABM Bar risers. Big Job.
2. Dogbones to drop rear suspension
3. Touring Scottoiler
4. CAD modelled and 3D printed a 12v power socket for under the seat.
5. Remanufactured the bar ends from the original clip on bars with 3D printed fixings.
6. Bought a cheap GPS pouch and made up a tidy bracket (3D printing again) so I can actually see the clocks and reach the key.
8. Removed the mechanical restrictor ( Should be item 1.)
All in all I love the bike and am very happy with the results. If I get a few likes to this post I'll reformat and post a few pics for anyone interested. It's a bit of a chore at the moment as the file size is so low.
Itineo

Post by Itineo »

Tumbleweed rolls by.....
Geotrig

Post by Geotrig »

Any pics of that work sounds interesting
CJhaughey
Verified Username

Post by CJhaughey »

Took off the old PR3 and stuck on a fresh Road 5, I don't have a balancer so I couldn't get it balanced but I will stick it in a vice as soon as the weather is a bit better.
No hassle changing them yourself and a couple of pieces of old hose save the rim from scratches.
Took the forks off while the wheel was out and changed the oil for 15 weight Rock Oil SVI, I have CBF1000 forks on the Deau because the old forks got damaged when trying to get the seals out when they started leaking.
Agent_47

Post by Agent_47 »

Fitted the Garmin to my bike via a special bracket and a modded Garmin friction pad mount.

My dry run with a Givi phone mount had too much vibration and I felt sure the Garmin was going to pop out any second
Itineo

Post by Itineo »

Agent_47 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:26 pm Fitted the Garmin to my bike via a special bracket and a modded Garmin friction pad mount.

My dry run with a Givi phone mount had too much vibration and I felt sure the Garmin was going to pop out any second
Here's my attempt at same: Using it with a GPS pouch but much tidier than the original articulated bracket that came with it. Slots take Cable Ties and I'm using the rubber strips that came with the original to keep it from slipping or scraping the bars.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (36.25 KiB) Viewed 4031 times
Itineo

Post by Itineo »

Geotrig wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:59 pm Any pics of that work sounds interesting
12v supply housing that fits in the tailpiece of the SV650. Which has exactly about zero space at the pointy end at the back. It's about the third iteration to see what would fit. Uses a cheap Halfords three socket thingy for the power supply. For the hell of it I decided to include a fuse and relay as the young man I sold my last bike to took out the main fuse when a loose bolt rolled into the socket and shorted it out. Ignore the dodgy dimensions on the images which I'm too lazy to delete. I set it up so that standard spade connectors push into the rear and the fuse and relay block push into them from the front. Happy with the result.
[img
rear.JPG
rear.JPG (68.29 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
front.JPG
front.JPG (47.24 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
[/img]