Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Clarkson’s Farm

schmittel
Verified Username

Clarkson’s Farm

Post by schmittel »

Just started watching this, it’s brilliant TV. Really enjoying it.

What do real farmers think?! I think if I was farming 70 odd acres of middling land struggling to make ends meet it might grind my gears a bit to see someone with more money than sense farming 1000 prime acres for the laughs.
Memento Mori

Re: Clarkson’s Farm

Post by Memento Mori »

I thought it was great, but they should have told us at the end what he got for his grant. That is literally my only complaint, I loved it. I deal with farmers in a professional capacity a lot (despite know f all about farming myself) and they all thought it was very good.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

I thought it was good. Looking forward to Season 2. I wonder how much Amazon & Lamborghini are paying him?

Post by 765489 »

Scotty wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:25 pm I thought it was good. Looking forward to Season 2. I wonder how much Amazon & Lamborghini are paying him?
The Lambo tractor brand is owned by the SDF group. They also own the Deutz and Same brands.

I haven't seen it yet as I don't have Amazon Prime yet. Can't wait to see it.
Buford T. Justice VI

Post by Buford T. Justice VI »

I keep meaning to watch a few episodes but there's always someone watching something else. The reaction from the farming community has been exceedingly positive but I wonder how long will it go before they have to resort to the tomfoolery, I suppose, that seemed to take up all the time in the last few series of Top Gear?
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Buford T. Justice VI wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:05 am I keep meaning to watch a few episodes but there's always someone watching something else. The reaction from the farming community has been exceedingly positive but I wonder how long will it go before they have to resort to the tomfoolery, I suppose, that seemed to take up all the time in the last few series of Top Gear?
I think this is a very valid point. I am only half way through the first series, but one of the things that makes it so enjoyable is the sense that Clarkson is genuinely learning and understanding something new and is very enthused about that. Eg seeing him gets hands on with lambing, and he is clearly very personally involved in the process.

In further series I suspect you're right, the initial enthusiasm will wane and the messing will take over.

That said, Clarkson being Clarkson there is a fair bit of messing so far in this series nonetheless!

Post by 765489 »

From looking at the bits I've seen of it and the reactions from the general public, it's probably done a lot more on showing the challenges faced in farming than the likes of that rubbish they show on rte every year ( week on the farm ) I really cringe when that's on. Guessing the price of a combine or grimme potato harvester and the public thinking wow these fckers are minted, without the flip side that the margins are very tight and it could be all repossessed if you have a bad year.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Buford T. Justice VI wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:05 am The reaction from the farming community has been exceedingly positive but I wonder how long will it go before they have to resort to the tomfoolery, I suppose, that seemed to take up all the time in the last few series of Top Gear?
Ohh the tomfoolery is in it from the first episode! It's much like a Top Gear Special in that what can go wrong generally does but there's just enough off script ad-libing to keep it entertaining. Clarkson is very good at that kind of 'bull in a china shop' roll. The other characters in the show are excellent.

It does give 'non farm folk' an insight into how dependant a farms profit/loss is dependant on things like weather and external market prices.

The programs production cost is so cheap, (3-4 'cast', 5-6 crew?) I could see it going on for many seasons to come (I see Deadliest Catch is on Season 17! 17!!!!!!, how it went more than 15 mins is beyond me!).
Buford T. Justice VI

mailman wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:24 am The price he was getting for shorn fleeces was pathetic.
It cost us 210 euro to shear the ewes this year for 10 euro of wool.

It's worth more as fertiliser, tbh, and that's where it currently resides, fully biodegradable unlike the plastic tat going for a euro for a pack of 10 t-shirts.
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Absolutely fantastic show, I hope Caleb gets a agent to negotiate a huge fee for the second season.
Buford T. Justice VI

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:35 pm Absolutely fantastic show, I hope Caleb gets a agent to negotiate a huge fee for the second season.
Just watched the first episode tonight and Caleb is the only sane one there :D
Looking forward to Jeremy buying sheep, what could possibly go wrong
SouthWesterly
Verified Username

Post by SouthWesterly »

Buford T. Justice VI wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:42 pm Just watched the first episode tonight and Caleb is the only sane one there :D
Looking forward to Jeremy buying sheep, what could possibly go wrong
He got attached to them.ever name dinner.

Really enjoyed watching it with the kids
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

I hope he gets some cattle for the next season
KHD

Post by KHD »

Memento Mori wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:40 pm I hope he gets some cattle for the next season
He has cows in season two.

I see some eejit is suing Jeremy for injuring her foot where a middle post was taken out to open a double gate to a field. I still haven't seen the first season yet !

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/je ... -his-farm/
KHD

Post by KHD »

Good program on RTE 1 on Wednesday nights called Homegrown. It focuses on the horticultural sector. Tonight's episode was a man from Lusk who produces wine from his own vineyard. The McCann family in Rush who grow lettuce using state of the art hydroponics on a large scale - very impressive setup. And a lad growing turf ( the grass kind ) Much better than Ear to the Ground I find which can be a bit ridiculous at times.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

KHD wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:36 pm Good program on RTE 1 on Wednesday nights called Homegrown. It focuses on the horticultural sector. Tonight's episode was a man from Lusk who produces wine from his own vineyard. The McCann family in Rush who grow lettuce using state of the art hydroponics on a large scale - very impressive setup. And a lad growing turf ( the grass kind ) Much better than Ear to the Ground I find which can be a bit ridiculous at times.
I must give that a look, I would watch Clarkson's Farm, but I dislike the man with a passion which was encouraged by my sojourn on the Isle of Man where he is pretty detested. :)
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Post by KHD »

It's on RTE plus there now Del. There's one thing the presenter said to the wine maker commenting on the fact that he is the only guy who sells wine from his vineyard in Ireland - Paraphrasing this - It's really important to have other producers to learn from and get advice. I can say this for sure, in the horticultural industry nobody tells anyone anything about what is successful and what is not! This has always been the case.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I must say, I've seen Clarkson's Farm and I thought it did a lot to expose how tough farming is to make a reasonable return. I've a few friends who farm part time (they hold down regular "9-5" jobs as well) who said it was fairly accurate in showing the struggles and how easy it is to loose a LOT of money.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Finished watching the first series. Anyway he has a good team around him that know what they are doing. So it's basically Jeremy learning how to farm, like top gear he makes himself out to be clueless for the audience, but he's not really clueless in my view.. the reversing of the tractor with the trailer, there's no way he doesn't know how to do that or can't master it after a few attempts with his driving skills or the fooking up of the tram lines when he was on the sower, again this would have been explained to him before he even got into the tractor. All for the camera and obviously getting big money from Amazon for it so this covers the cost of the fook ups.

Anyway a very entertaining series and the general public will definitely learn more from this show compared to the absolute cringeful RTE's Year on the Farm or The Ploughing rubbish it puts out every year. He does a good job of showing the challenges farmers face on a daily basis with regard to regulations, weather, pricing, machinery costs and what is left moneywise at the end of a bad year. Looking forward to the second series, well worth a watch for anyone who didn't see it yet.

Thought Gerald was some craic. It helps if you like Clarkson's sense of humour which I've never had a problem with.
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

Really enjoyed it, when is the second series out?
KHD

Post by KHD »

mmercedes84 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:31 pm Really enjoyed it, when is the second series out?
Think the first program is already out. I see it on my TV android app but it won't play for me.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Had a look on Amazon there no series 2 unless I’m operating the remote incorrectly.
blackwhite
Verified Username

Post by blackwhite »

Series 2 will be on Amazon from 10 February. They confirmed the dates earlier this month