Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Chainsaw Thread

JayZeus
Verified Username

The Chainsaw Thread

Post by JayZeus »

We're missing one of these threads here. I'll get the ball rolling..

Picked up a very original Husqvarna 42 Special yesterday. It's been run on Aspen pretty much since new, so it's not a smelly dirty heap. Gave it a quick clean, new fuel line and filter, NGK plug, Power Mate rim sprocket (8 tooth for the craic). Tuned the carb and it's a little cracker of a saw. The bar and chain will be swapped for something a bit nicer during the week too. I have a couple of Tsumura/Carlton japanese bars and some new X-Cut chains to suit back at home. Looking forward to using this fairly regularly for general use around the farm.

Oh yeah, that shine from the plastics isn't any glossy wipe or anything. The plastics are still that clean from new!

421 Medium.jpeg
422 Medium.jpeg

Re: The Chainsaw Thread

Post by 765489 »

I have a Husqvarna 432 MKII with a 15inch bar. Got it early last year. Very happy with it. Haven't needed to use it so far this year but firewood gathering will be started shortly. 😀

Post by 765489 »

Quick question regarding safety footwear. I got a pair of chainsaw boots, think they are Stilh. But they weigh a ton. Any recommendations on chainsaw safety footwear that is light on the feet ?
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

They're a pretty well liked saw. I was looking at one pretty hard when the 42 came up. If I get half a chance or an excuse that'll pass, a 435 will be on the list to own, at least for a bit some time next year. I fancy having a go at porting a saw too at some stage so it might be good to give a go on.

I've a few other huskies, including a 242XP. Absolutely my favourite saws, those 80/90's 2xx series saws. I've a 550XP and 560XP which get used for felling and limbing work. Expensive machines but they're a whole other animal and great for that kind of work when that's what has to be done. Autotune is the business. I've had zero trouble since my first Autotune model bought back in 2014. I had a 576XP for a while but it was just a bit more than I needed, and heavier than I liked. I sold that and stuck with the 560XP to run a 24" bar and the 550XP's normally running on 13 or 16" bars depending on what I'm at.

I'm not a total Husky fanboi though. Just what I settled into and makes it easy to keep spare plus, sprockets, bars and chains and move between saws when needed without trying to make up a combo that'll work across brands. I had a big Solo years ago with an Alaskan Mill setup. 94cc and heaps of grunt. A nice saw to use. Simple and worked great. Also uses the same bar mount as the Husqvarna large mount so that was handy.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:41 pm Quick question regarding safety footwear. I got a pair of chainsaw boots, think they are Stilh. But they weigh a ton. Any recommendations on chainsaw safety footwear that is light on the feet ?
A pair of Oregon or Eurologger forestry wellies are a lot lighter, but awful for rough ground if you're used to wearing a good boot. I'm very strict with myself on the safety gear side of things so I'm wearing the Husqvarna Technical boots, also very rigid and heavy, but not uncomfortable I suppose for what they are. While the wellies have the cut protection, I value the sure footed feeling from wearing the hiking/hunting boot style full leather yokes. But I know plenty are happy with the lighter weight wellies, just not for me really.

I mis-struck with an axe a few years back and it ended up cutting the toe box open on my first pair of the Tech 24's. Stopped before it hit my toes, thank you know know what. Chainsaw boots aren't made to handle that, but a good leather boot is what the matted cut protection was built into, and it's the leather boot that helped me avoid a nasty injury all the same. After that, I'd only wear that type I think. Stupidity on my part, and a hideously expensive pair of boots to have to replace for such a gobsheite manouvre too.

Post by 765489 »

JayZeus wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:58 pm A pair of Oregon or Eurologger forestry wellies are a lot lighter, but awful for rough ground if you're used to wearing a good boot. I'm very strict with myself on the safety gear side of things so I'm wearing the Husqvarna Technical boots, also very rigid and heavy, but not uncomfortable I suppose for what they are. While the wellies have the cut protection, I value the sure footed feeling from wearing the hiking/hunting boot style full leather yokes. But I know plenty are happy with the lighter weight wellies, just not for me really.

I mis-struck with an axe a few years back and it ended up cutting the toe box open on my first pair of the Tech 24's. Stopped before it hit my toes, thank you know know what. Chainsaw boots aren't made to handle that, but a good leather boot is what the matted cut protection was built into, and it's the leather boot that helped me avoid a nasty injury all the same. After that, I'd only wear that type I think. Stupidity on my part, and a hideously expensive pair of boots to have to replace for such a gobsheite manouvre too.
This is a very lazy photo of them. From reading what your saying there J i suppose they are heavy for a reason!
20220806_230547.jpg
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Nice little saw. Its something I must invest in since my husky 135 gave up the ghost about a year ago. I have been borrowing my dads electric saw when I'm stuck. No w he wants it back for some work of his own.

And he was 90 years of age last month :lol:
KHD

Post by KHD »

I got my first log holder recently. Its a timbercroc model. Feels well built and is good and heavy. Will be using it shortly and report back. I've another potential use for it where I can stick a scafolding plank in it and use it as a work area rather than searching through weeds and grass trying to figure out where I left the hammer. :mrgreen:

KHD

Post by KHD »

Happy with it. Good and sturdy and is kind to my back. 😀

I thought removing the butt from the grip would be hard but it's just a case of knocking it out when I put in the next limb.
Screenshot_20221105-140642_Gallery.jpg
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Looks like an interesting thing to have available.

They're very short pieces you've cut there, KHD. Is that how you always do it?

When I do my logs, I'd be cutting them close to the full length sticking out of the jaws of the holder (55cm max, though I generally aim for 45-50cm for the heavier logs) Generally, though, I leave the chainsaw in the shed and use this instead (bought ex-rental from a local hardware 15 years ago, 60cm circular blade inside). It makes short work of an oak tree's branches! :mrgreen:

(Those sticks on the ground are just odd bits and pieces cut and collected from around the garden during the year; I'll probably cut them up when I get back in December.)
KHD

Post by KHD »

I had a good few downed limbs of trees to collect around the fields so I cut them into manageable chunks and put them in the transport box and brought them back. Usually I only get the chainsaw for anything over say 4 inches, the rest I'd saw by hand on an old metal frame of a chair. I'd be stooped all the time and be walking crooked if I spent the day doing it... so this year I said I'd get a log horse and not have the same hardship I'd have in previous years :)

Another drawback with that log horse, although it made a big difference to my back today, is that it is not great at handling small branches like the ones you have in the picture. A standard log horse would be a better option I think for these sized branches... or your serious piece of kit displayed in the photo :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ah now, that's not really serious kit - sure you can buy them in any decent hardware here. The serious kit would be something like the monster running off the PTO of a tractor earlier in the year on one of my walks, with three aul' fellas working flat out as a team working their way through a massive pile of felled trees. One to pick up the long log, one to cutting it to size, the third firing it expertly into the stack on the other side.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Was watching a video about something else just passing the time but this guy had a metal box for his chainsaw where he could keep a few bits and pieces together. Great idea I'd have never thought of this... considering anytime I'm out with the chainsaw it's usually on the floor of the tractor along with fuel and oil rolling about, aswell as worrying not to misplace the spanner for keeping the chain tight. Might be of interest to others. ( These are some screeshots I grabbed from a video while looking at an old tractor )

Now to find a box big enough :mrgreen:
Chainsawbox1.jpg
Chainsawbox2.jpg
KHD

Post by KHD »

And here's the whole video if anyone is interested... I was only having a gawk at the old Deutz.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

KHD wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:52 pm Was watching a video about something else just passing the time but this guy had a metal box for his chainsaw where he could keep a few bits and pieces together. Great idea I'd have never thought of this... considering anytime I'm out with the chainsaw it's usually on the floor of the tractor along with fuel and oil rolling about, aswell as worrying not to misplace the spanner for keeping the chain tight. Might be of interest to others. ( These are some screeshots I grabbed from a video while looking at an old tractor )

Now to find a box big enough :mrgreen:

Chainsawbox1.jpg

Chainsawbox2.jpg
Looks like Makita colours. I was told by a tree surgeon who uses one, that its favoured by the british army engineers and is a brute of a beast
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Petrol might i add.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

I think the Makita petrol chainsaws are rebadged Dolmar saws.

I’m sure they’re fine but I’d never give up my Husqvarna XP saws for one!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

JayZeus wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:24 pm I think the Makita petrol chainsaws are rebadged Dolmar saws.

I’m sure they’re fine but I’d never give up my Husqvarna XP saws for one!
Hard to beat a husky
KHD

Post by KHD »

Found something similar to what I posted earlier with regard to the box. Husqvarna do one of these boxes. Haven't bought off this site only using the link as an example.

https://irishforestryproducts.ie/produc ... -powerbox/
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Ran a Stihl 661 on a 3 foot Granberg mill a couple of weeks ago.

That tempted me, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Ordered a 592XPG tonight while half watching the Late Late Toy Show.

Happy Christmas to me.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Picking this up tomorrow and I am so excited it’s a bit ridiculous really.

It’s the closest I’ve felt to the night of December 24th in over 40 years. I have the alarm clock set an hour early so I can go for breakfast before I collect it at the dealers, and the schedule is clear until dinner time so I can play with it and tease my chainsaw friends on WhatsApp and the likes.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

IMG_2023-12-02-125907.jpeg
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

It's very shiny! I'd be afraid to get it dirty. :mrgreen:
JayZeus
Verified Username