Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

I keep chickens

Fratello
Verified Username

I keep chickens

Post by Fratello »

I've noticed some posters keep chickens.

We have chickens here. 4 girl chickens and 1 boy chicken.

The little black bantum went broody so we put 5 eggs under her. We candled them at 7 days and all 5 were looking good. There was a mishap and the mammy hen was off for the nest for a few hours. Eggs were cold. Internet was no good to tell if they would be viable. To avoid disappointment to kids and mammy bird we 3 more egg put under.

In the end the 5 hatched and we borrowed incubator to complete the last 3 which also hatched.

It appears we now have 3 girl chicks and 5 boy chicks. 13 birds in total.
kadman
Verified Username

Re: I keep chickens

Post by kadman »

We have 5 Rhode island reds. We also had a cuckoo marum cockrel, which was a wicked bstard, had to get rid of him.
He was better than any watchdog, and more vicious. :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

:cry: Youse are making me broody.

I no longer have chickens, and I miss them. Especially mad Lily, who firmly believed in the maxim "the early bird catches the worm" and used to try and catch them from between the blades of the rotavator as I was pushing it along! :o

If I could get back in the habit of not traipsing around the country for weeks on end, I'd get some more. And a cat (or two).
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

We have, 4 grown up hens all different. Rhode Island Red, Black Rock, Daisy Bell, and a little black bantum. The first 3 gives eggs 365 days the bantum is a egg every 2 days. We have a rooster, a small bantum with lovely plumage.

We have chicks from each now although looks like 5 boys out of 8. What do you do with roosters them when they have cute names given by the kids?