Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Mandatory EID Cattle tagging

Buford T. Justice VI

Mandatory EID Cattle tagging

Post by Buford T. Justice VI »

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/mandatory ... 022-640114

So all calves born in 2022 will have a white EID tag and a yellow tissue sample tag sent out with new orders for next year. I'm assuming using tags left from this year can be supplemented with a new EID tag until the old sets are used up and there's going to be some level of subvention for the added costs of the EID tags but not for long.

I did warn that letting sheep be mandatory EID tagged would speed up the same for cattle.

Ah well.
R4L

Re: Mandatory EID Cattle tagging

Post by R4L »

In reality unless beef farmers are using auto feeders for calves there is little benefit for the additional cost. I looks like factories, marts and Vet's will gain more from their implementation.
Buford T. Justice VI

Re: Mandatory EID Cattle tagging

Post by Buford T. Justice VI »

R4L wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:10 pm In reality unless beef farmers are using auto feeders for calves there is little benefit for the additional cost. I looks like factories, marts and Vet's will gain more from their implementation.
A cost of 2.4m a year for next to no benefit inside the farm gate for most farmers. Maybe once vets get scanners for testing there might be some tangible benefit for farmers but it'll be 4 or 5 years before the majority of the herd will be e-tagged for that to start making some payback.