Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

F&F Chitchat - Where did Buford dump fungi Version 1.0

F&F Chitchat - Where did Buford dump fungi Version 1.0

Post by 765489 »

May as well create a chit chat thread... since your the only real farmer apart from Parkrat in the place and you have questions to answer on the disappearance of Fungi I thought I'd name the thread after ya sheriff.
Buford T. Justice VI

Re: F&F Chitchat - Where did Buford dump fungi Version 1.0

Post by Buford T. Justice VI »

No idea where he disappeared to but I'm fecking sick of eating tuna with the last few months:)

Post by 765489 »

I'm not uttering a word to you in here Buford until BP arrives.

Post by 765489 »

See the lads are gone out to harvest the last 5 acres of garlic beside me. This stuff was supposed to be for high end restaurants and it was the seed stalk the were going to cut off it. It's apparently fried and has a more intense flavour but due to the way things have gone with the lock down there wasn't the market there when it was due to be cut. They are just lifting the bulbs. 10k per acre he said that was paid for these seed bulbs from Holland.

He showed me 4 drills that he's trying to produce his own seed so will be interesting to see how he gets on with it.
Buford T. Justice VI

Herd test tomorrow morning, dreading it. Sold a few late weanlings straight from the shed last year straight after passing a private test. The buyer passed a herd test soon after and sold a few on to another farm. All the ones he sold went down with TB. The guy I sold them to then had a herd test and the rest of them went down so it's not looking good for passing the test this time.

Talking to my vet and he's thinking one of the high SCC cows that I was feeding those calves from might have a low infection level and infected them. Some of those cows are still here and fed a good few of this years calves as well as last years ones so he reckons there's a good chance of going down both from the cow and from the young stock from this year and last year.

Bucket anyway:(

Post by 765489 »

Are you dairying Buford ?

Anyway, sorry to hear about that, fingers crossed it won't be as bad as you say. Can do much until you get the test results back.
Buford T. Justice VI

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:30 pm Are you dairying Buford ?

Anyway, sorry to hear about that, fingers crossed it won't be as bad as you say. Can do much until you get the test results back.
Mixed but mostly dairy.

All I can do is wait. We know the TB in the area was brought in by badgers after land was brought back into production over threat of penalty on their BPS. And the badgers were removed here twice but nothing done with the setts which are an ideal storage area for TB. The badgers return, contract TB, and head out to reinfect the cattle.

The whole system is an absolute farce, tbh.
R4L

Post by R4L »

How did it go this morning with the test. It may not be as bad as you think. Hopefully you will receive good news on Monday. Best of luck.
Buford T. Justice VI

R4L wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:43 pm How did it go this morning with the test. It may not be as bad as you think. Hopefully you will receive good news on Monday. Best of luck.
Thanks, I think we're going to need it.

It started raining as we put in the first round of cows and finished just as we put in the last round :roll:

Ah feck it, as long as it stays outside the door, we shouldn't be worrying too much about it.
Buford T. Justice VI

R4L wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:43 pm How did it go this morning with the test. It may not be as bad as you think. Hopefully you will receive good news on Monday. Best of luck.
Well, it didn't go well at all.

25% down with TB, locked up, valuers coming this morning, reactors going next Friday once I accept the value, even 6 calves among the reactors and they will probably be put down here before loading for a post mortem.

We're in a daze here this week, loads to do but it seems pointless because the chances are high that a big number will go again next test. Big hole in the cashflow for the rest of the year too as all the milk from the reactors has to be dumped, used to be worth 40c/l, now costing 20c/l. And can't sell the cull cows now either so they will probably stay and calve down late spring next year. About 20k chopped off receipts so some of the compensation money to buy replacements will have to be used to keep the show on the road till next year.

It's a ballcocks of a system :x

Post by 765489 »

Sorry to hear that Buford. Not much I can think of to say that will make any difference to you man other than take care of yourself and family. Things will eventually turn around, all you can do is deal with the current set of challenges and eventually things will come right again. And don't be afraid to ask for help from your neighbours and friends,
R4L

Post by R4L »

I'm so sorry for you and your family. I know it's of little consolation but at least it's outside the door.
The calves/weanlings will be humanely injected by either your Vet or a DAFM Vet.
Can you get another valuation from a registered/approved livestock auctioneer in your area as sometimes DAFM valuations are shite.
Most of all take care of yourself and your family.
Buford T. Justice VI

R4L wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:54 pm I'm so sorry for you and your family. I know it's of little consolation but at least it's outside the door.
The calves/weanlings will be humanely injected by either your Vet or a DAFM Vet.
Can you get another valuation from a registered/approved livestock auctioneer in your area as sometimes DAFM valuations are shite.
Most of all take care of yourself and your family.
We can reject the valuations but the removal of reactors will be delayed for another week then and the next test will be delayed another week while another valuer comes in. We'll have to see the valuations coming in first and decide then.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Sorry to hear that, Buford. Half the time I think it's a racket.
We've also received notice of 2 neighbours locked up.
R4L

Post by R4L »

ANC payments to issue 15th of Sept. Showing in amounts due in financial self services on Agfood.

Post by 765489 »

Myself and brother cleaned out the cow dung out of a shed today for a neighbour. We used a Merlo with a 2 ton bucket. The sensor lights up on it when the load is over 1.8 ton. We took out about 70 buckets and spread it in a field that's apparently supposed to be ploughed shortly. Some amount of plastic hay rap mixed in it. Whoever poor soul that's going to be in that field with a power harrow and plough is going to be swearing and effin all day when the rap gets caught in everything. Started at 6.30am and we finished in the pissings of rain at 7.45pm. In some places there must have been 5 foot of shite and hay. I was going to take a couple of trailer loads but glad I didn't.

Post by 765489 »

To Buford, BP if you made it over and any other farmer lurking here. Hope you all have a great Christmas and hopefully next year will be a better year.