Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Tanalised round stakes

Tanalised round stakes

Post by 765489 »

Anyone have any advice on decent quality 3 to 4 inch tanalised stakes. Good suppliers etc.

I'm putting down a small orchard and it turns out creosote stakes next to the trees are now banned for orchard use.

The quality of tantalise stakes I find is not great in that they rot at the bottom in a few short years. I take it there are better quality ones out there that could last for 10 ? Or is there ?

Only other option would be to put in creosote strainers and high tensile wire but I want to try and stay away from that option as I can see problems when grass cutting.

Any recommendations or suppliers would be appreciated.
Buford T. Justice VI

Re: Tanalised round stakes

Post by Buford T. Justice VI »

Off the top of my head, I'd say call down to your local Agri store and ask there, they might have some or know where you might get some? Or maybe DoneDeal?

Plastic might do the job but I've no experience of them?

https://www.donedeal.ie/fencingequipmen ... s/21061836

The reason for the poor length of time both the tanalised and cresote stakes don't last as long as they have reduced or removed the ingredients that were the best for preservation of the timber. Good for the environment in one way but bad in that they don't last as long anymore.

Post by 765489 »

I'll take a trip down to local agri store so. Just don't want to be replacing them in 4 or 5 years as I'll probably damage the apply tree's putting in replacements. I've never see anyone with the plastic stakes but from reading your link they might be an option too. I'll be using two per tree, 3 inch diameter.

Thanks Buford, food for thought there.
R4L

Post by R4L »

You could use Larch posts or alternatively plastic ones. I occasionally pass a place in Kilberry, Co. Meath (near Slane) and saw pallets of plastic posts. Link to their website https://www.ngp.ie/product/plastic-fence-posts/

Post by 765489 »

Thanks R4L. That's closer to me that place. I must show that site to my neighbour too. He's got cattle and all his PDM posts are rotten and only down 4 years. He might be interested in them too.

Edit, sorry lads a bit of a personal rant - anytime I try something new I get it into my head everything must be well thought down to every little fine detail... it's a pain in the hole but I can't operate any other way.... not OCD but more I like to do things right the first time. ... this post thing is driving me nuts.... it's very hard to get decent information on the stakes used in orchards... and I've learnt today that depending on the rootstock of the tree determines the height of the posts being put in... some up to 8 foot high.... everything else I'm happy I've done my research on...

Going to give future forests a buzz next week... there's a helpful lad I've been buying trees for years off and will be sourcing the trees from them anyway...

I might start a thread on my progress... might be of use to anyone else interested...