Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The rusty tool and machinery thread.

The rusty tool and machinery thread.

Post by 765489 »

Are you a hoarder of rusty machinery and tools ? Post your favourites. Are they still in working order ? ( in your eyes )

My father's 80 inch Howard rotovator. It still works but will probably never be used again. I lift it every year just so it's not completely burying in brambles. It needs the slip clutch disks replaced and the chain cover repaired/ replaced.
Screenshot_20210901-095303_Gallery.jpg

Re: The rusty tool and machinery thread.

Post by 765489 »

My grandfather's scythe. The handle has woodworm and the blade is brittle. It's always in the fecking way but it's the only real thing left that my grandfather used to use so it's never going anywhere.
Screenshot_20210901-100809_Gallery.jpg
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Great thread,...now we have somewhere to dump CR's rusty old tat....thanks :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I am an avid collector of rusty old machinery, but had to cull a few lately.
Rotovator, rusty buit still used. Zetor 2511, rusty, and using it today,
numerous rusty vw parts from the 60's onwards, and a rusty looking 25 year old long reach cherry picker, still used.

Post by 765489 »

kadman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:48 am I am an avid collector of rusty old machinery, but had to cull a few lately.
Rotovator, rusty buit still used. Zetor 2511, rusty, and using it today,
numerous rusty vw parts from the 60's onwards, and a rusty looking 25 year old long reach cherry picker, still used.
Any photos of the cheery picker kadman ?

Post by 765489 »

The depth wheel off an old Pearce plough blocking up a gap with my neighbour to keep his little vicious Jack Russell out.

Sold the plough without the depth wheel. :mrgreen:
Screenshot_20210901-112859_Gallery.jpg
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Here you go. I have another somewhere with it fully extended. I needed a cherry picker for cutting down trees around the house, that had to come down. I tried to hire one, but at 300 euro a day 5 years ago, I knew it would be cheaper to buy an old secondhand one.
Attachments
DSCF4478.jpg
DSCF4478.jpg (105.15 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
DSCF4475.jpg
DSCF4475.jpg (98.13 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
DSCF4476.jpg
DSCF4476.jpg (104.17 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

And the old zetor, and apair of copper shoes for my plough I made up when I used to sow a big garden. Amazing innovation, and a profound effect on crop yields, especially potatoes. Copper and gardening is something to be investigated.
Attachments
DSCF4477.jpg
DSCF4477.jpg (101.59 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
DSCF4480.jpg
DSCF4480.jpg (97.31 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
DSCF4479.jpg
DSCF4479.jpg (94.4 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
Buford T. Justice VI

Post by Buford T. Justice VI »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:05 am Are you a hoarder of rusty machinery and tools ? Post your favourites. Are they still in working order ? ( in your eyes )

My father's 80 inch Howard rotovator. It still works but will probably never be used again. I lift it every year just so it's not completely burying in brambles. It needs the slip clutch disks replaced and the chain cover repaired/ replaced.

That's worth a few bob, Ncd. I bought one a few years back for 5k imported from the UK but the guy I had looking for it was looking for over 2 years for a good one. They're rare as hens teeth but a fantastic machine for the job.

Post by 765489 »

Buford T. Justice VI wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:30 pm That's worth a few bob, Ncd. I bought one a few years back for 5k imported from the UK but the guy I had looking for it was looking for over 2 years for a good one. They're rare as hens teeth but a fantastic machine for the job.
Might take it out of there and have a better look at it so. Still works but there's a hole in the chain cover, the skid under the chain cover is missing, the depth wheels need replacing and one lever needs freeing up. Boards are good and straight. Might be something to keep me going in the winter with. 🤔

Post by 765489 »

kadman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:52 am Here you go. I have another somewhere with it fully extended. I needed a cherry picker for cutting down trees around the house, that had to come down. I tried to hire one, but at 300 euro a day 5 years ago, I knew it would be cheaper to buy an old secondhand one.
That's a handy yoke to have around the place Kadman. The fun I could have if I got a hold of that. :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Cherry picker is a great tool around the house. No need for ladders anymore.
I bought mine because I knew i had weeks of work, and at 300 euro a day to hire, I would have to sell both the mrs kidneys :lol:
The one I have is suitable for property maintenance , but its not doe'd for the road.

Its a 12.5 metre reach, which is longer than normal, and weighs in at 7.5 ton.
2.8 Iveco engine will go anywhere.
Attachments
18090_401bc5f39ae3f3e1b0754c0b3187377e_t.jpg
18090_401bc5f39ae3f3e1b0754c0b3187377e_t.jpg (265.71 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
18090_366a2c604eba01e6d259614b15d9fef3_tcp1.jpg
18090_366a2c604eba01e6d259614b15d9fef3_tcp1.jpg (262.18 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:47 pm Cherry picker is a great tool around the house. No need for ladders anymore.
I bought mine because I knew i had weeks of work, and at 300 euro a day to hire, I would have to sell both the mrs kidneys :lol:
The one I have is suitable for property maintenance , but its not doe'd for the road.

Its a 12.5 metre reach, which is longer than normal, and weighs in at 7.5 ton.
2.8 Iveco engine will go anywhere.
I'll see your 12.5m and raise you 1.5! :lol:

Same decision-making logic on my part - have an awful lot of roof, gable and trees (including cherries :mrgreen: ) to deal with, and decided it'd make more financial sense to own one outright.

Not sure what engine's in it, other than it's a hefty Perkins thing ... that struggles to move the chassis forwards or backwards. :cry:

Subject for another thread, when I've finished procrastinating.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Nice job. Is that a telescopic unit, or beam.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I replaced my existing gearbox driven pump with a new unit. Last one failed when I was up in it. :)
Luckily it has 2 more fail safe systems, one that can be powered from the van itself, and the other that is electric motor pump driven
from a safety key in the bucket.

I know a friend who had to shimmy down along the boom when his cherry picker hose burst. Now he carries a rope ladder up in the bucket :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:02 pm Nice job. Is that a telescopic unit, or beam.
Telescopic. Will see if I can find a side-view of it all folded up later. The whole thing was bought "as seen" with a variety of declared faults, the main one being "none of the controls work from the basket" :?

The MrFixit in me said that I'd figure out a way to fix that, sooner or later. Turned out to be nothing more than a blown bulb on the control box (the one that should have lit up to say that the control box was now in charge) and a dead-man's hand switch that was beautifully camouflaged into the joystick(s), so that you couldn't really see there was a switch there at all.

Also discovered all kinds of cute little features, like the flashing light on top still works, and the incessant beep-beep-beep-beep-beep that had been disabled.

But even though I had a test drive in it around the seller's yard, and all was well, something went wrong/seized up while it was sitting there waiting to be delivered and there's no significant power getting to the drive wheels. They turn alright when they're off the ground, but even though they gave some locomotive power when it first arrived (enough to go forwards and backwards, but not up the slope around the corner :( ) now I can't shift it at all. Really frustrating, as in every other respect, it's better (more functional) now than when I bought it.

Anyway, as I said, I'll give it a thread of its own in due course.

Post by 765489 »

Jaysus lads there's really some hard-core machinery coming out of the woodwork :) a feckin locomotive! I thought I was the bees knees getting one of these delivered... Don't want to bother opening it now... :lol:
20210901_204218.jpg
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:05 am Are you a hoarder of rusty machinery and tools ? Post your favourites. Are they still in working order ? ( in your eyes )

The Howard rotovator was always an expensive piece of kit even secondhand. And thats if you could find one.
I ended up buying a del morino simply because I could not get my hands on a howard one.

Not a lot to go wrong with them, and you should get it back up and running its worth a good bit.

Post by 765489 »

The chain cover I think is aluminium on the Howards? Can these be fixed if I bring it off somewhere or would I have to get a new one ? There's a small hole in it so I remember having to put liquid grease in it when I used it a few years ago. I see in donedeal there's a lad in Cork selling spares. Ye have got me interested now in pulling it out and having a better look at it. Probably need to open up the slip clutch and see what the discs are like in it.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If its an aluminium cover, then its easily welded, so probably no need for a new cover, hopefully.

The rotovator itself in any condition, is valuable. But unfortunately I have seen and looked at many of them rusting away in farmyards.
And it appeared to me many farmers would prefer to see them rust, rather than see someone get use from it in its present state.

Post by 765489 »

Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle. I sold a tractor there a few years ago and he spotted the a three sod pierce plough I had lying up minus the depth wheel. He got a flat bed trailer up to take the tractor away. Then about 3 weeks later he rolls up with a trailer to take the plough. I ended up having to take off the three sods off the plough and it was a pain in the hole for the sake of 300 euros. Plus some people don't like strangers coming into their yards.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Our local town council used to organise a free scrap-metal collection once-a-year. They'd anounce the day (in good time) and you could heap any amount of rusty scrap outside the house/at the end of the lane and it'd be taken away. Funnily enough, those with fields full of rusty cars and long dead agri-stuff rarely took advantage of the service ... most of it is still there.

Then again, sometimes it comes in handy - there's a field full of tractor tyres up the road, that no-one will pay to clear. I had a couple of MMA/fitness freaks here last year that'll be coming back again, and am hoping to fully kit out their gym/obstacle course for free! :mrgreen:
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:59 am The chain cover I think is aluminium on the Howards? Can these be fixed if I bring it off somewhere or would I have to get a new one ? There's a small hole in it so I remember having to put liquid grease in it when I used it a few years ago. I see in donedeal there's a lad in Cork selling spares. Ye have got me interested now in pulling it out and having a better look at it. Probably need to open up the slip clutch and see what the discs are like in it.
At the very least I'd pull it out, give it a bit of a once over and see what the damage is, and stick it in a shed.

Post by 765489 »

Anyone ever use one of these ? Beyond repair I'd say.
Screenshot_20210902-132531_Gallery.jpg

Post by 490808 »

Used plenty. In the UK they used to be used a lot for hanging wooden gates. I can't be sure of the sizes but I think its 1inch you use for the top adjustable hinge to bore right through the wooden post and 3/4 to part bore a hole for the bottom hammer in hinge.