Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What's the going rate for vintage baling twine?

CelticRambler
Verified Username

What's the going rate for vintage baling twine?

Post by CelticRambler »

Feckin' untidy farmers ... :evil:

Digging out a load of blackthorn to create a new passageway through the garden, I hooked a piece of baling twine. Then another. And another. And another. Over the last two decades, I've come across the odd strand, and sometimes a small knot of it, but today 'twas the mother lode: :shock:

The one consolation was that at least I found it with the digger, not the strimmer or the mower. As a rule, I generally chase down every piece so as not to "find" it again with either of those machines; but I've no idea how much more of this there is and I needed to finish the clearance work, so had to leave the rest for another day. :roll:

Found a nice piece of chain in the same spot.

And a child's salt cellar.

Re: What's the going rate for vintage baling twine?

Post by 490808 »

Either French bailer twin is different to Irish or yours is a bit more ancient than mine. I had a similar pile that turned up when I leveled out the yard. I only wanted to dig about a foot out of a bank and had to keep on going for a lot further so I could bury all the ends of the bailer twine that kept emerging after I dug up and pulled out at least as much as you have in that barrow. All mine was new enough to have a definite blue colour to it.

Another time you get to pull out loads of bailer twine is if you get a load of spent mushroom compost.

Edit> Only in France would a child have its own salt seller :roll:

Post by 765489 »

Get out of here you bloody heathens. Baling twine is a fantastic invention with so many uses. :P

I hope ya didn't throw that baling twine out CR ? Would be a shocking thing to do considering the previous land owner made the effort to leave it for the next generation. :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:20 am I hope ya didn't throw that baling twine out CR ?
Me?? Throw something out, when might well come in useful some day? G'way out of that. :mrgreen:

And besides, though it doesn't show up in the photo, most of it has been very carefully twisted into tight little rolls. Like you say - someone put a lot of work into it! :lol:

It's jet black, by the way. Typical for these parts (although I do have a small amount of orange, and there are still a few bales of straw in one of the barns tied with the really old hessian-type twine).