Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Another not a bargain alert.

Grab a bargain

Another not a bargain alert.

Post by 490808 »

Don't get ripped off on Amazon.co.uk or any other Amazon sites.

Sometimes they are outrageously more expensive than buying local even with free delivery. The main areas where this occurs is where the cheap chinese tat sector impinges on items you'd expect to be of higher quality.

I'm putting up some solar panels as an experiment (its made me aware of a lot of gotchas and pitfalls already) and needed a few meters of 6mm² 10mm² and 16mm² cable. Amazon had what I wanted but all the sellers seemed very expensive but I thought I know stuff has gone up recently maybe that's why. Anyway in town today and checked the local electrical wholesalers and they sell exactly what I want by the meter for less than half the price. 16mm² cable that is on Amazon for €6 a meter is available locally for €2.40 a meter. I checked the other cable sizes I wanted and while I can't remember the exact figures they were all half the price of those on Amazon.

I know I'll see a few I never use Amazon replies but this is a reminder not to get into the habit of hitting the Buy Now button before you check locally or even Irish owned stores websites for those that use Amazon a lot.

Maybe I was spurred on to make this post after seeing Amazons stupid "Thats a low price" advertising campaign. If they like I can find some really high prices easily enough.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Another not a bargain alert.

Post by CelticRambler »

Funny you should post that this week, as I've been seeing more and more examples of "traditional" pricing going completely out of whack with what has been usual up to now. You mention solar panels, which I've been looking at for my campervan (in conjunction with a new mains-electric-only fridge) and a certain poster on The Other Forum has regularly blasted all camper-van suppliers as being inherently ripper-offers ... and yet last week, I was getting comparable prices for "made for moving vehicle" panels as for "stick 'em on a house roof"

In a completely different context, I needed a quick and cheap example of something for a "proof of concept" exercise at work. I found exactly what I needed on alibaba at about 5€ a-piece ... but with a minimum order of 500 units and a delivery time of "a month ish maybe" Or for only twice the price and delivery within 72 hours, a near-identical item - available as single units - from, quelle surprise, a French motorhome spares supplier. One third of the price for the next best equivalent on Amazon or eBay.

Now I know these are still online vs online comparisons, but even the alternator that I had to buy in a hurry a few weeks ago was almost as cheap with next-day delivery as the equivalent being sold online with delivery in 2-5 days. (Mind you, I do slightly regret having given the old one up in part-exchange, but that's another story ... )
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Even simple things like books and jigsaws can be considerably cheaper bought from Irish retailers but the public mindset now is tuned to Amazon being cheaper than our own bricks and mortar outlets.
Last edited by Del.Monte on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'no more blah blah blah'
dawg

Post by dawg »

Its not just the price that B & M beat online.

For example, many motor factors have considerable in depth knowledge that online sellers ( not just Amazon ) cant match.
Kaiser
Verified Username

Post by Kaiser »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:05 pm Even simple things like books and jigsaws can be considerably cheaper bought from Irish retailers but the public mindset now is tuned to Amazon being cheaper than our own bricks and mortar outlets.
The problem with Irish retail is that unless you are prepared to trek wherever to collect/buy it, it will be far less convenient

Example..
I bought 4 new pillows on the Arnotts site 2 days ago - €60 (supposedly down from €100 for a pair but we know that can't be trusted)
Shipping - €5 (OK, fair enough)
Delivery ETA - 5-7 working days (seriously??!)

I could have ordered the same thing on Amazon (with probably greater selection available) and have it here today.

Why would you shop Irish under those conditions?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

This anti-bargain alert will appeal to very few on this site but it must be posted. :evil:
Thinking it would make a nice change from long straight hair I just bought a set of rollers on Amazon. I have very long waist-length fine hair, but a lot of it. I left my hair partially wet, as per the instructions, then put in the rollers - looked great, told himself he finally had a wife going round with curlers in! Said all I was missing was the Major hanging off me lip...Then I dried last bit of dampness with hair dryer as per instructions. Started to take them out expecting great things.
Well FOOK ME! I nearly had to cut the whole head of hair off meself. They had tiny bristly bristles all over the curlers, that stuck fast like stickleback cleavers to every strand of my hair and it took me an absolute age to get them out. Himself had to help, pissing himself laughing at the state of me. I look like a cat that has been dragged through a bush backwards. Cheesus Christ Amazon! With your £9.51 bargain set of 37 pcs roller set you have nearly ruined my life. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

G'wan - post a photo so we can see what you're talking about. :lol:

Post by 490808 »

Another not a bargain that turned out OK after online chat with an Amazon rep.

Picked up another network Mikrotik router from Amazon Warehouse and it arrived like new in its original packing but missing its power supply.

Now I'd have no problem finding a power supply for it but on principle I got onto chat and got offered £12.50 off the price or obviously I could send it back at no cost to me for a full refund. Grabbed the £12.50. It made the cost or the router £37.30 a great deal considering the new item would be £65.90 because I'd have to pay for delivery from a third party seller.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Just received an offer from Eir to sign up for their 'Gigabit Fibre Broadband' package - a mere €59.99 a month for 24 months. No thanks, I'll be sticking with my GOMO package €9.99 a month for life. I signed up in November 2019 and it has cost me a little over €360 since then - at that time Eir were about to up my plan to €65 per month.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:01 pm Just received an offer from Eir to sign up for their 'Gigabit Fibre Broadband' package - a mere €59.99 a month for 24 months. No thanks, I'll be sticking with my GOMO package €9.99 a month for life. I signed up in November 2019 and it has cost me a little over €360 since then - at that time Eir were about to up my plan to €65 per month.
You can't compare them, one is mobile, the other is fibre to the home. With your Gomo try watch a movie on Netflix while 5 kids swipe through TikTok on their phones while streaming music videos from YouTube on their bedroom TVs at the same time while downloading 100GB games on their consoles 😂

3 of us use Gomo in my house!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Hugh_Bigazz wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:51 pm You can't compare them, one is mobile, the other is fibre to the home. With your Gomo try watch a movie on Netflix while 5 kids swipe through TikTok on their phones while streaming music videos from YouTube on their bedroom TVs at the same time while downloading 100GB games on their consoles 😂

3 of us use Gomo in my house!
Usually there's only two of us here most of the time - no TikTok/Snapchat etc but other heavy usage movie/music streaming and no problems. The ONLY downside is no free calls to UK landlines but even that's mainly got around by Signal and Skype. From my point of view I'm doing everything I was doing with Eir - possibly more - but without the benefit of free UK calls. I know who's winning.

PS What's a television. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Don't get ripped off by purchasing a 256 GB sd card from Drone Works. While this will set you back €79.99, a Kingston SD of the same standards, C10 U3 etc, can be purchased in a Dublin bricks & mortar store for €49.99 (they're in Camden Street )