Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Search your attics!

The universal language of mankind
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Search your attics!

Post by Del.Monte »

This signed Thin Lizzy LP sold for €1,050 at the South Dublin Auction on Thursday last - 16/9/21. Including commission, VAT etc. the buyer will have shelled out an incredible €1,308 for this piece of vinyl. I don't think my two remaining LPs - Henry Mancini's Greatest Hits and something by the Black and White MInstrels - are in quite the same league. Anybody got anything to compare with "Jailbreak"?

Lot.168. A vinyl copy of Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy, signed by band members - Phil Lynott, Brian Downey, Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson - includes a certificate of authenticity.
'no more blah blah blah'
Riffmongous

Re: Search your attics!

Post by Riffmongous »

Vinyl is back in a big way the past few years
quodec

Post by quodec »

I have a copy of AC/DC's imported 1975 'High Voltage' debut album, with a mis-credit on one of the songs. Seems to be worth 400-500 Euro if you sell in the right circles! Obviously not at the Lizzy level but nice to think you bought a piece of vinyl over 40 years ago on a whim for a couple of quid and its value rises like that!
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I've got Jail Break on 45.
I've got over 10,000 records and been quite surprised when I look on Discogs to see what some of them are going for these days. Not sure I've any in the thousands range but deffo quite a few in the low to mid hundreds.
Notso

Post by Notso »

Ya know where the secret book and record shop is? Remember the music shop that was across the road down the stairs? I can't think of the name, but I remember venturing down one day and they had a load of Thin Lizzy records behind the shelf signed by Phillo, I think they were €50 each.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Notso wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:55 pm Ya know where the secret book and record shop is? Remember the music shop that was across the road down the stairs? I can't think of the name, but I remember venturing down one day and they had a load of Thin Lizzy records behind the shelf signed by Phillo, I think they were €50 each.
Are you thinking of "The Sound Cellar" over on nearby Nassau Street"?
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Notso is referring to the Record Collector shop in Wicklow street. Carried lots of signed LPs and bootleg cassettes.

I've bought vinyl since 1981, CDs since 1986.
I kept buying new LPs all through The Dark Age (1990-2009) when the vast majority of people stopped or simply abandoned the format. As a result I have quite a few titles that are rare simply because they sold very few copies on vinyl. The funny thing was that they were all easily available at the time - and in many cases of major label releases - reduced to clear in the likes of Virgin & HMV after a few months of sitting on the shelves. George Michael's Older is probably the most extreme example - the median price for it on Discogs is €860 and it has sold for as much as €1,289. https://www.discogs.com/release/981184- ... hael-Older
At the time of release in 1996, I recall that the Virgin Megastore on Aston Quay got 10 vinyl copies in - I bought one, a friend bought another and an unknown person bought a copy. The remaining 7 LPs stayed there for weeks on end and were eventually reduced to £3.99.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

While the US version is not going for as much as the Euro version, still a decent sum considering I would have paid less than $20 US for mine when it came out.

https://www.discogs.com/release/129229- ... Love-To-Yo

Mine is not NM, would be VG probably, it's be DJed out a few times, but the median is $450 CAD. No too bad.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I remember seeing it in Big Brother Records when it was in Fade St; played it on the listening post but it didn't grab me at the time.....
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:51 pm I remember seeing it in Big Brother Records when it was in Fade St; played it on the listening post but it didn't grab me at the time.....
That's too bad. I was already in to Dan the Automator as he'd produced Dr. Octagon, which I was, and am a huge fan off. He also produced Deltron 3030 and co produced Handsome Boy Modeling School with Prince Paul all around that time. I didn't need much convincing to pick it up. I also got the chance to see them perform as Lovage in Chicago around 2001 or so. Great show.

Big Brother Records was decent for the time. Later at the same spot I picked up several funk and disco 45s when it became R.A.G.E. records around 2006 or 7.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Yeah, have heard it since and realise I should have grabbed it

I still have my Dr Octagon album, triple LP on Mo Wax - https://www.discogs.com/release/97037-D ... Dr-Octagon
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Oh yeah. I still have mine. I think I still have stickers on one of them for when I used it in a battle one time in The Kitchen nightclub about '98 or '99.
Kool Keith is the artist I have the most records of. I mean, he's putting out about 4 albums a year and has done for over 2 decades. Plus all the collab stuff and singles.

I was prepping a Kool Keith mega mix a few years ago and had a few unopened bits at the time. I thought about cracking some of them for the mix but before I did I checked discogs and amazon, just out of interest. Holy F! Some of them even opened going for pretty mad money. Needless to say I didn't open them and did the mix with what I already had open. I've gotten a decent few of his records since then and not opened them. Kinda lame, I know, but it's almost a guarantee they will be worth a lot more in a few years.

Here is the mix anyway:
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Came across this other record I have that is going for 3 to 500 CAD

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/975346?ev=rb

I love this album, strange how I rarely play it.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I have it on CD; bought the 12" of Confederation Trough. Sold my Drukqs 4LP a couple of years back; did well. Was always awkward to store.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I lost my Drukqs box in a move somehow. Still have the 4xLPs in a plastic sleeve, which to me is the important part.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I think this is the version I have of this album. Averaging $100

https://www.discogs.com/release/74264-Bj%C3%B6rk-Post
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Norman Breaks wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:19 pm I think this is the version I have of this album. Averaging $100

https://www.discogs.com/release/74264-Bj%C3%B6rk-Post
Snap.
Another £1.99 special from Virgin; I bought three of them - have one left.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:40 am Snap.
Another £1.99 special from Virgin; I bought three of them - have one left.
You have the pink vinyl version?
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Norman Breaks wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:37 pm You have the pink vinyl version?
Sorry was viewing earlier on mobile so hard to see the differences.

The UK black vinyl is what I had - https://www.discogs.com/release/333738-Bj%C3%B6rk-Post
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Seems to be going for more rn too.