Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Funk

The universal language of mankind
Norman Breaks

Funk

Post by Norman Breaks »

Hey all GUBUs and GUBUets.

Who likes funk? George Clinton turned 80 years young yesterday.

Let's all groove to some funk!

Norman Breaks

Re: Funk

Post by Norman Breaks »

Random funk track.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I played this classic twice to two different crowds over the weekend and got great reception both times.

Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Posted this in the soundtracks thread. It's too funky to not post in here.

Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Recorded this all vinyl funk mix yesterday.

I'll try to put the tracklist up this eve.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I thought I knew all the P-Funk and off shoots like Mutiny, Qwaazar etc but these guys are new to me. They were on Westbound, same label as Parliament but I don't know if any of the musicians were in both groups.
I found very little about them online. From Ohio as far as I can tell.

Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I just picked up this album Moonshadows by Orgone. Pretty funky and a bit of rock style in there. I like it. #modernfunk

Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

RIP Betty Davis. Possibly the original Funky Diva

Post by 95438756 »

First time I noticed this thread February 2022!

Far more edifying than a thread about techno on boards in which the OP declares in the opening post that if you are much older than a fresher in full time college you may just feck off and crawl back to your hole.

There's some good funk on Vimeo too. I'll try and post a link later on here.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Classic.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Missed Chaka Khan's birthday by a day.

69 years young. Still amazing.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

ESP
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Hip-O-Select's Funk Box got me into this

Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Norman Breaks wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:21 pm I thought I knew all the P-Funk and off shoots like Mutiny, Qwaazar etc but these guys are new to me. They were on Westbound, same label as Parliament but I don't know if any of the musicians were in both groups.
I found very little about them online. From Ohio as far as I can tell.

I was in Atlanta recently and went digging and found a copy of this. Couldn't believe it! Cover was a bit beat up but record was in good shape. Decent price too.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Pretty slept on classic. Sampled by De La Soul among others.

nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Great tune, Gang Starr as well I think.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Very surprised I couldn't find this on whosampled.com:

Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I was at a record fare over the weekend and snagged this Funkadelic album. I wasn't too familiar with it as you don't see it often. Si I did what any fan and music nerd would have done and I goggled it. Landed on the wiki page and read this:

Due to the combination of several factors, by the end of the 1970s, the Parliament-Funkadelic enterprise was starting to crumble. Dissatisfaction with George Clinton's style of financial management led to the departure of additional key members Bernie Worrell, "Billy Bass" Nelson, Glenn Goins and Jerome Brailey. Haskins, Simon, and Thomas (along with Clinton and bass vocalist Ray Davis) had been members of The Parliaments since the band's inception in the mid-1950s. Throughout the 1960s and into the 1970s, they (Haskins, Simon, and Thomas) felt increasingly marginalized by the influx of new P-Funk musicians,[4] and in 1977, refused to sign a Backstage Management contract requiring them to relinquish all rights to the names Parliament and Funkadelic. Shortly after the trio left Parliament-Funkadelic, they formed their own band, which they also named "Funkadelic," and recorded Connections & Disconnections. Their use of the name Funkadelic resulted in an acrimonious legal dispute with Clinton's organization, and is rumored to have contributed to accelerating the disintegration of Parliament-Funkadelic.[1][5]

TD:DR, Some former member of Parliament were disappointed with George Clinton and decided to splint and release their own album under the Funkadelic name, sans George.

It's still funky, no doubt. Makes me wonder if the P-Funk group called themselves Mutiny because of this or a similar situation. Must google that now, lol.

Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Chi-lites - Stones Out My Mind
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Here's a favourite of mine

Fugi - Mary, Don't Take Me On No Bad Trip

When Tower Records opened in Dublin in 1993, they stocked a great range of US compilation CDs on the Rhino label. I bought as many as I could get my hands on. The In Yo Face series was great for funk - a gateway. https://www.discogs.com/label/692059-In ... ts-Of-Funk
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Faster tempo funk track by the legendary Isaac Hayes
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I asked gptgo.ai to list modern funk bands. This is what I got back:

1. Vulfpeck
2. Khruangbin
3. Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals
4. The Internet
5. Thundercat
6. Scary Pockets
7. Turkuaz
8. Lettuce
9. Snarky Puppy
10. Cory Wong
11. Jungle
12. Jamiroquai
13. The Motet
14. Monophonics
15. Orgōne
16. Galactic
17. The New Mastersounds
18. The Budos Band
19. The Greyboy Allstars
20. Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band.

I've heard of 11/20 so I've got some homework to do!
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

“When I created the music, I just did it from my heart and from my soul. I didn’t really think about, ‘Well, who’s gonna like this, who isn’t gonna like it?’ I just created the music.” — Betty Davis

This year marks the 50th anniversary of Betty Davis’ self-titled debut — an electrifying artistic statement that launched one of modern music’s most revolutionary figures. To celebrate the visionary singer, songwriter, producer, and fashion icon’s broadly influential career, acclaimed reissue label Light in the Attic is revisiting four essential titles from The Queen of Funk’s catalog: Betty Davis (1973), They Say I’m Different (1974), Is It Love Or Desire? (recorded in 1976, released in 2009), as well as the first-ever vinyl release of Crashin’ From Passion, which captures Davis’ final 1979 sessions. All four tiles were produced in close collaboration with Davis, who sadly passed away in 2022.

Betty Davis, They Say I’m Different, and Crashin’ From Passion were remastered by Dave Cooley at Elysian Masters and pressed on vinyl at Record Technology, Inc. (RTI). For the aforementioned three titles, the accompanying booklets include a treasure trove of rare photos from the era, plus lyrics, and new liner notes by writer, ethnomusicologist, and Davis’ close friend, Danielle Maggio, who integrates interviews that she conducted with Davis, marking her last-ever interviews. They Say I’m Different also includes a fold-out 24x36 poster. Is It Love Or Desire? was remastered by GRAMMY®-nominated engineer John Baldwin and pressed on vinyl at Record Technology, Inc. (RTI). The album includes liner notes from journalist, DJ, and professor Oliver Wang.

Each album will be available on CD, black wax, and in a variety of exclusive color variants. All titles will be released on August 25th. Read below for more information on Davis and the individual albums.

Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Merry Christmas