Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What are you listening to at the moment?

The universal language of mankind
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Del.Monte »

A really cracker tonight and even better as it was given to me with a pile of CDs and DVDs by a friend who runs a secondhand shop. The sleeve is past its sell by date but the disc is perfect. It is a Sunday Independent promo disc from 2005 and features a concert by Chris de Burgh recorded in Dortmund, Germany in 2004. I have never bought anything by Chris de Burgh but always liked his stuff and now it reminds me of a friend from my misspent youth who is sadly no longer with us. Chris de Burgh is quite an act but he bought and eventually closed down my old Prep school and I can't forgive him - ever! Despite that, this CD is a keeper well it's hardly saleable. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Norman Breaks wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:59 pm BICEP were announce for Forbidden Fruit. I like what I've heard so for.
[media]hxxps://youtu.be/oq2Oq1J6t70?si=wWZlrQXf3shIwjuo[/media]
My daughter (25) has me listening to Bicep as well, makes me feel so old when I share classic trance and techno tunes from the early to mid 90s and she says she's heard a modern remix. Like this one

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Don't know why but Billy Preston's great funk tune "Outa Space" popped into my head and I had to hear it again. I had it on a 45 when it came out in 1971. A session keyboards player, his CV reads like that of Joey the Lips from "The Commitments" - Little Richard, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, the Everly Brothers, Reverend James Cleveland, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones....

'no more blah blah blah'
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Speaking of space themed funk, this Johnny Guitar Watson track popped into my mind recently during a cycle.

nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Sade - Promise on vinyl

Brilliant
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Never heard of him before - really liked that track. According to Wiki he had some backstory and there's lots more stuff for me to look into.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Tonight time for some classical listening as I check more discs for quality before re-boxing for sale. I grew up on classical music so it's no hardship listening to these albums. I don't have to check most that I buy as collectors of classical music tend to look after their discs. This one is an exception and looks like it was kept in a shed with no roof. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Didn't leave the house at all today so plenty of music with this Guardian newspaper promo CD from Fatboy Slim being the last one before I dive back into Bosch: Legacy on Prime.

I've never knowingly listened to or recall hearing anything by him before but at least I recognised the name. Quite catchy but a little goes a long way so he's up for sale tomorrow. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another strange one which I was just checking for quality. I liked Roxy Music back in the day but never came across this album before. Soothing but not sufficient to save it for my own collection.

'no more blah blah blah'
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

Hi Del you might not know Fatboyslim was in the Housemartins.
See him at 1:05 eating a ham sandwich.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Fratello wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:20 am Hi Del you might not know Fatboyslim was in the Housemartins.
See him at 1:05 eating a ham sandwich.
The only House Martins that I know of are the ones that return with the Swallows every summer. Sorry, I'm a dinosaur - no time for music from 1980-1997 - feckin trains to blame. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Was DJing a corporate work party. They specifically asked for 90s dance. This was one of the ones I played.

Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Norman Breaks wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:49 pm Was DJing a corporate work party. They specifically asked for 90s dance. This was one of the ones I played.

Of course they did, you might as well have been in a straightjacket for good measure. You have my sympathy indulging a moronic anthem for entitled simpletons.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Berties_Horse wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:28 am Of course they did, you might as well have been in a straightjacket for good measure. You have my sympathy indulging a moronic anthem for entitled simpletons.
When you're playing Daft Punk and someone comes up and asking if you have any dance music, that's when you know it's a lost cause. :roll:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Started off with Garth Brooks: Greatest Hits.....okay until about five tracks in and then DVD started sticking... into recycling and on with another recent purchase T-Rex: Children of the Revolution - a double Greatest Hits album which cost just €2 and seems okay so far. Used to love Marc Bolan back in the early '70s but the stuff hasn't dated well. On sale tomorrow if it behaves. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

A let well know Marvin Gaye album and song.

nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Norman Breaks wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:23 pm When you're playing Daft Punk and someone comes up and asking if you have any dance music, that's when you know it's a lost cause. :roll:
I put on an 80s night at New Ross rugby club in 2011. Packed. Put on Guns N' Roses Paradise City and the dancefloor was jammed. All bar a handful of punters were out. A girl comes up and says "can you play something we can dance to".
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Something really different (for me) tonight. Listened through and found it quite quite soothing, I don't think I have ever listened to a Joe Dolan album before. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

More 70s stuff tonight, The era before the music died....So relaxing compared to some of the rubblsh that I have to listen to before selling. Today I managed half of "Stop the Clocks" by Oasis - a two disc CD set but I couldn't make myself listen to the second CD - it looks unplayed - I can understand why. Dreadful stuff but somebody has already bought it. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Michael Oldfield - The Best Of 1992-2003 2CD

Great selection of singles and remixes. Nicely complements the 8CD box of albums from that era.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I picked up this album during a short impromptu dig yesterday: