Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Opera

The universal language of mankind
esdras

Opera

Post by esdras »

The pandemic, or rather the free streams from metopera.org (which ended this week) has gotten me into Opera.

I find that I enjoy very much it as background music while I am working.

Anyone else the same? Are there any suggestions for overlooked gems?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Opera

Post by CelticRambler »

Ah janey, I'd completely forgotten they were doing that. :x I would also listen quite often (usually the Met's matinée broadcast on Lyric FM) as background music, but contrary to just about everyone else, the pandemic means I'm out of the house most of the day, so haven't had much need for background music!

In the Before Times, I'd have gone to a few live performances too. Mostly the more lyric operas (probably have the Christian Brothers to thank for that, as we had a Gilbert&Sullivan operetta every year, co-production with the Sisters of Mercy on the other side of the wall ... ) Have never been able to get into the heavy stuff like Wagner, and not mad on much of the modern, tuneless works either.

If ever you get the chance, I'd highly recommend you make a trip some day to see a performance on the lake stage in Bregenz, Austria. A few years ago, I took an unwilling SonNo.1 there to see Carmen, en route to a completely different event. Fifteen minutes in, it was cancelled due to torrential rain :cry: ... but as they run the show for two seasons, and this was the first, I resolved to go back again. SonNo.1 said he'd like to see the rest of it too!

I don't often use the word aaaaMAZing, but that was an aaaaMAZing performance. Well worth going back for, and a bargain at 50€. This was the ad for it:

They're on the postponed second season of Rigoletto this year; Madam Butterfly is next.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Well ...

There's a slim chance I might have to do a few weeks' work in the East at the end of July, into August, and I was thinking that I might treat myself to a trip to Bregenz for Madam Butterfly at the end of my contract, but as I've never really listened to it closely, I decided to make the effort this week.

:? What a disappointment. Teen bride in arranged marriage gets ghosted by her foreign husband. I knew that was the vague outline, but didn't realise that's all there is. Two and a half hours, with only two memorable musical numbers and almost no action. I think I'll save the ticket price and go walking in the Alps instead. :(
46a

Post by 46a »

Dirty tramp makes me diamonds